Raytracing: What's the best option?

Post by Chaotic Resonan » Tue, 07 May 1996 04:00:00

Hello all...

I have been a raytracing hobbyist for around two years now and I was raised on POVray
1.0... During that two years I have tried many raytracing programs including Moray, POVray
2.0, TrueSpace 2.0, 3D Studio 4.0, and some other assorted modellers/tracers. I like the
ease of use with 3DS4, but it is not a raytracer, it's a renderer. TrueSpace 2.0 was
really nice, but I had problems with getting a complete texture fill on my objects. POVray
is great but not as easy to manipulate as TrueSpace or 3DS.

Can anyone reccomend what they believe to be the "end all" for raytracers? Speciffically,
it should run in DOS or Win95 (Preferably *not* a Win3.1 app), be reliable, be versatile,
have a GUI modeller, have realistic textures, and be a TRUE raytracer. By true raytracer,
I mean a renderer that generates true reflections and shadows.

Huh, maybe I should just go back to POVray and Moray.... :-)

Anyways, all help is greatly appreciated.

Raytracing: What's the best option?

Post by e d robs » Wed, 08 May 1996 04:00:00

)>Hello all...
)>
[...]

Well, Lightwave 5 (~$1500) performs raytracing, I believe.
I'm pretty fond of Truespace, and if you have any interest in
working out your problem with it, I might be able to help.

Now, my long-term plan is to learn Viz C and make an
original-code PowerAnimator clone for POVRay...  ; }
->Now taking compiler and hardware donations for
     this project<-

...well, it COULD happen....

Raytracing: What's the best option?

Post by Kevin Patrick Thibede » Wed, 08 May 1996 04:00:00

Maybe you should go back to POV and you favorite text editor.  The
ultimate in platform independent rendering.

--
Kevin Thibedeau-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-.

.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.

Raytracing: What's the best option?

Post by This space intentionally left bla » Thu, 09 May 1996 04:00:00

>Hello all...

>I have been a raytracing hobbyist for around two years now and I was raised on
>POVray 1.0... During that two years I have tried many raytracing programs
>including Moray, POVray 2.0, TrueSpace 2.0, 3D Studio 4.0, and some other
>assorted modellers/tracers. I like the ease of use with 3DS4, but it is not a
>raytracer, it's a renderer. TrueSpace 2.0 was really nice, but I had problems
>with getting a complete texture fill on my objects. POVray is great but not as
>easy to manipulate as TrueSpace or 3DS.

I agree, but it isn't POV's fault, it's the lack of a complete modeler for
it.  Moray is the best I've seen, and what it does it does well enough, but it's
incomplete.  There are features in POV that Moray knows nothing about (blobs
for example).  Moray also doesn't support the boolean ops very well (the
functions are there, and it will display the hierarchy very nicely, but it
won't show you even a wireframe of the result).  If all you want it a cube
with a sphere in the middle or something, this isn't a problem.  Try to do
something more complex (like a football helmet? ;^) and the mental load of
keeping track of all the parts and how they affect each other becomes great
enough to make the use or non-use of Moray kind of immaterial.

A modeler of the same quality, feature richness, and flexibility of POV
itself and the combination could take over the non-animation "market".

Quote:>Can anyone reccomend what they believe to be the "end all" for raytracers?

Lightwave would be my pick.  There are a couple that are more powerful, but
they are also harder to use and I don't do this for a living so I can't
dedicate the kind of time it would take to master them.  Lightwave can do
anything I'm ever likely to want to do.

Quote:>Speciffically, it should run in DOS or Win95 (Preferably *not* a Win3.1 app),

Lightwave runs on Amiga under AmigaDOS, PCs under Windows NT, Windows 95 or
Windows 3.1.  On NT it's available for Intel, MIPS, and Alpha.

Quote:>be reliable,

I hear of occasional problems, but no more than for any other program of
similar complexity, and fewer than most.

Quote:>be versatile,

It does stills and animations, accepts "plug-ins" for adding 3rd party
features, has been used for making WWW pages, posters, screensavers and
several TV shows (Babylon 5, Seaquest DSV, and Space Above and Beyond for
examples), and runs on at least four different architectures (price range
from $1500 to $100,000 with the expected performance differences).  SOunds
versatile to me...

Quote:>have a GUI modeller,

Yep.  Wireframe only, but very easy to work with, using multiple windows to
get different views.

Quote:>have realistic textures,

Yes, and you can create your own, animate them (fractals, or by using an
animation file), and layer them.

Quote:>and be a TRUE raytracer. By true raytracer, I mean a renderer that generates true
>reflections and shadows.

Lightwave can do this, but it can also do shadow mapping like 3DS and
Truespace 2.  Raytracing is slow, and Lightwave can be set up to never use
it, always use it or just use it for the parts of the image that need it.

Quote:>Huh, maybe I should just go back to POVray and Moray.... :-)

I'm considering it, it's certainly the most cost-efrective solution
(Lightwave 5.0 has just been released at about $1200 street price for
Windows on Intel...), but the frustration of trying to create the models I
want with the available tools and my limited mental abilities (I start
losing track after the 10th or 15th object and the related
difference/intersection and union ops).  A really good and complete modeler
for POVray would make this the obvious choice, but lacking that it's
probably Truesapce 2 ($500) or Lightwave ($1200).

Quote:>Anyways, all help is greatly appreciated.

Yeah, if anyone knows of a modeler for POV that does what I want it to do,
please point me at it!  :^)

 -- Mike "writing one is beyond my capabilities, unfortunately" Bartman --

| I didn't really say all the things that I said.  You probably didn't read  |
| what you thought you read.  Statistics show that this whole thing is more  |
| than likely just a hideous misunderstanding.                               |

Techno Pagan.

1. What's the best export option?

I'm doing design work in PageMaker 7.0 on a PC using those
handy-but-imcompatible TrueType fonts.  My work has to go to either a
digital printer (Indigo/NextPress) or a traditional press, and my service
beureas are all Mac-based.  The fonts are killing me in that the True-Type
never translate 100% (even with Fontographer) so I'm wondering which option
is the best for an all-inclusive save:  the export to PDF os print to EPS?
If there is another option, I'm all ears.  I've got a project right bow that
I'm dead in the water until I find a solution that works.  Thanks for the
input.

Dave Gerhart
MorningStar Studios

2. "doom" might become a movie

3. Raytracing in Max, GOOD raytracing?

4. OpenGL windows WITHOUT Z-buffer

5. New 'Create Render Node' option

6. Multiple Rotations

7. 'gif'-options (vs.3.7 win32)

8. Modellers for Animation!!

9. the 'thru' option

10. Raytraced Light 'beams'

11. What's my best option for best video upgrade?

12. a better option than clicking NEXT?

13. Best scanner for SGI w/ Mac option ?