question about low-end 24 bit color cards

question about low-end 24 bit color cards

Post by ez042.. » Sat, 12 Feb 1994 09:28:11

Any suggestions for low to medium end 24 bit color cards (say
between $400 and $1000) ? How is the Radius Precision color pro 24XP
(list price is $599) ?

A resolution of about 800 X 600 is probably all I'll be able to afford

Post by Steve_Sem.. » Mon, 14 Feb 1994 03:04:34

<<Any suggestions for low to medium end 24 bit color cards >>

I've had very good luck with the SuperMac Spectrum Series 4 card, which has
three resolutions. Pricedat about $800 or so.
-BMUG Boston 617-721-5840, East Coast BBS of The World's Largest Mac User Group

Post by Bill Nicholso » Wed, 16 Feb 1994 12:33:53

><<Any suggestions for low to medium end 24 bit color cards >>

>I've had very good luck with the SuperMac Spectrum Series 4 card, which has
>three resolutions. Pricedat about $800 or so.
>-BMUG Boston 617-721-5840, East Coast BBS of The World's Largest Mac User
Group

I have had one of the Radius PCPro 24XP for almost 6 months, and am generally
pleased with the quality of it: it accelerates quite well the 16 and lower bit
levels for display, and the 24-bit works well. It seems to be quite compatible
with software and hardware in my system.
I am also in the process of purchasing on of the SX24 cards from EMachines for
about $299. at about 60% of the price of the Radius, it is quite interesting; I
am hoping it is at least as good.

1. Need info about low-end 24-bit color visualization workstations

        I am looking for information about workstations or X-stations
that provide 24-bit 2-D imaging graphics.  Nearly all of the systems
that I have been able to find appear to be directed to the high-end
CAD/CAM arena requiring powerful graphics accelerators.  I had not been
able to find any 24-bit X-stations until the recent announcement of
a PEX-station (from NCD?), but again this is overkill.
        The most relevant system appears to be a DECstations with a
TX graphics option and nothing equivalent for the VMS side of the
tracks.  As an aside, am I correct in assuming that because the
Alpha-based workstataions use the TurboChannel bus, OpenVMS will support
the TX graphics option?
        The new graphics system is meant to replace an aging
I2S IVAS graphics station whose interface will not be comaptible with
future computer system acquisitions.  Anything we purchase should be
compatible with the X Window System and an independent X-station
uncoupled from a workstation would be best.  Any suggestions and/or
recommendations would be appreciated.

                                Thanks, David
David Edelsohn                                          Dept of Physics
Syracuse Center for Computational Science               201 Physics Bldg

"If G-D had wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates" -- Jay Leno

David Edelsohn                                          Dept of Physics
Syracuse Center for Computational Science               201 Physics Bldg

2. Tutorials

3. Recommendations on low end 24 bit scanner

4. Remote Screen Grab

5. 24-bit animation on low-end SGI boxes?

6. Graphic Designers Wanted!

7. New Wacom Intuos3

8. Question re: 24-bit vs. 32-bit color

9. 24 bit color to 256 bit color palettized image conversio

10. 24 bit color to 256 bit color palettized image conversion

11. 24-bit RGB color to 8-bit color ?

12. Convert 24-bit color to 16-bit color