Crop to selection

Post by Graham Thorle » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:53:06

Working through some tutorials and this one has me stumped.
http://www.jasc.com/tutorials/nieuwenstein/crop2selection.asp?
I am unable to get freehand selection to be isolated with a white
background for the area outside of the crop. I keep getting a rectangle
which appears to be the maximum height and width of my selection. Anyone
know what I am doing wrong?

--
Graham Thorley

Like Art? visit         http://www.ArtByJudy.com

                       ---NO SPAM IN EFFECT---

Crop to selection

Post by Embe » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 14:03:46

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 03:53:06 GMT, Graham Thorley

>Working through some tutorials and this one has me stumped.
>http://www.jasc.com/tutorials/nieuwenstein/crop2selection.asp?
>I am unable to get freehand selection to be isolated with a white
>background for the area outside of the crop. I keep getting a rectangle
>which appears to be the maximum height and width of my selection. Anyone
>know what I am doing wrong?

Are you sure you have the swatch for the background colour set to
white (second square down on the palette) and not the foreground
colour?

Ember

Crop to selection

Post by Angela M. Cabl » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 18:02:48

> Working through some tutorials and this one has me stumped.
> http://www.jasc.com/tutorials/nieuwenstein/crop2selection.asp?
> I am unable to get freehand selection to be isolated with a white
> background for the area outside of the crop. I keep getting a rectangle
> which appears to be the maximum height and width of my selection. Anyone
> know what I am doing wrong?

Did you remember to set the feather to 20? If that's not it, post the
image you came up with to alt.binaries.comp-graphics so we can see what
you've got.

--
Angela M. Cable
http://www.neocognition.com

PSP Tutorial Links:
http://www.psplinks.com
5th Street Studio, free graphics, websets and more:
http://www.fortunecity.com/westwood/alaia/354/

Crop to selection

Post by Bill Schnakenber » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 20:22:10

> Working through some tutorials and this one has me stumped.
> http://www.jasc.com/tutorials/nieuwenstein/crop2selection.asp?
> I am unable to get freehand selection to be isolated with a white
> background for the area outside of the crop. I keep getting a rectangle
> which appears to be the maximum height and width of my selection. Anyone
> know what I am doing wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong. Reread Step 3, especially the part about the background color in
the palette and the NOTE:

--
Bill - PSP and Media Center Plus Private Beta Tester
PSP Terrorist - D'Lanok de Caresk chapter - Anti-Troll Unit 235

Crop to selection

Post by Don Stauffe » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 23:03:49

There may be a problem in terminology.  Isolating an object in an image
to a white background is not cropping.  Cropping refers to the whole
image, bacground included.  Most file formats require a rectangular
image.  You cannot really crop to a freehand selection.

That does not prevent, however, pasting that object on a transparent
background, or making everything outside that selection white or
transparent.

Here is an easy way to do it.  Select white or whatever your transparent
color is as the active color.  INVERT your selection (from the selection
menu).  Now use a standard 'fill' operation to fill the background.

Even with GIF file format, which retains transparency in final file, the
actual image format is still a rectangle.

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Crop to selection

Post by Uni » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 23:33:55

> There may be a problem in terminology.  Isolating an object in an image
> to a white background is not cropping.  Cropping refers to the whole
> image, bacground included.  Most file formats require a rectangular
> image.

Are you saying, non rectangular images exist? :-)

I'd like to see the shape of the window which contains one :-)

Uni

  You cannot really crop to a freehand selection.

> That does not prevent, however, pasting that object on a transparent
> background, or making everything outside that selection white or
> transparent.

> Here is an easy way to do it.  Select white or whatever your transparent
> color is as the active color.  INVERT your selection (from the selection
> menu).  Now use a standard 'fill' operation to fill the background.

> Even with GIF file format, which retains transparency in final file, the
> actual image format is still a rectangle.

> > Working through some tutorials and this one has me stumped.
> > http://www.jasc.com/tutorials/nieuwenstein/crop2selection.asp?
> > I am unable to get freehand selection to be isolated with a white
> > background for the area outside of the crop. I keep getting a rectangle
> > which appears to be the maximum height and width of my selection. Anyone
> > know what I am doing wrong?

> > --
> > Graham Thorley

> > Like Art? visit         http://www.ArtByJudy.com

> >                        ---NO SPAM IN EFFECT---

> --
> Don Stauffer in Minnesota

> webpage- http://www.usfamily.net/web/stauffer

Crop to selection

Post by Mike Hutchinso » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 03:06:54

Quote:>Bill: Read and re-read and made sure everything is correct. Re the note
>I believe that is just indicating that the image when cropped will be a
>square or rectangle wwith the area outside my selection being white, but
>the area outside my selection in the squre is not white.

I'm not Bill, but I'd be interested to know what you mean by 'my
selection in the square is not white'. What colour is it?

I've just tried the tutorial and got the effect intended.
--
Mike Hutchinson
Please remove "no.rubbish" from reply to address

Crop to selection

Post by humbe » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 07:19:25

Quote:> Working through some tutorials and this one has me stumped.
> http://www.jasc.com/tutorials/nieuwenstein/crop2selection.asp?
> I am unable to get freehand selection to be isolated with a white
> background for the area outside of the crop. I keep getting a rectangle
> which appears to be the maximum height and width of my selection. Anyone
> know what I am doing wrong?

I tried this a couple of times and discovered that after doing all those
colour settings in the Styles Background and Textures Foreground and
Background, I was still using the Dropper tool (on the LH vertical toolbar)
when I should have changed to the Arrow on the LH vertical toolbar.  This
allowed me to do the Crop To Selection.

Maybe you have got the wrong tool selected in the LH vertical toolbar?

humber

1. Crop to Selection in v7.04

Why is it that when I use the "Crop to Selection" function in version 7.04
that after the crop a few pixels of a different color is added around the
border of the cropped image?

The color of the tiny border has been yellow most of the time.

Zoom in and you will see what I mean. Shouldn't crop to selection crop
cleanly, without distorting the color along the edge of the image?

TIA,

IOMMI

2. Problems w/ PS Lite after I install/ narf!!

3. 7.02 Crop to selection problem

4. Okay! What the hell is VRML? And... (REad on)

5. Image>Crop to Selection Not Working

6. BSP & Collision using bounding box.

7. crop to selection??

8. writing a simple ray tracing program for linux

9. PSP6 Crop to selection problems

10. crop to selection?

11. Crop to selection?

12. Crop to Selection?