1. FOLLOW-UP: FTP SITE FOR 3D MODELS/UTILS
Well, the response we have gotten indicates there is great interest so at
this point it looks like it will probably be a go. Some clarifications as
to what we the contents of this ftp server will be:
- What we want to have: 3D object files, supporting textures/maps/etc
for those objects, and utilities to convert files between different
3D file formats. 3D graphic demos and/or PD raytracers are already
collected and available at other big sites, so I don't want to
waste HD space by having duplicates of those.
- Since we use Wavefront, that's our main file format for 3D
objects (.obj files). We *do* want to support other file formats,
so long as we can get a converter utility for them. For those
who wish to contribute: if you have a model in a weird format,
try to send us a utility that will convert it to something more
common or at least a short text file describing this format.
I'm particularly interested in DXF-to-anything and anything-to-DXF
- I'd also be interested in having any programs that can be useful
to those making or viewing these models.
So, basically this will be a "repository" for objects and supporting files.
We'll probably expand on this as time goes by (and as our resources allow),
but for now, that's it. BTW, whatever file formats we carry, we're *NOT*
going to add to the chaos by creating a new one! I've seen several posts
regarding a format called "OFF" which sounds promising as a base-format.
Could someone please forward me some info on that?
Any comments/suggestions/opinions are more than welcome, as now would be
the best time for us to hear them! I'll be setting up the server and files
soon and will post again once the site is ready. In the meantime, start
digging up those cool models you have because everyone else wants to
see them too!
disclaimer: "Opinions expressed here are mine. Typos and errors are all yours."
2. Portable GUI toolkits?
3. FTP SITE FOR 3D OBJECT MODELS/UTILITIES
4. Tree and plant image generation
5. Follow-up #2: FTP SITE FOR 3D MODELS...
6. HELP 3DS PROFESSIONAL NEEDED!
7. ftp sites for 3D models
8. FTP SITE FOR 3D OBJECT MODELS/UTILITIES
9. ftp sites for 3D solid modeling TIFFS ?
10. Follow-up #2: FTP SITE FOR 3D MODELS...
11. site updated- 3d models, texturers, icons, lines, etc