Video BLACKout on Indy 46K (Irix 5.3)

Post by Marc Thom » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

         One of our faculty members have an Indy 46K (running Irix 5.3)
which developed the following video problem: at various times, but
usually 5-20 minutes after a cold boot the screen goes BLACK (as if the
screen/lowpower saver were kicking in - and the video monitor led
for low-power mode goes on) but no amount of keyboard action or
mouse action will get it back -- you have to reboot the damn system.

I have done the following:

  1. installed all X, video, and graphics patches for Irix 5.3 (no change)
  2. temporarily disabled the network, removed extra peripherals, and
     dropped to a minimal, stand-alone system (no change)
  3. temporarily disabled the screen saver (no change)
  4. tried running an MIT-type .xsession instead of using the
     "reaper" (no change)

If I (re-enable the network and) telnet in, su to root, and send a
SIGHUP to Xsgi it comes to life but this is not an option for the
faculty member (who wants to have the machine at home).

If anyone has any other ideas I am receptive to considering anything
at this stage (execpt black magic).

I have been reading all SGI FAQ's (again and again). One thing puzzles
me. This particular problem is referred to as a "rollup." I am more
used to Suns, VaxStatations, and AlphaStations and haven't come
across this term before. Does it have some specific meaning or
does "rollup" just mean "*up?"

                Marc Thomas

                (remove tokens with underscore '_')

Post by Walter Robers » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

:I have been reading all SGI FAQ's (again and again). One thing puzzles
:me. This particular problem is referred to as a "rollup." I am more
:used to Suns, VaxStatations, and AlphaStations and haven't come
:across this term before. Does it have some specific meaning or
:does "rollup" just mean "*up?"

The problem isn't a rollup, the fix is in a rollup. A rollup, short
for rollup patch, is a patch that combines fixes from several other
patches.

You indicate that you,
: 1. installed all X, video, and graphics patches for Irix 5.3 (no change)

but did you install the IRIX 5.3 Recommended Patch Set for Indy ?

Video BLACKout on Indy 46K (Irix 5.3)

Post by Marc Thom » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

Thanks (I have performed item (5) since last post and I now know
       what "rollup" means):

         One of our faculty members have an Indy 46K (running Irix 5.3)
which developed the following video problem: at various times, but
usually 5-20 minutes after a cold boot the screen goes BLACK (as if the
screen/lowpower saver were kicking in - and the video monitor led
for low-power mode goes on) but no amount of keyboard action or
mouse action will get it back -- you have to reboot the damn system.

I have done the following:

  1. installed all X, video, and graphics patches for Irix 5.3 (no change)
  2. temporarily disabled the network, removed extra peripherals, and
     dropped to a minimal, stand-alone system (no change)
  3. temporarily disabled the screen saver (no change)
  4. tried running an MIT-type .xsession instead of using the
     "reaper" (no change)

  5. at the suggestion of various users I went back and installed the
     full Recommended Patch set for Irix 5.3 (still no change)

I should have explained that all processes are still running.
If I (re-enable the network and) telnet in, su to root, do "ps -ef",
and send a SIGHUP to Xsgi it comes to life but this is not an option for the
faculty member (who wants to have the machine at home).

If anyone has any other ideas I am receptive to considering anything
at this stage (execpt black magic).

                Marc Thomas

                (remove tokens with underscore '_')

Video BLACKout on Indy 46K (Irix 5.3)

Post by Essential Mailbo » Thu, 04 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I think I might have your solution -
Our Indy had the same problem, and I was sure it was the hardware, it
was very intermittant. Steve Allen gave me the tip that if you have a
nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf that does not exist, X fails to start.
Try it, it worked for us, but our problem appeared only after 6.2
upgrade...
-Matt Daly

--
Essential Pictures