Need Help with Quicktime on a Mac!

Post by Terri Clenden » Thu, 17 Nov 1994 09:58:11

A friend of mine is trying to play a .mov file with her mac version of
Quicktime.  Each time she double-clicks on the Quicktime icon a
message appears:

        System Extension
        This file adds functionality to your Macintosh
        To add this file's functionality to your Macintosh
        place the file in the extensions folder and restart
        the computer

She has done this more than once.  Is she trying to open Quicktime
the wrong way?  Is there another way to activate it besides double-
clicking on the icon?

Also,  does a flattened Quicktime movie with a .mov extension
need to be renamed in order to use it on a Mac?

Her version of Quicktime shows a 1992 date - does she need a
newer version?

ANY help is greatly  appreciated!!

Terri

--

Post by Tired & Cran » Thu, 17 Nov 1994 10:34:40

> A friend of mine is trying to play a .mov file with her mac version of
> Quicktime.  Each time she double-clicks on the Quicktime icon a
> message appears:

>         System Extension
>         This file adds functionality to your Macintosh
>         To add this file's functionality to your Macintosh
>         place the file in the extensions folder and restart
>         the computer

> She has done this more than once.  Is she trying to open Quicktime
> the wrong way?  Is there another way to activate it besides double-
> clicking on the icon?

> Also,  does a flattened Quicktime movie with a .mov extension
> need to be renamed in order to use it on a Mac?

> Her version of Quicktime shows a 1992 date - does she need a
> newer version?

> ANY help is greatly  appreciated!!

Try putting the QuickTime extension in the system folder. QuickTime is an
extension that works invisibly in the background, not an application that
you launch.
After Quicktime has been dropped in the system folder, restart the mac.
Launch a movie player application if the QuickTime movie is not self
running, and then open the movie from within the player app.
The latest version of Quicktime is 2.0, but it's a commercial product.
Better to go with  QuickTime 1.6.1 or 1.6.2 than an eariler version, if
you ccannot get your hands on 2.0.
As far as I know, a flattened movie will run, but I'm not positive about this.

/H

Post by Charles Wiltg » Thu, 17 Nov 1994 10:37:58

> A friend of mine is trying to play a .mov file with her mac version of
> Quicktime.  Each time she double-clicks on the Quicktime icon a
> message appears:

She's trying to open the QuickTime Extension.  If she tries to open an
actual *movie* everything should work fine.

Quote:>         System Extension
>         This file adds functionality to your Macintosh
>         To add this file's functionality to your Macintosh
>         place the file in the extensions folder and restart
>         the computer

Make sure she's at least done that.

Quote:> Also,  does a flattened Quicktime movie with a .mov extension
> need to be renamed in order to use it on a Mac?

No.  Does the *.mov file have a filmstrip icon?

Quote:> Her version of Quicktime shows a 1992 date - does she need a
> newer version?

Probably.  A "Get Info..." will show you the version number.  She should
have at least 1.6.1 and should get 2.0 (included in System 7.5).

--
Charles Wiltgen    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and

(INTP)              At night, the ice weasels come." - Nietzsche (Groening)
The Apocalypso!     http://www.mcs.net/~cwiltgen

Post by David Mark D » Fri, 18 Nov 1994 06:43:47

> My friend is trying to play a flattened Quicktime movie with Peter's Player.
> She has Quicktime installed in the system folder and has restarted her
> computer.  The player opens, but she cannot access the movie.  She tried
> dragging the movie icon to the player, but nothing happened.  She even
> tried renaming the file to have .MooV as an extension.  The movie itself
> appears to be in a text file format (icon), but she did download it in binary
> mode.

Sounds like it might be still binhexed. Use Compact Pro or any of
the StuffIt thingos to debinhex it, then decompress it (if necessary)
and then it should be in a viewable format. (I am assuming it was
downloaded and she tried to view it AS IT ARRIVED -- if that is the
case then this is most definitely the answer.)

David

Need Help with Quicktime on a Mac!

Post by Martin Wurz » Fri, 18 Nov 1994 06:26:30

If the move doesnt start itself automatically with a double click on
it, just drag and drop it on a movie player, like Apples MoviePlayer.
MP will launch (if it isnt a jpeg for example) and start the movie.

If you drag-and-dropped it, "save as..." the movie and next time it
will launch automatically via double-click.

Martin

______________________________
Muenchen, Bayern

Need Help with Quicktime on a Mac!

Post by Michael Beckman » Fri, 18 Nov 1994 00:24:24

writes:

Quote:> She has done this more than once.  Is she trying to open Quicktime
> the wrong way?  Is there another way to activate it besides double-
> clicking on the icon?

Drag the QuickTime icon on the System Folder and click OK in the
following dialog box. You should try to get a more current version of
QuickTime.
Then you need an application program like MoviePlayer or MoviePlay to
actually play the movie. It comes preinstalled on many macs, so it
should not be too difficult to get a copy of it, unless you already
have it.

Kind regards,
Michael Beckmann

Subject: Re: Need Help with Quicktime on a Mac!

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 94 16:24:24 +0100

>writes:

>> She has done this more than once.  Is she trying to open Quicktime
>> the wrong way?  Is there another way to activate it besides double-
>> clicking on the icon?

>Drag the QuickTime icon on the System Folder and click OK in the
>following dialog box. You should try to get a more current version of
>QuickTime.
>Then you need an application program like MoviePlayer or MoviePlay to
>actually play the movie. It comes preinstalled on many macs, so it
>should not be too difficult to get a copy of it, unless you already
>have it.

>Kind regards,
>Michael Beckmann

And SimpleText (the TeachText replacement) is also a QT movie player:
launch SimpleText, and then open the movie file.

Bob Knowlden
(Not speaking for...)
MIT/Lincoln Lab

Post by Christopher G. Hugh » Fri, 18 Nov 1994 09:00:34

> My friend is trying to play a flattened Quicktime movie with Peter's Player.
> She has Quicktime installed in the system folder and has restarted her
> computer.  The player opens, but she cannot access the movie.  She tried
> dragging the movie icon to the player, but nothing happened.  She even
> tried renaming the file to have .MooV as an extension.  The movie itself
> appears to be in a text file format (icon), but she did download it in binary
> mode.

> I have played this particular movie successfully on my IBM.

> Any suggestions?  Please...

> Terri

Could it be a Windows formated QTM?  I'm asking because I don't know if
there are different formats for the two platforms.  I would suggest
getting SimplePlayer over Peter's,  I've had more luck with it.

--
"My boys can swim!!!"

Post by Aoi Ikazuc » Fri, 18 Nov 1994 04:42:24

>My friend is trying to play a flattened Quicktime movie with Peter's Player.
>She has Quicktime installed in the system folder and has restarted her
>computer.  The player opens, but she cannot access the movie.  She tried
>dragging the movie icon to the player, but nothing happened.  She even
>tried renaming the file to have .MooV as an extension.  The movie itself
>appears to be in a text file format (icon), but she did download it in binary
>mode.
>I have played this particular movie successfully on my IBM.

Has your friend tried using ResEdit to change the file type to MooV?  The
actual file name (and extension) isn't important to Macs.  You might also want
to change the creator type to TVOD to get the filmstrip icon.

Thomas Chan

----- Cornell Japanese Animation Society (CJAS) -----
- Japan-US Association (JUSA) -- Cornell Kendo Club -
------ Web: http://fandora.resnet.cornell.edu -------

Post by Scott Bay » Fri, 18 Nov 1994 04:45:17

> > A friend of mine is trying to play a .mov file with her mac version of
> > Quicktime.  Each time she double-clicks on the Quicktime icon a
> > message appears:

[deleted]

Quote:> Try putting the QuickTime extension in the system folder. QuickTime is an
> extension that works invisibly in the background, not an application that
> you launch.

Yes.

Quote:> After Quicktime has been dropped in the system folder, restart the mac.
> Launch a movie player application if the QuickTime movie is not self
> running, and then open the movie from within the player app.

Two well-known player apps are Simple Player and Movie Player. There are
many other around the net as well. Try sumex or umich. Actually,
wherever you got Quicktime (install disk, ftp site, etc) probably has
one of these players.

Quote:> As far as I know, a flattened movie will run, but I'm not positive about this.

I'm pretty sure I've played flattened movies.

Quote:> /H

--
Scott Bayes
Hewlett-Packard Company

(303) 679-3799

All opinions are my own and do not reflect an official position of HP.

1. Need Help on Quicktime Mac

I would like to know which utility can i use to draw on a Quicktime movie.

I need to hide something on a movie and i don't want to convert the movie
frames to PICT images, then edit each one then put them back ...

Is there a Quicktime 2.1 plug in or something like that somewhere ????

As it is a one shot use i don't want to buy expensive software like
director and so on...

Please send me an e-mail

Bertrand.

2. How to use cursors in VB?

3. SGI Dials & Buttons in Motif

4. Mac Quicktime to AVI converter needed ASAP!!!

5. LightWave/Modeler Training

6. Difference between Mac Quicktime and Win Quicktime?

7. QuickTime or Mac PICT outputting program needed for Unix

8. Mac Quicktime to AVI converter needed ASAP!!!

9. QuickTime or Mac PICT outputting program needed for Unix

10. Difference between Mac Quicktime and Win Quicktime?

11. Amiga-anim files to Mac Quicktime (Help)