renderman compaion, or advanced renderman?

renderman compaion, or advanced renderman?

Post by dais » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00



I was wondering what book would be best to buy

I've heard the companion doesn't deal at all with the RIB format, but that its a good intro to renderman

the advanced renderman book looked good cause it had some math and it deals with the rib format

could someone list for me the pros and cons of each book, and who each book is geared towards

thanks!!

 
 
 

renderman compaion, or advanced renderman?

Post by krea.. » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00


There both fantastic.

Yes, the companion covers more of the procedural binding,  and the ARM covers allot of everything.
There is also the "Texturing and Modeling " which covers RenderMan shading language.

For more info

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1558606181/o/qid%3D934345552/s...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201508680/ref=sim_books/104-8...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0122287304/ref=sim_books/104-8...
I hope there will be more books like these in the future.

Hope this helps

Frank Bonniwell
Black Box FX Studio


> I was wondering what book would be best to buy

> I've heard the companion doesn't deal at all with the RIB format, but that its a good intro to renderman

> the advanced renderman book looked good cause it had some math and it deals with the rib format

> could someone list for me the pros and cons of each book, and who each book is geared towards

> thanks!!


 
 
 

renderman compaion, or advanced renderman?

Post by dais » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00


hmm, so I guess I should just buy all 3 huh?

I'll prolly end up doing that, right now though I don't have a lot of money (I'm a student, go fig)

I think I'll get advanced renderman though, since it has more then just info on the shading language


>There both fantastic.

>Yes, the companion covers more of the procedural binding,  and the ARM covers allot of everything.
>There is also the "Texturing and Modeling " which covers RenderMan shading language.

>For more info

>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1558606181/o/qid%3D934345552/s...
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201508680/ref=sim_books/104-8...
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0122287304/ref=sim_books/104-8...
>I hope there will be more books like these in the future.

>Hope this helps

>Frank Bonniwell
>Black Box FX Studio


>> I was wondering what book would be best to buy

>> I've heard the companion doesn't deal at all with the RIB format, but that its a good intro to renderman

>> the advanced renderman book looked good cause it had some math and it deals with the rib format

>> could someone list for me the pros and cons of each book, and who each book is geared towards

>> thanks!!

 
 
 

renderman compaion, or advanced renderman?

Post by Alex Magido » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00


Personally, I'd suggest getting the Renderman Companion first, then ARMan, then if you have a good grasp of C
and mathmatics, get Texturing and Modeling: A procedural approach.
you should find the cheapest copies online, though- Amazon tends to be rather expensive. The best page to use
is http://www.asces.com
They list ARMan at about $10 off, and T&M:APL at about the same discount.


> hmm, so I guess I should just buy all 3 huh?

> I'll prolly end up doing that, right now though I don't have a lot of money (I'm a student, go fig)

> I think I'll get advanced renderman though, since it has more then just info on the shading language


> >There both fantastic.

> >Yes, the companion covers more of the procedural binding,  and the ARM covers allot of everything.
> >There is also the "Texturing and Modeling " which covers RenderMan shading language.

> >For more info

> >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1558606181/o/qid%3D934345552/s...
> >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201508680/ref=sim_books/104-8...
> >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0122287304/ref=sim_books/104-8...
> >I hope there will be more books like these in the future.

> >Hope this helps

> >Frank Bonniwell
> >Black Box FX Studio


> >> I was wondering what book would be best to buy

> >> I've heard the companion doesn't deal at all with the RIB format, but that its a good intro to renderman

> >> the advanced renderman book looked good cause it had some math and it deals with the rib format

> >> could someone list for me the pros and cons of each book, and who each book is geared towards

> >> thanks!!

--
You Know You've Been Raytracing Too Long When:
 You start coming up with your own names for colors.
Produced by Alex Magidow's Sig File Randomizer(YKYBRTTL jokes courtesy of c.g.r.raytracing)
 
 
 

renderman compaion, or advanced renderman?

Post by Steve Marti » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00



> I think I'll get advanced renderman though, since it has more then just info on the shading language

I highly suggest you start with the Companion. Advanced Renderman is
named "Advanced"
for a reason... if you've never been exposed to the RenderMan Interface,
you'll need
the background in the Companion as a foundation. I have all three books;
trust me.

I also highly recommend that you get AR after you finish the Companion.

 
 
 

renderman compaion, or advanced renderman?

Post by uow » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00


Steve May's RMan Notes is extremely useful
http://www.cgrg.ohio-state.edu/~smay/RManNotes/RManNotes.html

as are the Siggraph notes from http://www.renderman.org/RMR/ and most of the
links from http://www.bmrt.org/rmanlinks.html

Simon


Quote:> Personally, I'd suggest getting the Renderman Companion first, then ARMan,

then if you have a good grasp of C
Quote:> and mathmatics, get Texturing and Modeling: A procedural approach.
> you should find the cheapest copies online, though- Amazon tends to be

rather expensive. The best page to use
> is http://www.asces.com
> They list ARMan at about $10 off, and T&M:APL at about the same discount.


> > hmm, so I guess I should just buy all 3 huh?

> > I'll prolly end up doing that, right now though I don't have a lot of

money (I'm a student, go fig)
Quote:

> > I think I'll get advanced renderman though, since it has more then just

info on the shading language


> > >There both fantastic.

> > >Yes, the companion covers more of the procedural binding,  and the ARM

covers allot of everything.
Quote:> > >There is also the "Texturing and Modeling " which covers RenderMan
shading language.

> > >For more info

>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1558606181/o/qid%3D934345552/s...

2/104-8932029-5108452

>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201508680/ref=sim_books/104-8...
-5108452

>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0122287304/ref=sim_books/104-8...
-5108452
> > >I hope there will be more books like these in the future.

> > >Hope this helps

> > >Frank Bonniwell
> > >Black Box FX Studio


> > >> I was wondering what book would be best to buy

> > >> I've heard the companion doesn't deal at all with the RIB format, but

that its a good intro to renderman
Quote:

> > >> the advanced renderman book looked good cause it had some math and it

deals with the rib format
Quote:

> > >> could someone list for me the pros and cons of each book, and who

each book is geared towards

- Show quoted text -

Quote:

> > >> thanks!!

> --
> You Know You've Been Raytracing Too Long When:
>  You start coming up with your own names for colors.
> Produced by Alex Magidow's Sig File Randomizer(YKYBRTTL jokes courtesy of
c.g.r.raytracing)

 
 
 

renderman compaion, or advanced renderman?

Post by dais » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00


hmm, okie dokies, companion then advanced

thanks for the advice!!

I have to wonder how much of an intro the companion can be though since it only goes into the C functions to use renderman
wouldn't it be easier (I think) to use rib in the companion and C in the advanced?



>> I think I'll get advanced renderman though, since it has more then just info on the shading language

>I highly suggest you start with the Companion. Advanced Renderman is
>named "Advanced"
>for a reason... if you've never been exposed to the RenderMan Interface,
>you'll need
>the background in the Companion as a foundation. I have all three books;
>trust me.

>I also highly recommend that you get AR after you finish the Companion.

 
 
 

renderman compaion, or advanced renderman?

Post by Manuel Alduci » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00


As far as the choices, well the books were written 10 years apart so
they had different focuses. And you would want to use RIB for
documentation and tutorials since it's standard, but you could have
different language bindings (C/C++, Tcl, Python, etc.). I think this
question was answered more thoroughly in a previous thread.

I would also recomend that you download the SIGGRAPH 95 course notes.
It has a gentle intro using RIB, tutorials on shader writing, the
3.1 spec (including the RIB) and the previous SIGGRAPH notes. You
could use it along with the Companion.


> hmm, okie dokies, companion then advanced

> thanks for the advice!!

> I have to wonder how much of an intro the companion can be though since it only goes into the C functions to use renderman
> wouldn't it be easier (I think) to use rib in the companion and C in the advanced?

<SNIP>

--
*************************************************
Manuel Alducin

*************************************************

 
 
 

renderman compaion, or advanced renderman?

Post by dais » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00


ok I'll DL the siggraph notes as well
I got the ones from 92 but I thought they were to advanced for me
I'll check out the ones from 95

thanks everyone!!


>As far as the choices, well the books were written 10 years apart so
>they had different focuses. And you would want to use RIB for
>documentation and tutorials since it's standard, but you could have
>different language bindings (C/C++, Tcl, Python, etc.). I think this
>question was answered more thoroughly in a previous thread.

>I would also recomend that you download the SIGGRAPH 95 course notes.
>It has a gentle intro using RIB, tutorials on shader writing, the
>3.1 spec (including the RIB) and the previous SIGGRAPH notes. You
>could use it along with the Companion.


>> hmm, okie dokies, companion then advanced

>> thanks for the advice!!

>> I have to wonder how much of an intro the companion can be though since it only goes into the C functions to use renderman
>> wouldn't it be easier (I think) to use rib in the companion and C in the advanced?

><SNIP>

>--
>*************************************************
>Manuel Alducin

>*************************************************