passing external values to shaders

Post by Robert Johnsto » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 18:07:46

how can you pass values from Maya to a renderman shader. Because I
have done some really nice smoke simulations in opengl and was hoping
to implement them in maya and render them through renderman. Is easy
to create a mel function such as:

float sDepth(float x, float y, float z);

to Get the density of the smoke at any given point inside a cube, but
then how can you pass the return value on to a volumetric shader?

Thanks in advance

AJ

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish,
and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day." - Anon

1. reading values from an external program

Help!

I'm not sure if I can do this, but can somebody give me a clue as to
whether it is possible or not.

I have a function that needs to be numerically integrated to provide a
number.  This function has several variables in it, and at the moment
I can plot the results using

(for example).

What I want to do is to fit the output from the program to some data by
varying the values to the program `formfactor'.

Is this possible?

(At the moment the program is written in C.  If it can be re-written using
gnuplot that would be wonderful: it's only a for loop).

Thanks,
Owen

2. Help me reach Trip Hawkins

3. passing values

4. Can't get rid of PSP5 icons

5. Passing values to delcared object?

6. Passing Matrices by Value in C

7. Shadow pass, surface and displacement shader

8. Shader parameters passing through arrays - Help

9. passing lists to shaders

10. Ambient Values of a shader