Computer Graphics Journals (?)

Post by Kouhia Juhana Krist » Sun, 12 Aug 1990 05:05:08

Hi,

I read several CG journals:
        ACM Transactions On Graphics
        Computer Graphics  (Includes SIGGRAPH proceeding)
        IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications
        Visual Computer

I would like to know what else there is exists.
I have heard, but never seen and don't know where to order:
        Computer & Graphics
        Pixel

A short description about journals is very nice.

Have somebody seen a computer graphics generated comics?
(I mean 3D-graphics.)

Juhana Kouhia

Post by Dan Gord » Sun, 12 Aug 1990 13:52:20

<
<I read several CG journals:
<    ACM Transactions On Graphics
<    Computer Graphics  (Includes SIGGRAPH proceeding)
<    IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications
<    Visual Computer
<
<I would like to know what else there is exists.
<I have heard, but never seen and don't know where to order:
<    Computer & Graphics
<    Pixel
<A short description about journals is very nice.
<
<Have somebody seen a computer graphics generated comics?
<(I mean 3D-graphics.)
<
I have noticed this amazing thing in the past: people just don't
read the oldest and perhaps the most prestigious journal -
Computer Vision, Graphics & Image Processing (formerly called
Computer Graphics & Image Processing). This journal has now
split into 2 subjournals, because of the wide variety of topics.

Computer Graphics Journals (?)

Post by Edwin Bla » Sun, 12 Aug 1990 19:58:13

Quote:>I read several CG journals:
>    ACM Transactions On Graphics
>    Computer Graphics  (Includes SIGGRAPH proceeding)
>    IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications
>    Visual Computer
>I have heard, but never seen and don't know where to order:
>    Computer & Graphics
>    Pixel

  You should certainly read the journal of the Eurographics Association:
Computer Graphics Forum.  Its strength (in my view) is FAST publication
of research results.  It also reports Eurographics activities and stuff
on standardization.  The journal is published by Elsevier but if you
want a personal copy then join Eurographics (especially since you are a
European).

Another useful journal if you are interested in the more artistic side
of things is Leonardo (they do the SIGGRAPH art show catalogue for
example).  Leonardo is not limited to computer graphics though, e.g., a
recent double issue was devoted to "Holography as an Art Medium".
Leonardo is the Journal of the International Society for the Arts,
Sciences & Technology and is published by Pergamon.

If you are also interested in Image Analysis then there is Image and
Vision Computing (Butterworth I think) and Computer Vision, Graphics and
Image Processing of Springer.

Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI)
Department of Interactive Systems,
Kruislaan 413,  1098 SJ  Amsterdam,  The Netherlands

Post by Patrick J. Fly » Mon, 13 Aug 1990 06:17:32

>>I read several CG journals:
>>        ACM Transactions On Graphics
>>        Computer Graphics  (Includes SIGGRAPH proceeding)
>>        IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications
>>        Visual Computer
>>I have heard, but never seen and don't know where to order:
>>        Computer & Graphics
>>        Pixel

Sample issues of Pixel were packaged with CACM a while back.  There was a
free-subscription card along with the sample copy.

Quote:> [...]

>If you are also interested in Image Analysis then there is Image and
>Vision Computing (Butterworth I think) and Computer Vision, Graphics and
>Image Processing of Springer.

                     ^^^^^^^^  [isn't CVGIP pub. by Academic?]

CVGIP is splitting into two journals in '91.  One is to be called
CVGIP: Image Understanding and the other is called CVGIP: Graphical
Models and Image Processing.

Now if they would only lower the price so mere mortals can
subscribe...

Additional journals for those interested in image analysis are:
- IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence,
- Machine Vision and Applications
- Pattern Recognition (pub. by Pergamon)
- Pattern Recognition Letters (pub. by North-Holland)
- IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and *netics
- IEEE Trans. on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing

TTFN - Pat
--
Patrick J. Flynn                | `Out of register space (ugh)'
Computer Science & Engineering  |                         -- /usr/ucb/vi

Computer Graphics Journals (?)

Post by John Murr » Fri, 17 Aug 1990 07:12:52

Quote:

>Hi,

>I read several CG journals:
>    ACM Transactions On Graphics
>    Computer Graphics  (Includes SIGGRAPH proceeding)
>    IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications
>    Visual Computer

>I would like to know what else there is exists.
>I have heard, but never seen and don't know where to order:
>    Computer & Graphics
>    Pixel

>A short description about journals is very nice.

I have a copy of Pixel, Vol. 1 No. 3 (july/august 1990) right here in my hot
little hands. Two articles in this issue: "Probabilistic Computation of
Cochlear Anatomy" by Carl S. Brown and Alan C. Nelson, both of the U. of
Washington; and "Visualizing the Collision of a Star with a Black Hole" by
G. Comer Duncan, of Bowling Green State University. Departments are Letters,
Visualization News, Visualization Tools, Essay (this issue: Seeing in Volume
by Vincent Argiro of Vital Images and Maharishi International University),
Visualization Techniques, Viewpoint. This issue is only 44 pages, but has a
pretty good substance/adverti*ts ratio, far better than the typical
"trade rag." I'd say the percentage of space devoted to ads about matches
that of the ACM Communications. Price is a little hefty ($7/issue, $42 one
year (6 issues)) but hey! things get expensive when nearly every single
page has full-color pictures on it.

Sorry, I can't give a substantive review, I haven't had time to absorb the
mass of stuff I picked up at SIGGRAPH (including this magazine). At first
glance, though, it looks like it's worth it.

Subscription correspondence to:
        Pixel Communications, Inc.
        245 Henry St., Suite 2-G
        Brooklyn, NY 11201
        phone: (718) 624-3386

>Juhana Kouhia

Disclaimer: No, of course I don't work for Pixel!

John R. Murray          | "They call me Mr. Know-it-all, I am so eloquent.

                        |   ...and whatever rhymes with 'eloquent'." - Primus

Computer Graphics Journals (?)

Post by Wm Randolph Frankl » Sat, 18 Aug 1990 02:07:17

Quote:

>Now if they would only lower the price so mere mortals can
>subscribe...

Encourage this by submitting your papers more  to society journals (ACM,
IEEE,  etc)   than  to  publishers'   journals.   Especially  avoid "The
International Journal  of  X" for  all  X.   The price  of profit-making
journals  is  shocking.  The  RPI library  spends  3  times as  much  on
subscriptions as on new books.

If you want theoretical geometry papers, some journals and conferences
are:

Symposium on Computational Geometry

J. Discrete and Computational Geometry (YAPJ = yet another publisher's j!)

Symp. on Foundation of CS has one or two papers a year on geometry

ditto Symp. on Theory of Computing

--
                                                   Wm. Randolph Franklin

Telephone: (518) 276-6077;  Telex: 6716050 RPI TROU; Fax: (518) 276-6261
Paper: ECSE Dept., 6026 JEC, Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst, Troy NY, 12180

Computer Graphics Journals (?)

Post by John Murr » Sat, 18 Aug 1990 13:04:49

Quote:>I have a copy of Pixel, Vol. 1 No. 3 (july/august 1990) right here in my hot
>little hands.
>    [..blather, blather, foam, etc..]
>Price is a little hefty ($7/issue, $42 one
>year (6 issues)) but hey! things get expensive when nearly every single
>page has full-color pictures on it.

In another brief scan of this mag I chanced across a "special subscription rate"
card, with a 50% discount for charter subscribers ($21 for one year (6 issues)).
If you choose to contact these folks, you might want to mention that you heard
about this offer. The card only offered a special rate for the first year.
Sorry I missed it in the first zip-through.

Quote:>Sorry, I can't give a substantive review, I haven't had time to absorb the
>mass of stuff I picked up at SIGGRAPH (including this magazine). At first
>glance, though, it looks like it's worth it.

This weekend, I'll see if I can do a real read of at least the star/black hole
article - the underlying science of which I might understand - and see if I
can give a semi-scientific review of what they're publishing.

Quote:>Subscription correspondence to: