Creating wmf with transparent background

Creating wmf with transparent background

Post by Bruce Anderso » Thu, 16 May 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to create a scalable wmf image, and the only
tool I have that seems to be able to do this is Powerpoint
(Paint Shop converts to wmf but retains the non-scalability
of bitmap files it seems).  Does anyone know how to make
the background transparent in Powerpoint with an wmf
image?

Thanks

Bruce Anderson

Creating wmf with transparent background

Post by John Beardmor » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm trying to create a scalable wmf image, and the only
>tool I have that seems to be able to do this is Powerpoint

Yuk. Yes, the .WMF I make has to be powerpoint compatible...

Quote:>(Paint Shop converts to wmf but retains the non-scalability
>of bitmap files it seems).

I found that too. It was what inspired me to write my own viewer.

Quote:>  Does anyone know how to make
>the background transparent in Powerpoint with an wmf
>image?

No, but does this have to be in powerpoint ?  I have code to make .WMF
that my corresponding stand alone viewer can use to give a variable zoom
view of. Is that the sort of thing you have in mind ?  If so, email me
and we can talk about it...

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore

Creating wmf with transparent background

Post by Laur » Sun, 19 May 1996 04:00:00

says...

Quote:>>  Does anyone know how to make
>>the background transparent in Powerpoint with an wmf
>>image?

   In Power Point, or with applications with similar capabilities, insert the
WMF file, and convert it to objects. Deselect the graphic, and select the
part of the image that you want to delete. The background or any piece can be
deleted. It can be moved, copied, and manipulated. In some instances, using
the drawing tools, the background can be set to transparent. You willo need a
razter/ vector or vector type of WMF. The raster only form is only onr
bitmap.
   In general, those programs that support ungrouping ( Corel, Auto Sketch,
ACAD, HiJaak Draw, Power Point, etc.) have a potiental to make images without
backgrounds. Vector type images. This is different from the transparent GIFs
used for Web pages.
   Vector images are inherently transparent. Excel charts can be made
transparent, for example. I have created irregular shaped borders in Auto
Sketch, and used them in Corel Draw (metafile).
   If I have a raster image, I will trace it in Corel Trace or HiJaak (3.0)
and generate the WMF file from there.

1. How do I create a transparent background?

Hello,

I am having a quite peculiar behavior when working with Photoshop (ver 5.0)
and the Adobe Illustrator (ver 8.0):

In Photoshop I create new picture with a transparent = no background. Then I
use the 'Type Tool' to create a heading. The heading is an own layer and
actually the heading has no background - it seems to be transparent.

I save this picture as 'wombat.psd'.

For further work in Illustrator I choose the menu 'Place' and then import
the picture file 'wombat.psd'. The problem is: The background is no longer
transparent - it is white!!!

I now have the problem that I cannot choose just another color or picture as
the background for my heading in Photoshop.

I need a heading with a transparent background.

Does someone now what I am doing wrong or how I can create a Heading/Object
with a transparent background, so that this transparency is not lost in
Illustrator?

Thanks a lot,
        Carsten.

Carsten Greiner              Stuttgart                          Germany

          "We don't believe in wonders, we rely upon them."

2. animation of 3D textures

3. How do you create a Transparent Background in LVIEW

4. Call for Papers: Chaos, Fractals, Graphics

5. Creating an EPS with a transparent background in Quark 4.04

6. >>HELP - need meshes of musicians<<

7. Problem: Creating transparent backgrounds

8. CFP: 12. Spring Conference on Computer Graphics (SCCG'96)

9. Newbie question - creating transparent background

10. Newbie question about replacing colors and creating transparent background

11. Cropping paths - to create transparent backgrounds

12. Creating text effects with a transparent background