Has anyone ported LBLs Radiance to WinNT/98?

Has anyone ported LBLs Radiance to WinNT/98?

Post by Rudy Cazabo » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hello there...

I would like to know if anyone has ported LBLs Radiance renderer to any of
the Windows environments?

If you have, I would truly appreciate it if you could share which version of
Radiance you ported over ( I have v3.1.8 ) and what hoops on the Windows
side you jumped through.  My current development environment is Win 98 using
VC++ 5.0.

Thanks

Has anyone ported LBLs Radiance to WinNT/98?

Post by Thomas Berge » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

The Pacific Gas and Electric Company plans to release "Desktop Radiance" (a
Windows version of Radiance) in next spring. You can visit their web site
http://www.pge.com/pec/daylight

Tom Berger

Rudy Cazabon schrieb:

Quote:> Hello there...

> I would like to know if anyone has ported LBLs Radiance renderer to any of
> the Windows environments?

> If you have, I would truly appreciate it if you could share which version of
> Radiance you ported over ( I have v3.1.8 ) and what hoops on the Windows
> side you jumped through.  My current development environment is Win 98 using
> VC++ 5.0.

> Thanks

* Tom Berger

* Universit?t Gh Kassel
* FB Architektur - Entwerfen + CAD
* Henschelstr. 2
* D-34127 Kassel / Germany
* Tel +49 (0)561 804 2352
* Fax +49 (0)561 804 3267

Has anyone ported LBLs Radiance to WinNT/98?

Post by Osca » Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have proted Radiance v3.1.2 succesfully to the win32 platform. You should
probably try NT because the console is more complete.
Together with the MAX exporter we created life with Radiance is getting a lot
easier...

Next step Rendeman compliance?

Talk to Charles Erlich at LBL for info on the win32 port.

Are you doing the network option as well?

Koen Vroeijenstijn
VLM computer graphics

Post by Stephen Edward » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

: I have proted Radiance v3.1.2 succesfully to the win32 platform. You should

Neat.  :)  So, does it run in console mode, or have you actually given it
a graphical interface like POV-Ray 3.x?
--
.-----.
|[_] :| Stephen S. Edwards II | http://www.primenet.com/~rakmount
| =  :| Having half a clue is worse than having no clue at all. --Durtro
|     | Please send all flames, trolls, and complaints to /dev/toilet.
|_..._| LUSER: I have a problem.  ADMIN: Keep talking... I'm reloading.

Post by Georg Mischl » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>: I have proted Radiance v3.1.2 succesfully to the win32 platform. You should

> Neat.  :)  So, does it run in console mode, or have you actually given it
> a graphical interface like POV-Ray 3.x?

That's my job :)

I am currently developping a GUI to radiance which will run on NT and
several unix brands. I do depend on lbnl to finish the NT port of the
core radiance engine though, which means that I can't finish it before
next year either (probably first quarter). Unfortunately, although I'm
registered as a beta tester, I haven't heard about the status of the
official port for some time.

Other than you might hope (and I hoped for the last few years), this
GUI will not be freeware. I have invested years of experience with
radiance and GUI programming, as well as hours and hours of actual
implementation efforts into it, so I need to sell it as a commercial
product. The end user price will be moderate though, in relation to
what you can do with it.  If you invent me a good name for the package,
you can earn yourself a free copy. :)

The package will be able to run standalone, or coupled with autocad
and maybe another popular CAD package. As with plain radiance, you
can also import geometry data from various sources.

This is the reanimation of the old "autocad to radiance interface
project", which started with torad, ddrad, radout and other tools,
most of which you can still get from my pages. My goal in
implementation is that the finished tool can handle virtually any
set of data that can be rendered with plain radiance, and allows to
use all radiance features from the GUI (well, allmost all...).

The tool will share some features with Desktop Radiance (actually,
they even share some code) but will not be as tightly coupled to
autocad (and therefore Windows) as lbnl plans to implement it.
Unfortunately, it is still to early to go into the details yet,
but the overall strategy between Desktop Radiance and my tool will
be fairly different. They seem to address "Joe average", while
my target audience is more the knoweledgeable lighting designer
or architect, who care about the exact control over the results
of their calculations.

In any case, I'm afraid you'll have to wait another few months,
until you see a radiance release for NT, with or without GUI, which
has some kind of official support coming with it. Of course, you
can allways compile the current unix version with gnu-win32, MKS
or a similar toolkit. I haven't tried this myself, but I think
it should be fairly straightforward.

Have fun!

Georg Mischler
http://www.schorsch.com/

1. Has anyone ported LBLs Radiance to WinNT/98?

Hello there...

I would like to know if anyone has ported LBLs Radiance renderer to any of
the Windows environments?

If you have, I would truly appreciate it if you could share which version of
Radiance you ported over ( I have v3.1.8 ) and what hoops on the Windows
side you jumped through.  My current development environment is Win 98 using
VC++ 5.0.

Thanks

2. gnuplot manual

3. Ellipse() on Win95/98 vs. WinNT/2000

4. night ambient illumination

5. FAST ARC Algrthym needed !!!!

6. Question on porting GLE library to MS Windows 98/NT

7. Error saving Jpeg in Win2000

8. Radiance porting ?

9. radiance Dos port

10. Call For Papers: PDPTA'98 / CISST'98 / FUSION'98 - Las Vegas, July 1998

11. Call For Papers: PDPTA'98 / CISST'98 / FUSION'98 - Las Vegas - July 1998