AVI to Quicktime problems.....Grrr....

Post by Bob Burde » Sat, 30 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I am trying to view .AVI video movie clips on my Mac.  This is a PC
format, correct?  I Found a program to convert them (supposedly) called
"AVI->QuickTime", but after it translates it to quicktime, I cannot read
it into any quicktime readers like MoviePlayer or QuicktimeVCR.  They give
an error message "could not open the file XXX because the required
compressor could not be found"

What compressor is that?  What am I missing here?

Maybe everyone will say "Of course you have to..." and make me seem stupid
for asking such a question, but I ask anyway.

Any easy solution?

Thanks
Bob

AVI to Quicktime problems.....Grrr....

Post by Stephen Ban » Sun, 31 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I get that error with 60% of the avi's I attempt to convert - others do as
well. An answer / solution would be most appreciated.

--
Stephen R. Banks € OneStop Desktop

http://www.printnet.com/
ftp.printnet.com

Post by Mario Herodot » Sun, 31 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>I am trying to view .AVI video movie clips on my Mac.  This is a PC
>format, correct?  I Found a program to convert them (supposedly) called
>"AVI->QuickTime", but after it translates it to quicktime, I cannot read
>it into any quicktime readers like MoviePlayer or QuicktimeVCR.  They give
>an error message "could not open the file XXX because the required
>compressor could not be found"

>What compressor is that?  What am I missing here?

>Maybe everyone will say "Of course you have to..." and make me seem stupid
>for asking such a question, but I ask anyway.

>Any easy solution?

>Thanks
>Bob

"Of course you have to..." put the AVI file that came with the
AVI->QuickTime software in your extensions folder. This is the
compresor that is missing. In the original archive you got there
were two files. One is the program the other is the compressor.
All the program seems to do is make the AVI files aware of Mac
QuickTime players. The compression is not changed at all. The
AVI plugin is needed to decode the compression scheme and the
AVI File belongs in your Extensions folder.

Mario

Digital Equipment Corporation     | or  CSC32::M_HERODOTUS
Customer Support Center           |------------------------------------
305 Rockrimmon Blvd.              |     (800) 354-9000  Ext 25520
Colorado Springs, CO 80919        |     Direct Line (719)592-5520

AVI to Quicktime problems.....Grrr....

Post by Bart Z. Lederm » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Even if you have all of the compressors you can find, you should
still expect to run into many AVI files here in Usenet News that
you will not be able to convert or view on a Macintosh.

There are some people who will tell you to get the Indeo compressors.
That may help a little, but in my experience it still won't solve
the problem.

Apparently, there are a number of compressors out there somewhere
that people are using to create AVIs that just don't exist for
the Macintosh.  I have every compressor everyone on the net has
ever said was available for the Macintosh, and there are still
AVIs I can't decode.

On top of all of that, there have been a number of AVIs posted
which are improperly encoded or in some way were damaged in
transmission, so even if you have the right compressor there
will be some AVIs that you won't be able to decode.

I share in your frustration, and wish there was a better answer.

--
B. Z. Lederman   Personal Opinions Only

Post by an445.. » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> I get that error with 60% of the avi's I attempt to convert - others do as
> well. An answer / solution would be most appreciated.

> --
> Stephen R. Banks € OneStop Desktop

> http://www.printnet.com/
> ftp.printnet.com

I have encountered the very same problem. Some avi's work fine, others
just don't like to load at all.

Post by John F Gauthi » Tue, 09 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> Even if you have all of the compressors you can find, you should
> still expect to run into many AVI files here in Usenet News that
> you will not be able to convert or view on a Macintosh.

> There are some people who will tell you to get the Indeo compressors.
> That may help a little, but in my experience it still won't solve
> the problem.

> Apparently, there are a number of compressors out there somewhere
> that people are using to create AVIs that just don't exist for
> the Macintosh.  I have every compressor everyone on the net has
> ever said was available for the Macintosh, and there are still
> AVIs I can't decode.

> On top of all of that, there have been a number of AVIs posted
> which are improperly encoded or in some way were damaged in
> transmission, so even if you have the right compressor there
> will be some AVIs that you won't be able to decode.

> I share in your frustration, and wish there was a better answer.

> --
> B. Z. Lederman   Personal Opinions Only

Why don't you post the problem AVI file to this newsgroup and challenge
the readers here to decode it?

I share your frustration with conversion of AVI files to Quicktime.  I use
the AVI->QT utility on a PowerMac running System 7.5.2, and I usually get
error -39 when I try to convert many AVIs.

JG

AVI to Quicktime problems.....Grrr....

Post by DaveRe » Wed, 10 Jan 1996 04:00:00

This problem frustrates me too.  If anyone comes up with a good answer (a
converter on a PC somewhere; a 'uncompressed' version of AVI) this would
be a good place to post it!

(How about some friendly (bored?) PC owner(s) volunteering to convert the
'unconvertable' .AVI files for us? <grin>)

Dave Reed
  Insert standard.disclaimer

AVI to Quicktime problems.....Grrr....

Post by John Theobal » Sun, 21 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I am going nuts looking for a simple paint program (shareware) for
the mac. Anyone know where one is hiding ?????

Post by David A. DeFree » Thu, 25 Jan 1996 04:00:00

-->I am going nuts looking for a simple paint program (shareware) for
-->the mac. Anyone know where one is hiding ?????
-->

I'm not sure if you're interested, but Superpaint used to cost only about
$35.  Then again, Adobe took it over and added clip art and Home Publisher
to bump up the price to ~$60-$70, but I know there are copies of
Superpaint still floating around for the $30 range.  Not that I'm trying
to be a Superpaint advocate, but it allows you to have basic draw tools
(bezier, and generic shapes) as well as the bitmap layer (adjustable
airbrush, custom brush shapes, etc.)

--
DeFreese

Post by Leonard Blaisde » Sun, 28 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> I am going nuts looking for a simple paint program (shareware) for
> the mac. Anyone know where one is hiding ?????

MattPaint is a good little shareware paint program. I'm sure it's
available at sumex. Cost is about $35 if I remember.

Leonard Blaisdell

--
http://www.connectus.com/~leo

Post by Lloyd Burchi » Tue, 30 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: -->I am going nuts looking for a simple paint program (shareware) for
: -->the mac. Anyone know where one is hiding ?????

LightningPaint is a dandy b&w shareware paint program; it lives at the
info-mac archives.

Lloyd

Knot: 3D Abstract Mac Graphics   http://ccn.cs.dal.ca/~aa731/knot.html

1. Problem with conversion of Quicktime .mov file to .avi

        Does anyone know why I can export a movie file captured with "Thousands
of Colors" to avi format with same color depth (to encode on a PC) and
the sound remains in synch with the video but if I try to export with
"Millions of Colors) to avi with "Millions of Colors) the sound and
video lose synch?  All captures  and exports made with non-compressed
video and sound.  The .mov file with "Millions" does remain in synch.  I
thought it might have been a matter of not enough physical ram but I
just upgraded from 64 meg to 160 megs and that didn't change the synch
problem.  The Mac is a 233mhz iMac rev B.

2. Pixelized Drop-off Shadow

3. - Alert.JPG (1/1) AVI->Quicktime problem (JPG Attached)

4. GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic

5. - Alert.JPG (0/1) AVI->Quicktime problem (JPG Attached)

6. Avoid FWD

7. AVI to Quicktime problems

8. JPEG

9. Avi problems in MAX and other avi players...

10. QuickTime/AVI Encoder

11. quicktime -> avi converter for mac

12. Converting AVI to QuickTime

13. Converting .flc to avi/quicktime/numbered targa