Siggraph Renderman GI papers online?

Post by Eliot Ma » Wed, 06 Aug 2003 05:37:51

Hello,

Are there any links available to read/purchase the 2003 Siggraph
Renderman papers? There were some presentations on global illumination
techniques that I would very much like to read up on.

Thanks,

Eliot

Siggraph Renderman GI papers online?

Post by Stephen Spenc » Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:52:27

Quote:>Are there any links available to read/purchase the 2003 Siggraph
>Renderman papers? There were some presentations on global illumination
>techniques that I would very much like to read up on.

Eliot, the papers presented at the ACM SIGGRAPH 2003 conference will be
available through the ACM Digital Library <http://www.acm.org/dl/>.
ACM SIGGRAPH members have access to this content as a benefit of membership
in the ACM SIGGRAPH organization. Membership costs $27.00 a year ($20.00 for
a student.)

  Stephen N. Spencer
  Graphics System Engineer         ACM SIGGRAPH Director for Publications

Siggraph Renderman GI papers online?

Post by Eliot Ma » Wed, 06 Aug 2003 13:21:00

Quote:> Eliot, the papers presented at the ACM SIGGRAPH 2003 conference will be
> available through the ACM Digital Library <http://www.acm.org/dl/>.
> ACM SIGGRAPH members have access to this content as a benefit of membership
> in the ACM SIGGRAPH organization. Membership costs $27.00 a year ($20.00 for
> a student.)

Sounds good. When will the site have them?

Thanks,

Eliot

Post by Stephen Spenc » Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:49:51

>> Eliot, the papers presented at the ACM SIGGRAPH 2003 conference will be
>> available through the ACM Digital Library <http://www.acm.org/dl/>.

>Sounds good. When will the site have them?

Should be within the next week or two. I see that the two co-located workshops
held at ACM SIGGRAPH 2003 (Graphics Hardware 2003 and Symposium on Computer
Animation) are already available.

  Stephen N. Spencer
  Graphics System Engineer         ACM SIGGRAPH Director for Publications

Siggraph Renderman GI papers online?

Post by Zeki Mele » Thu, 07 Aug 2003 01:30:27

This year they are also preparing a DVD containing all paper presentations
(paper and video of the presentation) and some of the scetches. I think it
is going to be 60$ or something.

Quote:> Hello,

Post by Stephen H. West » Thu, 07 Aug 2003 01:44:03

> This year they are also preparing a DVD containing all paper presentations
> (paper and video of the presentation) and some of the scetches. I think it
> is going to be 60$ or something.

> > Hello,

> > Are there any links available to read/purchase the 2003 Siggraph
> > Renderman papers? There were some presentations on global illumination
> > techniques that I would very much like to read up on.

> > Thanks,

> > Eliot

I think we're talking about many different things here.

1. I don't think there were any RenderMan "papers" at SIGGRAPH this year.
   A paper is a peer-reviewed presentation of research results. These
   are what Steve Spencer has promised in the ACM Digital Library.

2. There certainly were people talking about RenderMan in courses. The
   notes for these, which can be of variable quality, are what I think
   Mr. Mack was looking for.

3. There are also "sketches", which are presented to a (generally) smaller
   audience and are not held to the same standards as the papers.

4. There will be a DVD including video redordings of, as I recall,
   *some* of the paper presentations. They were taking orders at the
   conference for this; it obviously isn't done yet.

5. There is a DVD-ROM (actually a pair of them), not to be confused
   with the DVD mentioned in 4, that contains all the papers and
   course notes. I don't think sketches are included at all, as they
   are not published in writing. These DVD-ROM's replace the stack of
   CD-ROM's that used to be handed out to attendees. In the past,
   CD-ROM with the course notes was the most expensive of the bunch to
   buy; around $US200, as I recall. I don't know what the DVD-ROM set
   sells for.

--
-Stephen H. Westin

Siggraph Renderman GI papers online?

Post by Rick LaMon » Thu, 07 Aug 2003 07:17:16

Quote:>5. There is a DVD-ROM (actually a pair of them), not to be confused
>   with the DVD mentioned in 4, that contains all the papers and
>   course notes. I don't think sketches are included at all, as they
>   are not published in writing.  [...] I don't know what the DVD-ROM
>   set sells for.

I believe that the abstracts of the sketches are on the DVD-ROMs
(under Conference Abstracts and Applications) and that the price is
$65 for SIGGRAPH members, $100 for non-members.

Rick LaMont
Dot C Software, Inc.
http://www.dotcsw.com/

Siggraph Renderman GI papers online?

Post by Dan Ma » Thu, 07 Aug 2003 08:11:04

What you want are the course notes, which are sold on DVD and as bound
books.

There is usually some really juicy stuff in the sketches, but those
are rarely documented :(. Just try to be there in person...

Although, a lot of material from RenderMan-specific course notes and
sketches eventually makes its way to www.renderman.org (the "Books"
section).

Dan

Siggraph Renderman GI papers online?

Post by Jonathan Gibb » Thu, 07 Aug 2003 13:10:45

Quote:> 4. There will be a DVD including video redordings of, as I recall,
>    *some* of the paper presentations. They were taking orders at the
>    conference for this; it obviously isn't done yet.

More specifically, for those who were there or who have access to the
program, the talks in the two largest rooms (20 and 6) were taped. This
includes most of the papers and all the special sessions. I don't believe
any sketches were in those rooms. The Renderman course was in room 20. All
the speakers in those room who signed the release form will be on the DVD.

Quote:> 5. There is a DVD-ROM (actually a pair of them), not to be confused
>    with the DVD mentioned in 4, that contains all the papers and
>    course notes. I don't think sketches are included at all, as they
>    are not published in writing.

A one-page extended abstract of each sketch is on the DVD. Sometimes it's
worth nothing, sometimes it has some nice details.

Also, the sketches and course notes were not available in printed form this
year, only on the CD or DVD-ROM.

--jono

Siggraph Renderman GI papers online?

Post by ian stephenso » Thu, 07 Aug 2003 21:13:01

Quote:> A one-page extended abstract of each sketch is on the DVD. Sometimes it's
> worth nothing, sometimes it has some nice details.

> Also, the sketches and course notes were not available in printed form this
> year, only on the CD or DVD-ROM.

Slightly off topic, but I think this cost cutting measure was a
particular mistake. There are a LOT of sketches and it's pretty hard to
find the interesting ones. Without any real documentation, I suspect a
most people missed some good stuff. Cramming the sketches into 2 days
meannt there were 5 or 6 sessions at a time just for sketches.

I think the general penny pinching was taken too far - sure we can live
without free coffee, but this and other stuff (should I mention the
fiasco of a reception - I paid $25 for one drink and a slice of pizza in
an empty room that didn't even have a carpet, just bare concrete floor)
really took the edge of a really great week.

sorry for the rant, but I just got back, and find it hard to believe
that a conference that size can't break even without cutting everything
to the bone.

$an

Post by Stephen H. West » Thu, 07 Aug 2003 22:13:43

> What you want are the course notes, which are sold on DVD and as bound
> books.

No books this year. They offered a print service at, as I recall, a
high price at the UPS shipping station.

Quote:> There is usually some really juicy stuff in the sketches, but those

--
-Stephen H. Westin

Siggraph Renderman GI papers online?

Post by Zeki Mele » Fri, 08 Aug 2003 04:49:10

yeah, next year they should cramp everthing into 3 days, and get rid of all
the breaks, who does need to eat anyhow... Consecutive 12 hour per days,
yeah that would be great.
On second thought, I think we can have two speakers in the room at the same
time, and in a desperate push of nonstop 48 hours, we can get over with
this.

Siggraph Renderman GI papers online?

Post by Rick LaMon » Fri, 08 Aug 2003 06:16:27

Quote:> the sketches and course notes were not available in printed form this
> year, only on the CD or DVD-ROM.

Quote:> No books this year.  They offered a print service at, as I recall, a
> high price at the UPS shipping station.

Full sets of printed course notes were selling for $570.  Individual course
notes were available at the business center for 9 cents per page (black-and-
white, one-sided).

Rick LaMont
Dot C Software, Inc.
http://www.dotcsw.com/

Siggraph Renderman GI papers online?

Post by Donaldson-Selby Gavi » Fri, 08 Aug 2003 06:32:43

I apologise if this is slightly off-topic :-)

Is there any difference between the Siggraph membership ($27.00
annually)
and ACM Professional Membership ($17.00 for Economically Developing
Countries - online only) in terms of access to papers, etc? In other
words
if one were to choose the ACM $17.00 membership could one still have the
benefits of Siggraph?

Many thanks

Gavin Donaldson-Selby

Quote:> >Are there any links available to read/purchase the 2003 Siggraph
> >Renderman papers? There were some presentations on global
illumination
> >techniques that I would very much like to read up on.

> Eliot, the papers presented at the ACM SIGGRAPH 2003 conference will
be
> available through the ACM Digital Library <http://www.acm.org/dl/>.
> ACM SIGGRAPH members have access to this content as a benefit of
membership
> in the ACM SIGGRAPH organization. Membership costs $27.00 a year
($20.00 for
> a student.)

> --
------
>   Stephen N. Spencer
>   Graphics System Engineer         ACM SIGGRAPH Director for
Publications
>   The University of Washington   206.616.3281

1. REQ: Some Renderman SIGGRAPH Papers

Member of *what*???

Anyway, those course notes you cited are notoriously hard to get after
the conferences (a good reason for going).  But anybody who went to
the conferences in question ('95 or '98) will have a CD-ROM containing
PDF files of all of the course notes.  So just find a single person
who attended and borrow their CD.

        -- lg

--
Larry Gritz                                     Pixar Animation Studios

2. Todays News for Content Creation: 9/30/98

3. SIGGRAPH paper online (Landscape & Texture synthesis)

4. removing "folds" in huge geometries

5. GI in RenderMan

6. SolidLeafBSP and Collision detection with Shifting plane

7. Course: GPS/GIS Online International

8. Any Pros out there using Windows?

9. Technical Papers/Articles on GIS

10. CALL FOR PAPERS, GIS Conference, Venezuela, Sept 25-29 1989

11. GI '88 Call for Papers

12. RenderMan OnLine tutorial?

13. Online Renderman manual/guide