stereoscopic 3D coding, where to start?

Post by Paul Gilsdor » Mon, 10 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I'm ready to do some 3D programming on a PC and am looking for advice on
where to start.  Specifically, I need to do some stereoscopic VR work
involving a simple dot moving in 3-space.  The user will be wearing a
VIO's i-glasses with head tracker, and the dot's movement will be a
function of head position and eye position among other things.  I may
get "fancier" later and add an artificial horizon or who knows what
else.  The user will not be roaming around as is typical in VR, but be
largely be in one place.  This is for medical research to study eye
tracking and also the relationship of vision to balance.  The VR world
seems to be going in the direction of elaborate, largely static worlds
that one walks around, which is not what I need.

AVRIL is the perfect solution for me, except for the fact that I can't
get it to work with the VIO head tracker, so I've sadly abandoned that
approach.  Right now, I see five choices on how to proceed.  I'd like
some help from those more experienced than I to point me in the right
direction on this.

a) Write everything mostly from scratch.  (I could use the largely
uncommented sample code I received with the VIO developer's kit as a
starting point.)
b) OpenGL
c) QuickDraw 3D
d) VRML2
e) something I don't know about yet.

I at the time have little to no interest in texture mapping, shading,
elaborate world generation, or compatibility with anything involving the
internet.  I do have great interest in strong realtime control over
objects via C code, speed, and precise stereoscopic viewing including
control over such things as interocular distance, and just general
low-level flexibility.  So, what do you think?

Thanks in advance,

Post by Greg Chapm » Tue, 11 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> c) QuickDraw 3D

Look into DrawSporckets - from Apple, part of their game library.

It handles stereoscopic grahics for you... very slick.

--
Greg Chapman
Mac Developer - Robarts Research Institute

1. stereoscopic 3D coding, where to start?

[...]

2. PVS and Quake

3. 3-D stereoscopic algorithms which only use stereoscopic disparity

4. Problems with BitBlt

5. Projecting molecular models in stereoscopic 3D

6. dual pentium?

7. ANNOUNCMENT: Visualizing data in stereoscopic 3D

8. Stereoscopic 3D perspective

9. Real time stereoscopic 3D display

10. Stereoscopic 3D Studio

11. Stereoscopic 3D perspective