DXF Imports into Infini-D

Post by Stephen J. Kell » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Greetings:

Just upgraded to Infini-D 3.1 (I know I'm a late comer!!) and am
surprised to see the DXF import filter is still extremely limited.  I
am having less than 20% success rate importing DXF files...usually get
a "..contains no recognizable 3-D objects" error message. I know there
are several DXF versions (nice huh, for a supposed universal exchange
format).  Does anyone have a reliable
mechanism/translater/guidebook/manual for converting DXF files into an
Infini-D readable DXF?

Thanks in advance.
Stephen J. Kelly
Director
Advanced Visualization - Synthetic Environments Lab
Booz,Allen & Hamilton, Inc.
703-528-8080

DXF Imports into Infini-D

Post by David Feldm » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Greetings:

> Just upgraded to Infini-D 3.1 (I know I'm a late comer!!) and am
> surprised to see the DXF import filter is still extremely limited.  I
> am having less than 20% success rate importing DXF files...usually get
> a "..contains no recognizable 3-D objects" error message. I know there
> are several DXF versions (nice huh, for a supposed universal exchange
> format).  Does anyone have a reliable
> mechanism/translater/guidebook/manual for converting DXF files into an
> Infini-D readable DXF?

> Thanks in advance.
> Stephen J. Kelly
> Director
> Advanced Visualization - Synthetic Environments Lab
> Booz,Allen & Hamilton, Inc.
> 703-528-8080

Hi - David Feldman from Specular here.  At Specular we track DXF
versions actively and believe our translator can handle close to
90% of the DXF we've seen.  Of course, if your mileage isn't that
good we need to improve our translator if we can.

Please forward a copy of a file (or several) that are giving you

appreciate the opportunity to track down DXF incompatibilities.

Quote:> usually get  a "..contains no recognizable 3-D objects" error
> message.

This is the most common DXF import problem and it stems from the
fact that DXF can hold either 2D or 3D data.  There's no way to
know when looking at the file whether it contains 2D or 3D info.
Infini-D reads all the way through it looking for 3D data (and
skipping 2D data) and delivers the error you've seen if after
reading the entire file no 3D data has been found. Infini-D reads
lots of kinds of 3D DXF but does not read any 2D DXF.  My guess
is that you're attempting to import a purely 2D drawing into
Infini-D as a 3D object with normal (but unfriendly) results.

Please check out our web page (www.specular.com) for the (free)
updater to Infini-D 3.2 and read all about the cool new Infini-D
3.5 and Infini-D 3.5 Production Studio Bundle.

Cheers,

David Feldman

1. Importing DXF's with Infini-D (?)

I am taking a look at the Infini-D demo... very nice! It has a fantastic
look and feel, is great fun to play with and seems to be about a gazillion
times faster than StudioPro! Also, on their WEB site, Specular lists the
ability to Import and Export DXF's as a feature of Infini-D. The only
formats I see listed under the "FILE-->IMPORT-->" menu are object, eps and
image. So how do I import a DXF?

2. Window title bars offscreen & inaccessible in after effects

3. InfiniD 4.5 - Dxf problem

4. Help with Lighting Effect

5. DXF INFINI-D???

6. Front-ends for Rayshade, DKB, etc...

7. I need render help

8. Converting from Mac Infini-D to dxf or swivel

9. DXF transfers to Infini-D - HELP!

10. InfiniD 4.5 - Dxf problem

11. Converting from Mac Infini-D to dxf or swivel

12. Infini-D Import Questions