Anybody using Polyray?

Post by John P. Beal » Fri, 19 Sep 1997 04:00:00

: I first "discovered" raytracing using Polyray 5 years ago, then switched
: to POV because it was a little bit easier to use.  Now I've checked back
: in on Polyray and am quite impressed with features like procedural
: [...]

It's been awhile since I did any tracings, but I think Polyray is a
great program. I particularly like the true cylindrical and spherical
heightfields it offers. Xander, if you're listening, any chance on you
releasing your algorithm ? :-)

-john

Anybody using Polyray?

Post by Sinde » Fri, 19 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I first "discovered" raytracing using Polyray 5 years ago, then switched
to POV because it was a little bit easier to use.  Now I've checked back
in on Polyray and am quite impressed with features like procedural
texturing, UV mapping, NURBS support, built in lensflares, scanline and
wireframe previews etc.  You can bet that as soon as I upgrade my
financial situation from broke I'll be registering (a paltry $35).  I'm
just wondering if anybody else is using it.
--

"Evil will always win because good is dumb."

Anybody using Polyray?

Post by a » Sat, 20 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I've used polyray in the past and am quite impressed with it's
features, particularly the animation features.  It's a great
program.

Derek Owens

Post by Alexander Enzma » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> : I first "discovered" raytracing using Polyray 5 years ago, then switched
> : to POV because it was a little bit easier to use.  Now I've checked back
> : in on Polyray and am quite impressed with features like procedural
> : [...]

> It's been awhile since I did any tracings, but I think Polyray is a
> great program. I particularly like the true cylindrical and spherical
> heightfields it offers. Xander, if you're listening, any chance on you
> releasing your algorithm ? :-)

I've been way too busy to do much in the way of support for Polyray, so I
may indeed release the code for spherical & cylindrical hf's.  If I can
figure out how to do a web page on my wifes AOL account, I'll post a short
paper describing how it works.

BTW, David Chabot was kind enough to loan some space for a bug fix
version, Polyray v1.8a.  The URL is:
      http://pages.infinit.net/gollum/polyray/poly1.htm

It's a a Win32 based executable with a couple of minor fixes: u/v mapping
for .obj files, orientation problems fixed in raw files, allows texture
definitions in DLL's.  There is a Windowed display, but it crashes a lot
(If I knew what the problem was, I'd fix it), so you should probably avoid
display if you don't need it (-V 0).  I probably fixed a few other things,
but really don't remember what they were.  It was also compiled with VC++
5.0, so it should run faster than the Watcom compile (and doesn't need
DOS4GW, just a DOS box in Win '95 or NT).

Xander

Anybody using Polyray?

Post by Stephen Mulca » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00

: I first "discovered" raytracing using Polyray 5 years ago, then switched
: to POV because it was a little bit easier to use.  Now I've checked back
: in on Polyray and am quite impressed with features like procedural
: texturing, UV mapping, NURBS support, built in lensflares, scanline and
: wireframe previews etc.  You can bet that as soon as I upgrade my
: financial situation from broke I'll be registering (a paltry $35).  I'm
: just wondering if anybody else is using it.

I've been using it for the last few years myself and now that I have some
money I too intend to register it. I've found it quite easy to create
some very interesting animations and I gather povray isn't as strong in
this area?

I have a small gallery at,

http://www.csn.ul.ie/~stephen/graphics.html

-stephen

1. Anybody programming for Polyray?

I am a Polyray-fan.

I was trained to program in Pascal and have started some time ago in C++ in
Windows.I have written a lot of "script-generating" algoritms for Polyray, and
intend to accellerate my MFC-learning curve by writing a polyray-modeller
under Windows-NT.

Anybody with interesting ideas for script-generators or
modelling-programs,(Especially in Polyr.) are welcome to send a message.

(I would also be intersted in any *.pi files for polyray,IF you would care to
share and think I will find it amusing,intellectually stimulaing, relevant,
perplexing, blah,blah.. :> )

Daniel van Niekerk

2. FS: Radius Video Vision Studio System (new)

3. POLYRAY: keyframe animator ('Tweener v0.8)- using MORAY to create keyframes

4. Problem with display metafiles

5. anybody used Irfan View ??

6. What is MAYA

7. anybody used WACOM PenPartner ???