MORE ON 3D MODEL FORMATS, FTP SITE, etc

Post by bar.. » Tue, 27 Oct 1992 18:59:13

G'Day Net-ters

After reading the various comments on 3-D Object File Formats I
thought that I would have my say.

I've been using GeomView recently and it seems to be able to cope with quite
a few of the formats that people have been talking about.
viz.    QUADrilaterals (also triangles)
        MESH (rectangular)
        BBP/BEZ (Bezier surface patches)
        OFF (polyhedra)
        VECTor (points/lines)

These are collectively referred to as OOGL geometric objects (forget what OOGL
stands for, something like Object Oriented Graphics Library I guess).

Anyone interested in considering this group of formats for storing and
conversion from/to ?

1. FOLLOW-UP: FTP SITE FOR 3D MODELS/UTILS

Well, the response we have gotten indicates there is great interest so at
this point it looks like it will probably be a go. Some clarifications as
to what we the contents of this ftp server will be:

      - What we want to have: 3D object files, supporting textures/maps/etc
        for those objects, and utilities to convert files between different
        3D file formats. 3D graphic demos and/or PD raytracers are already
        collected and available at other big sites, so I don't want to
        waste HD space by having duplicates of those.

      - Since we use Wavefront, that's our main file format for 3D
        objects (.obj files). We *do* want to support other file formats,
        so long as we can get a converter utility for them. For those
        who wish to contribute: if you have a model in a weird format,
        try to send us a utility that will convert it to something more
        common or at least a short text file describing this format.
        I'm particularly interested in DXF-to-anything and anything-to-DXF
        converters.

      - I'd also be interested in having any programs that can be useful
        to those making or viewing these models.

So, basically this will be a "repository" for objects and supporting files.
We'll probably expand on this as time goes by (and as our resources allow),
but for now, that's it. BTW, whatever file formats we carry, we're *NOT*
going to add to the chaos by creating a new one! I've seen several posts
regarding a format called "OFF" which sounds promising as a base-format.
Could someone please forward me some info on that?

Any comments/suggestions/opinions are more than welcome, as now would be
the best time for us to hear them! I'll be setting up the server and files
soon and will post again once the site is ready. In the meantime, start
digging up those cool models you have because everyone else wants to
see them too!

--

disclaimer: "Opinions expressed here are mine. Typos and errors are all yours."

2. Portable GUI toolkits?

3. FTP SITE FOR 3D OBJECT MODELS/UTILITIES

4. Tree and plant image generation

5. Follow-up #2: FTP SITE FOR 3D MODELS...

6. HELP 3DS PROFESSIONAL NEEDED!

7. ftp sites for 3D models

8. FTP SITE FOR 3D OBJECT MODELS/UTILITIES

9. ftp sites for 3D solid modeling TIFFS ?

10. Follow-up #2: FTP SITE FOR 3D MODELS...

11. site updated- 3d models, texturers, icons, lines, etc