Planet maps to map onto a sphere in POV-Ray

Planet maps to map onto a sphere in POV-Ray

Post by Parall » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

A long time ago I found a site that had maps of most of the planets
and moons in the Solar System, for mapping onto a sphere. Now, I
cannot find that page! Does anyone know of such a place?

Specifically, I need very high resolution (the higher the better, this
is for a commercial product :) maps of the Earth, both (Or either, I'm
not too picky at this stage) real-color (Greens, browns, and blues)
and the kind you'd see on a globe or Mercator map (Light blue oceans
and multicolored countries)

Thanks in advance.

--Wesley Clifford
Sweeping generalizations always have exceptions, even this one.

Planet maps to map onto a sphere in POV-Ray

Post by Thomas Rueda » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Maybe this site is useful to you:
http://maps.jpl.nasa.gov/

HTH,
Thomas Ruedas
Institute of Meteorology and Geophysics,
J.W. Goethe University Frankfurt/Main
Feldbergstrasse 47                      D-60323 Frankfurt/Main, Germany
Phone:+49-(0)69-798-24949               Fax:+49-(0)69-798-23280

http://www.geophysik.uni-frankfurt.de/~ruedas/

Post by Ken » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> A long time ago I found a site that had maps of most of the planets
> and moons in the Solar System, for mapping onto a sphere. Now, I
> cannot find that page! Does anyone know of such a place?

> Specifically, I need very high resolution (the higher the better, this
> is for a commercial product :) maps of the Earth, both (Or either, I'm
> not too picky at this stage) real-color (Greens, browns, and blues)
> and the kind you'd see on a globe or Mercator map (Light blue oceans
> and multicolored countries)

> Thanks in advance.

> --Wesley Clifford
> Sweeping generalizations always have exceptions, even this one.

Try these sites:

http://ftp.clark.net/pub/nyrath/starmap.html

ftp://adc.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/adc/archives/catalogs/

http://seds.lpl.arizona.edu/billa/twn/top.html

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/postgrad/thomasc1/render/maps.htm

--
Ken Tyler

See my 1000+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:

1. POV-Ray image mapped onto sphere colors washed out

I have an image containing some pumpkin orange colors that I'm trying
to map onto a sphere using image_map.   Problem is the resulting color
more resembles yellow than the original orange.  Increasing the red
portion of the lighting makes it a little more like orange but
degrades other parts of the image.  Any suggestions what might cause
this, or how to correct it appreciated.

2. FS: Mactell Vision 3D Pro graphics accelerator card

3. Texture mapped planets/spheres ...

4. Indexed Textures

5. mapping onto a sphere

6. 3d animation

7. Need help projecting Mercator maps onto Spheres in PovRay3

8. finding a point inside a simple polygon

9. Mapping a texture onto a sphere

10. Satelite Images Mapped onto a Sphere.

11. Looking for an image of the earth to map onto a sphere

12. mapping 3D heightfield onto the sphere