Quantization in JPEG2000

Post by Will » Tue, 21 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hello!
I am doing a project related to JPEG2000
May I ask what does embedded quantization mean and how does it work in
JPEG2000.
Or where can i find materials related to it.
Thanx
rgds,
Will

Quantization in JPEG2000

Post by glorywes » Wed, 22 Dec 1999 04:00:00

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/jpeg-faq/

May have some answers for you here.

> Hello!
> I am doing a project related to JPEG2000
> May I ask what does embedded quantization mean and how does it work in
> JPEG2000.
> Or where can i find materials related to it.
> Thanx
> rgds,
> Will

> --

1. Gray Scale Quantization (Tapered Quantization ??)

Dear All,

  I am working on medical image processing. The images I am working on
  are digitized to gray levels ranging from 0 to 255. The analysis programs
  I am working on can handle gray levels ranging from 0 to 31

  What I am looking for is a method similar to one mentioned by
  R.C. Gonzalez et al in their book Digital Image Processing Pg 40
  (Addison Wesley 1992)

  "An alternative technique that is particularly attractive for
   distributing gray levels consistes of computing the frequency of
   occurrence of all allowed levels. If gray levels in a certain range
   occur frequently, while others occur rarely the quantization levels
   are finely spaced in this range and coarsely spaced outside of it.
   This method is sometimes called tapered quantization"

   Can anyone suggest any other reference where I can get a more detailed
   discussion of the above mentioned technique.

   Thanking you all in advance.

With Regards,

p.s.

The classic paper "Textural Features for Image Classification"
By Robert M. Haralick (IEEE Trans. Sy. Man & Cyber. 1973) discusses a
technique (in the Appendix III) refered as Equal-Probability
Quantizing. I read it and has some what grasped the technique but
still I want an alternative reference which will give a more elaborate
discussion on the technique.

2. Ray-tracing programming reference!

3. JPEG2000

4. Detect point in poligon

5. Jpeg2000 Support in PSP ?

6. A post to alt.binaries.comp.graphics

7. PSP - JPEG2000

8. DOOM' BSP Method?

9. Scalable Vector Graphics and JPEG2000

10. jpeg2000

11. JPEG2000

12. Jpeg2000 to jpeg regular