Help / advice needed for MAC graphics workstation

Help / advice needed for MAC graphics workstation

Post by Steven Clar » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I am looking for some solid advice on hardware necessary for a Mac based
graphics workstation.

The current configuration is:

- PowerPC 7300/180
- Xclaim 3d video card /w 4mb VRAM (one monitor), 4mb on board VRAM (2nd
monitor)

The software that will be used is:

- Pagemaker, Photoshop, Illustrator
- no 3d rendering

How much RAM should this workstation have??  Is there a 'standard' for
the amount of RAM on a graphics artist's workstation???

Or, is there anywhere where I could find out this info other than
newsgroups??  ie. know of a good informative web site?

I do appreciate the help - thx.

Help / advice needed for MAC graphics workstation

Post by Pione » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:> How much RAM should this workstation have??  Is there a 'standard' for
> the amount of RAM on a graphics artist's workstation???

Ultimately? As much as you can afford to buy.

The minimum will be dependent upon how large the files are which you expect
to be working with.

On Photoshop, I open multiple 15Mb at a time, and wouldn't be satisfied
with anything less than the 128Mb than I currently have.

But another 128Mb would be really great.

Will you be using more than one of those programs at the same time? Then
you definitely need a bunch.

The only way to have "too much RAM" is to have more than the computer can
accept - in which case you actually have "too little computer."

--
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher
esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Help / advice needed for MAC graphics workstation

Post by Dc36 » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

You can NEVER have too much RAM.

If you were using Photoshop alone I would tell you to have at LEAST 36MB.   Add
3D rendering (obviously RAM intensive), Pagemaker & Illustrator (both RAM hogs)
and you are looking at a sizeable chunk of RAM chips.

I recommend adding up the total amount of recommended RAM for each of the
applications you are using, and shoot for just above that.

Of course, you may not need to run all the applications at one time, in which
case, I would say to get the same amount of RAM as in the first scenario, and
give twice as much to each application running.

I repeat, You can NEVER have too much RAM.

Post by defi » Sun, 11 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> You can NEVER have too much RAM.

> If you were using Photoshop alone I would tell you to have at LEAST 36MB.   Add
> 3D rendering (obviously RAM intensive), Pagemaker & Illustrator (both RAM hogs)
> and you are looking at a sizeable chunk of RAM chips.

> I recommend adding up the total amount of recommended RAM for each of the
> applications you are using, and shoot for just above that.

> Of course, you may not need to run all the applications at one time, in which
> case, I would say to get the same amount of RAM as in the first scenario, and
> give twice as much to each application running.

> I repeat, You can NEVER have too much RAM.

********
How come nobody ever just explains the "Differance Ram Makes"
Like--" ray dream/ 320x240/ 2:45 min / 16 megs RAM
then--"  "      "      /    "  x  "  /  1:30 min/  48 megs RAM

This would either "Encourage Buyers" to jump on the "RAM-Wagon"
or it would "Disspell a Myth-- Perhaps Greatly"..

If anyone knows of any DATABASE in examples like the above
comparrisons-- please advise,- as such an actuary would be
greatly appreciated.

GRT"98!

DEFI

1. Help / advice needed for graphics workstation hardware

I am looking for some solid advice on hardware necessary for a Mac based
graphics workstation.

The current configuration is:

- PowerPC 7300/180
- Xclaim 3d video card /w 4mb VRAM (one monitor), 4mb on board VRAM (2nd
monitor)

The software that will be used is:

- Pagemaker, Photoshop, Illustrator
- no 3d rendering

How much RAM should this workstation have??  Is there a 'standard' for
the amount of RAM on a graphics artist's workstation???

Or, is there anywhere where I could find out this info other than
newsgroups??  ie. know of a good informative web site?

I do appreciate the help - thx.

2. Acrobat images

3. Graphics workstation advice NT vs. Mac OS

4. Is there a way...

5. Need Advice RE: buying a graphics workstation

6. Please recommend a decent graphics card!!! Please!

7. Need advice on leasing Mac for graphics work

8. Search Engine

9. Need Mac to PC graphics advice

10. NEED ADVICE -- Which MAC for Graphics Design Student

11. Need Mac to PC graphics expert advice

12. Help: Baby Mac: Need Advice

13. Advice needed on Imaging workstations...