VALUE OF GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR CARDS FOR DOS JPEG-VIEWING ?

VALUE OF GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR CARDS FOR DOS JPEG-VIEWING ?

Post by Robert Pawlows » Fri, 30 Sep 1994 21:42:52

Can someone advise me on how I can speed up the display of JPEG images on my
80286/287 PC.  I have 640K RAM and operate under MS-DOS with a TRIDENT 8900 SVGA
video card.

In looking at an image, my monitor displays a horizontal strip of the image,
then the PC grinds away for several seconds, generates the subsequent image strip,
and then this process repeats until the whole image is displayed.

Aside from upgrading to a higher-end machine, I've wondered whether additional RAM
would speed up the display process, or whether a graphics accelerator card might
help.

Any advice or comments would be welcome.  Thanks.

Bob Pawlowski

VALUE OF GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR CARDS FOR DOS JPEG-VIEWING ?

Post by Tris Orendor » Sun, 02 Oct 1994 06:22:47

Quote:>Can someone advise me on how I can speed up the display of JPEG images on my
>80286/287 PC.  I have 640K RAM and operate under MS-DOS with a TRIDENT 8900 SVGA
>video card.

>In looking at an image, my monitor displays a horizontal strip of the image,
>then the PC grinds away for several seconds, generates the subsequent image strip,
>and then this process repeats until the whole image is displayed.

>Aside from upgrading to a higher-end machine, I've wondered whether additional RAM
>would speed up the display process, or whether a graphics accelerator card might
>help.

>Any advice or comments would be welcome.  Thanks.

Your best bet is to upgrade to a 486 or Pentium.  A 286 is a joke for
unpacking jpegs.
--

GCS (v2.1): d++ H- s g+ p? !au a w+ v++ C+ UC++++ P+ L 3 E- N++ K++ W+ M !V
            -po+ Y+ t+ !5 j+ R- G? !tv b++ D+ B? e++ u+ h f+ r++ n+ y+

Post by s9354.. » Wed, 05 Oct 1994 17:10:23

: Your best bet is to upgrade to a 486 or Pentium.  A 286 is a joke for
: unpacking jpegs.
: --

I agree here, your problem is that JPEG uses a mathematical formula to
  encode the data. The delay you are noticing is due to your CPU grinding
  away at the maths, doing major type numbercrunching ... Getting a faster
  graphics accelerator will speed up the display, but not the decoding, thus
  you will notice almost no difference. A slow acellerator can be identified
  by noticing how the image displays, if you can see every line being drawn,
  rather than a block at a time, a faster accellerator will speed this up.
  In your case though I would bet that the block is displayed in a flash
  but the waiting is due to your slow cpu (since jpeg is mostly integer
  calculations a FPU usually doesn't speed things up either !!)

JAV

Post by Rob Kouwenbe » Wed, 05 Oct 1994 18:10:36

:Your best bet is to upgrade to a 486 or Pentium.  A 286 is a joke for
:unpacking jpegs.

As is a Pentium a joke compared to a PowerMac, price, performance, ease of use.

Greetings, Rob Kouwenberg

1. QUESTION: Windows Accelerator Cards & DOS Video

Hi!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to be asking (but it looks like
it...). I am considering buying a new video card for my computer (a
386sx-16).  I do mostly windows stuff but still considerable DOS and some
of the DOS work is somewhat graphics-intensive - mostly plots of
mathematical functions using various plotting programs,

My question:  I have heard that cards such as the Diamond Speedstar 24X
and ATI Graphics Ultra et.al.  enhance Windows graphics performance
considerably at the cost of DOS speed.  What I want to know is, will these
cards be any faster in DOS than my Cardinal VGA 100+ ??  I ask because I
know the difference between "fast" and "slow" and "abysimal" is often very
subjective, and I want to know if anyone has any quantitative comparisons,
etc.??

If the info is helpful, I have a CTX 14-something monitor (640x480 analog,
I think), so I am more interested in the colors than hi-res until I can
afford a better monitor.  I also cannot spend more that $200 or so.

Any info, recommendations, etc. would be VERY helpful!!

I don't visit this part of the net very often, and digging through 500+
unread articles to find your help is prohibitive.  Thank you!!

Thanks in Advance!

Mark S. Underwood
EE Student, University of Kentucky
Lab Assistant, Boyd Hall Microlab
        (a tiny little division of UK Library Microlabs)

--  Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick
--  themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
--        Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

2. What is a simple algorithm for creating non-overlapping rectangles?

3. FS: Mactell Vision 3D Pro graphics accelerator card

4. Help

5. 24-bit Graphics/CPU accelerator cards?

6. Q: Looking for b&w graphics repositories

7. FS: Mactell Vision 3D Pro graphics accelerator card

8. Need help with Bitmaps

9. Graphics accelerator cards and rendering?

10. Re graphics accelerator cards

11. Mac Graphics Accelerator Card advice?

12. new Graphic card or Accelerator?

13. FA on Yahoo: Leadtek Winfast 3D L220 Graphics Accelerator card for PC