Volume Rendering with POV-Ray

Post by Doug Haig » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Will POV-Ray render volume data? I have a 16 x 16 x 16 matrix of numbers
I want to render as a volume and use alpha curves to show highlighted
areas. Is there an object to handle this type of data? (In AVS is is a
uniform structured field).

Post by Markus Becke » Sat, 19 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Will POV-Ray render volume data? I have a 16 x 16 x 16 matrix of numbers
> I want to render as a volume and use alpha curves to show highlighted
> areas. Is there an object to handle this type of data? (In AVS is is a
> uniform structured field).

POV-Ray (the official version) by itself will not render volume data.
But there's a patch out (Iso-Surface patch) that does a great job.

Look at: http://www.public.usit.net/rsuzuki/e/povray/iso/index.html

M.

Post by SUZUKI Ryoich » Sat, 19 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Will POV-Ray render volume data? I have a 16 x 16 x 16 matrix of numbers
> I want to render as a volume and use alpha curves to show highlighted
> areas. Is there an object to handle this type of data? (In AVS is is a
> uniform structured field).

POV3ISO (isosurface patch for POVRay3) can render isosurfaces of
volume data.  An example can be found at
  http://www.public.usit.net/rsuzuki/e/povray/iso/exmpl1.html

Above example use volume data of 256 x 256 x 109  obtained from
  ftp.povray.org/pub/povray/objects/

1. POV-Ray and volume ray tracing?

Has anybody ever tried (or thought of trying) to incorporate volume
ray tracing into POV-Ray? Could anybody think of problems why this
could not be done? I haven't implemented any kind of ray tracing
so far, but I have a good idea how "classical" ray tracing works,
and a somewhat vague one about volume ray tracing. So I'm not sure
whether the two things bite each other, or whether it would be as
simple (is it simple?) as introducing a new object type into POV-Ray.

While we're at it, if anybody knows about good freely available
volume ray tracers, I'd appreciate getting pointers.
--

2. PS7 Question

3. Volume Rendering and Ray Casting

4. Physical Simulation - Dynamics

5. Two Questions

6. How to combine volume rendering with POV?

7. US-CA-Glendale - CGI Engineer - Warner Bros. Feature Animation

8. volume rendering of scientific data using povray

9. Roue dentées pour POV-Ray/cogwheels for POV-Ray

10. New POV-Ray Electronic Newsletter (POV-Ray Times)

11. Fix for POV-Ray for Windows rendering speed

12. Poser figure renders with rainbow effect in POV-Ray