Help pls. Converted pcx to gif using alchemy look awful on WWW page?

Help pls. Converted pcx to gif using alchemy look awful on WWW page?

Post by Sue Ellen Stra » Mon, 13 Mar 1995 05:37:53

We bought a brand new hpIIcx yesterday and scanned mag. pictures and photos.
They look pretty good in Corel's Photopaint. We then converted them using
alchemy and they look terrible. Any suggestions would be very greatly
appreciated! Thanks in advance!
SueEllen Strapp

Post by Alchemy Mindworks I » Thu, 16 Mar 1995 20:03:00

>Subject: Help pls. Converted pcx to gif using alchemy look awful on WWW page?
>Date: Sat, 11 Mar 1995 20:37:53 UNDEFINED
>We bought a brand new hpIIcx yesterday and scanned mag. pictures and photos.
>They look pretty good in Corel's Photopaint. We then converted them using
>alchemy and they look terrible. Any suggestions would be very greatly
>appreciated! Thanks in advance!
>SueEllen Strapp

You might want to have a look at Graphic Workshop. It's at our FTP site and
WWW page, listed below. Also, check out GIF Construction Set for web page GIF
files.

-Steve

Alchemy Mindworks Inc. -- Since the earth was flat
Download the latest versions of Graphic Workshop, Pagan Daybook,
Desktop Paint and our other applications from our FTP site at
uunorth.north.net, in the directory /pub/alchemy.
WWW page at http://uunorth.north.net:8000/alchemy/html/alchemy.html

Post by Walter J. Turberville (I » Sun, 19 Mar 1995 09:33:01

>Subject: Re: Help pls. Converted pcx to gif using alchemy look awful on WWW page?
>Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 11:03:00

>>Subject: Help pls. Converted pcx to gif using alchemy look awful on WWW page?
>>Date: Sat, 11 Mar 1995 20:37:53 UNDEFINED
>>We bought a brand new hpIIcx yesterday and scanned mag. pictures and photos.
>>They look pretty good in Corel's Photopaint. We then converted them using
>>alchemy and they look terrible. Any suggestions would be very greatly
>>appreciated! Thanks in advance!
>>SueEllen Strapp

>You might want to have a look at Graphic Workshop. It's at our FTP site and
>WWW page, listed below. Also, check out GIF Construction Set for web page GIF
>files.
>-Steve
>Alchemy Mindworks Inc. -- Since the earth was flat
>Download the latest versions of Graphic Workshop, Pagan Daybook,
>Desktop Paint and our other applications from our FTP site at
>uunorth.north.net, in the directory /pub/alchemy.
>WWW page at http://uunorth.north.net:8000/alchemy/html/alchemy.html

For anyone else interested, the key is to reduce colors to 256 colors using a
standard palette that matches the browser's (Netscape's in this case) palette.
 The one in PaintShop Pro seems to match.  If you use an "optimised" palette,
the picture will be dithered a second time when the browser displays it if the
browser is operating on a system using a 256 color display.  The results are
unpredictable and can cause speckled looking pictures.  If the system the
browser is running on is using a hi-color display or better, then there would
be no problem.

Remember that everyone who looks at your page may be using a different browser
and color depth to view your page.  If you are in business, it would pay to
view your page a number of different ways.

Phoenix, AZ                |http://www.primenet.com/~wturber
...........................|ftp.primenet.com/users/w/wturber

Help pls. Converted pcx to gif using alchemy look awful on WWW page?

Post by Jon McGui » Thu, 06 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> We bought a brand new hpIIcx yesterday and scanned mag. pictures and photos.
> They look pretty good in Corel's Photopaint. We then converted them using
> alchemy and they look terrible. Any suggestions would be very greatly
> appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Get PaintShop Pro 3.0 at: http://www.winternet.com/~jasc/
It's pretty amazing for $69 (considering the price difference, it's not
far fetched to compare it to PhotoShop).

Post by Alchemy Mindworks I » Thu, 06 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>Subject: Help pls. Converted pcx to gif using alchemy look awful on WWW page?
>Date: 31 Mar 95 04:19:57 GMT
>We bought a brand new hpIIcx yesterday and scanned mag. pictures and photos.
>They look pretty good in Corel's Photopaint. We then converted them using
>alchemy and they look terrible. Any suggestions would be very greatly
>appreciated! Thanks in advance!
>SueEllen Strapp

You might want to have a look at Graphic Workshop. It's at our WWW page and
FTP site, listed below.

-Steve

Alchemy Mindworks Inc. -- Since the earth was flat
Download the latest versions of Graphic Workshop, Pagan Daybook,
Desktop Paint and our other applications from our FTP site at
uunorth.north.net, in the directory /pub/alchemy.
WWW page at http://uunorth.north.net:8000/alchemy/html/alchemy.html

1. Help Needed !Using graphics on Quick Basic 4.0...PCX,GIF,TIFF,.files

   Hi,

      I'm tring to break the PC Basic barrier...GRAPHICS!...It's great
that Quick Basic offers high resolution and up to 256 color support...
but what's the use if Quick Basic isn't compatible with anykind of
image files--i.e.,  .PCX or .GIF or .TIFF or .LBM or etc...--
      I'm creating a program which calls for loading digitized pictures
while running in QBAsic...because of technical problems I don't want to
shell into DOS to load the picture...MY question is:  Is there anyway I
can display .PCX or .GIF or .TIFF or any other popular image files into
Qucik Basic 4.0....

   I would appreciate any new ideas, solutions, or suggestions...

      Thanks,
  Vahe Petrossian

2. What is Microtek's BBS number ...

3. to efg: help with this strange pcx-unit pls

4. Batch graphics resizing?

5. command util convert pcx to gif

6. Offset Printing and Color Correction

7. Convert large number of PCX to GIF

8. printing not centred

9. Converting Gif or PCX or...to Postscript

10. Converting Postscript to Gif or PCX opr etc...

11. Converting PCX and GIF's to IFF format