UDO importation problem/POV-ray rendering problem?

UDO importation problem/POV-ray rendering problem?

Post by Ross Girshic » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I just downloaded the newest version of Moray and Pov-ray.  I do my
modelling in Rhino3d, and my scene setup/rendering in Moray/Pov-ray.  I ran
into an interesting problem involving the importation of UDO files (created
in Rhino) into Moray.  The geometry looks fine, however, when I render the
model the surface appears to have warps and bubbles in it (almost like a
water gel is over the light).  This occurs even in simple exports, such as a
rectangular surface.  The problem isn't the texture, since I did the test
rendering with a matte material.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
-Ross Girshick

Post by Peter Olausso » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I just downloaded the newest version of Moray and Pov-ray.  I do my
> modelling in Rhino3d, and my scene setup/rendering in Moray/Pov-ray.  I ran
> into an interesting problem involving the importation of UDO files (created
> in Rhino) into Moray.  The geometry looks fine, however, when I render the
> model the surface appears to have warps and bubbles in it (almost like a
> water gel is over the light).  This occurs even in simple exports, such as a
> rectangular surface.  The problem isn't the texture, since I did the test
> rendering with a matte material.  Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds strange. I have rendered models from Rhino in POV-Ray without any
such problems (the only one being that the models got a "rotate x*90"
applied to them). I didn't use Moray but since it doesn't do any rendering
it cannot matter. Is the actual geometry of the models distorted?

/Peter, www.hexmaster.com

UDO importation problem/POV-ray rendering problem?

Post by Ross Girshic » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I exported a POV file straight from Rhino and it looked perfectly fine when
I rendered it.  So the problem is either with rhino exporting or Moray
importing.  I would guess that it's Moray, because, in the previous version
of Moray this same transfer worked.

-Ross

Quote:>Sounds strange. I have rendered models from Rhino in POV-Ray without any
>such problems (the only one being that the models got a "rotate x*90"
>applied to them). I didn't use Moray but since it doesn't do any rendering
>it cannot matter. Is the actual geometry of the models distorted?

>/Peter, www.hexmaster.com

UDO importation problem/POV-ray rendering problem?

Post by The Docto » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

This is very interesting. I've been experiencing the same problem with
imported UDO's from the Helixir product. If you don't know it, Helixir
produces helixes (what else?) and has a direct UDO export function. What I
did note that the warbling problem is more evident with the use of some
custom textures; doesn't seem to happen with the "canned", standard POV
ones.

Curious.
--

The Doctor

HTTP: www.dasign.com

I exported a POV file straight from Rhino and it looked perfectly fine when
I rendered it.  So the problem is either with rhino exporting or Moray
importing.  I would guess that it's Moray, because, in the previous version
of Moray this same transfer worked.

-Ross

Quote:>Sounds strange. I have rendered models from Rhino in POV-Ray without any
>such problems (the only one being that the models got a "rotate x*90"
>applied to them). I didn't use Moray but since it doesn't do any rendering
>it cannot matter. Is the actual geometry of the models distorted?

>/Peter, www.hexmaster.com

UDO importation problem/POV-ray rendering problem?

Post by Twys » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Same here. I've used Elefont for making bevelled fonts, and the UDO/INC is
messed up right now.. The bevels seem to go the other way (indented)... and
previous versions of Moray (including the betas) were fine.

I have no clue why this does it.. since the UDO is only a representation of
the .inc file, and nothing you do to the UDO apart from transformations,
 scale, rotate, translate) will change the _shape_.

Twyst

UDO importation problem/POV-ray rendering problem?

Post by Alex Magido » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I did an experiment- I made a generic helix in helixer, exported it in UDO/INC,
and in RAW. I converted the RAW to a UDO/INC via 3DWin(Came with moray). Then,
I took another object that I had made with STOMP 3D, a sphere, which I had
converted to UDO/INC before I got the new moray, and I put that in the scene. I
then reconverted the same object, and put that in hte scene as well.When
rendered, the helixes had THE EXACT SAME surface deformations(weird ripples,
almost like a normal), however, the spheres looked exactly the same as they did
in the old Moray.. I haven't had this problem with helixer before, as far as I
can remember. As for products of Rhino, I don't have a clue, as I don't have
Rhino itself. Perhaps someone else can do a similar experiment.

--
"Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last river has
been poisoned. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only then will you

UDO importation problem/POV-ray rendering problem?

Post by Alex Magido » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Furthermore, when I make a group, and texture them all seperatly, the Helixes and
the STOMP object stayed with teh same differences as before. But if I texture teh
entire CSG, the STOMP object gets messed up as well. Any ideas,Lutz?

> I did an experiment- I made a generic helix in helixer, exported it in UDO/INC,
> and in RAW. I converted the RAW to a UDO/INC via 3DWin(Came with moray). Then,
> I took another object that I had made with STOMP 3D, a sphere, which I had
> converted to UDO/INC before I got the new moray, and I put that in the scene. I
> then reconverted the same object, and put that in hte scene as well.When
> rendered, the helixes had THE EXACT SAME surface deformations(weird ripples,
> almost like a normal), however, the spheres looked exactly the same as they did
> in the old Moray.. I haven't had this problem with helixer before, as far as I
> can remember. As for products of Rhino, I don't have a clue, as I don't have
> Rhino itself. Perhaps someone else can do a similar experiment.

> > This is very interesting. I've been experiencing the same problem with
> > imported UDO's from the Helixir product. If you don't know it, Helixir
> > produces helixes (what else?) and has a direct UDO export function. What I
> > did note that the warbling problem is more evident with the use of some
> > custom textures; doesn't seem to happen with the "canned", standard POV
> > ones.

> > Curious.
> > --

> > The Doctor

> > HTTP: www.dasign.com

> > I exported a POV file straight from Rhino and it looked perfectly fine when
> > I rendered it.  So the problem is either with rhino exporting or Moray
> > importing.  I would guess that it's Moray, because, in the previous version
> > of Moray this same transfer worked.

> > -Ross

> > >Sounds strange. I have rendered models from Rhino in POV-Ray without any
> > >such problems (the only one being that the models got a "rotate x*90"
> > >applied to them). I didn't use Moray but since it doesn't do any rendering
> > >it cannot matter. Is the actual geometry of the models distorted?

> > >/Peter, www.hexmaster.com

> --
> "Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last river has
> been poisoned. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only then will you
> find that money cannot be eaten."- Cree Indian Prophecy

--
"Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last river has
been poisoned. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only then will you
find that money cannot be eaten."- Cree Indian Prophecy

UDO importation problem/POV-ray rendering problem?

Post by Lutz Kretzschm » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Furthermore, when I make a group, and texture them all seperatly, the Helixes and
>the STOMP object stayed with teh same differences as before. But if I texture teh
>entire CSG, the STOMP object gets messed up as well. Any ideas,Lutz?

Hmmm. <sheepish grin>. I think it may be that the default texture that
I included (by mistake) in the current release has a bumpy normal. Try
deleting or editing the MorayPOV.INC file and removing the default
texture.

Let me know if that solves it.

- Lutz

UDO importation problem/POV-ray rendering problem?

Post by Lutz Kretzschm » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I did an experiment- I made a generic helix in helixer, exported it in UDO/INC,

I just checked Helixir myself and found what the problem is, at least
on my setup.

Helixir produced an UDO file that contained numbers that used the
comma as the decimal point. i.e. 43,60 instead of 43.60. Importing
this UDO leads to wavy wireframe representation (no decimal places
read). I could not render this, because POV-Ray did not like the
commas either. After changing the commas to periods in the UDO and INC
files it rendered and was displayed correctly.

I assume that this is a machine locale problem, since in Germany the
comma is the 'normal' decimal point. I assume that Helixir and Elefont
are writing out their numbers with a standard Win API function that
uses the locale info.

Unfortunately neither POV-Ray nor Moray use locale-sensitive input
functions.

Anyone that is having UDO import problems, please check whether this
could be the cause.

The next maintenance release (due today or tomorrow) will read commas
in decimal numbers in UDOs. But this still doesn't solve the problem
with the INC files.

- Lutz

  http://www.stmuc.com/moray

UDO importation problem/POV-ray rendering problem?

Post by Ross Girshic » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

BINGO!  Thanks alot, that was the problem.  Oooooh, good I can return to
using Moray =).

Greatest thanks,
-Ross

Quote:>Hmmm. <sheepish grin>. I think it may be that the default texture that
>I included (by mistake) in the current release has a bumpy normal. Try
>deleting or editing the MorayPOV.INC file and removing the default
>texture.

>Let me know if that solves it.

>- Lutz

1. POV Ray, rendering problem

Hi, ALL!

I use POV Ray 3.1 to render rather complicated polyhedron (Puanso
solid), that is
situated above the white plane and under the white light. The problem
is, that when
I choose a simple glass  as material it is made of, I see several black
triangles inside
the figure, behind the visible surface. When I choose non-transparent
texture, it looks
OK. I tried to use Radiosity, increased the recursion_limit, but it
didn't help.

Does anybody know what should I do?

Thank you.

Anton.

2. Pleas shut up, Ian!

3. Field Rendering Problem with PoV-Ray

4. {SCAM SCAM SCAM] Super Offer! Great Brand Name Software Free! Take a Look!

5. POV Ray 3 256 Colour Render problem.

6. ===> fs: 3DS Workstation <===

7. Having major problems with UDO's, need help

8. maya ascii (.ma) format

9. Req: Problem: GIF ex/importation

10. Problem with MPEG_ENCODE and POV-Ray

11. Found a modeler for POV-ray, but having a problem

12. wood grain problem in POV-Ray

13. Memory problem with large POV-Ray scene