FH 5.0... some comments

Post by Thomas Lee Hort » Tue, 21 Mar 1995 06:39:53

My firm uses FreeHand 5.0 and I find that it's a VAST improvement
over version 4.0, which was one of the worst products in history,
IMHO.

The new version tweaks a lot of the interface changes in version
4.0.  So far, I've found it to be very powerful, wicked fast and
pretty pleasurable to work with.

A caveat or two:

1)  The "spread" feature, to make trapping a little easier, which
was taken out between versions 3.1 and 4.0, is back, but I have
experienced post-script voodoo (knockout problems) when using it.

2)  It handles Illustrator plug-ins, but when you use an illustrator
"create" plug-in (spiral, star, etc.), it creates the new object
always on the TOP layer, even if that layer is LOCKED.  Very annoying.
Once it's there, you can't move it unless you unlock the layer.

3)  We are using two different PPDs for our NewGen Imager Plus 12,
and one of them (actually the more recent version) puts out
the paper sideways using FH 5.

There are still some VERY klugey features to the interface-- four
mouseclicks to center text is just stupid-- put it all on the text
palette, folks!

In version 5, however, you can generate a links report, embed graphics,
do multicolor blends, sample colors, and the color names update
automatically if you choose.  The beauty is that most of these features
can be turned on or off accoding to your tastes.  Some problems remain,
but with any luck, version 5.1 isn't far behind-- and it will be cheap!
In my opinion (and I've worked with both), it beats the pants off
Illustrator 5.5.

Now if only Adobe will catch PageMaker up to speed....

So far, though, so good.  Bravo, Macromedia!

--
*******************************   *********************************
|                              * *                                |

FH 5.0... some comments

Post by Simon Lewenste » Tue, 21 Mar 1995 11:11:54

(snip)

Quote:> The new version tweaks a lot of the interface changes in version
> 4.0.  So far, I've found it to be very powerful, wicked fast and
> pretty pleasurable to work with.

We too are really happy with Version 5.0... got a very nice demo recently
at the Dallas MacPack by Jim VonEhr (Altsys founder).

(snip)

Quote:> it creates the new object
> always on the TOP layer, even if that layer is LOCKED.  Very annoying.
> Once it's there, you can't move it unless you unlock the layer.

I've also had the weird layer syndrome... any posted tips will be appreciated.

Simon L.

JPT Graphics
Irving, Texas

FH 5.0... some comments

Post by Chris Beaumo » Thu, 23 Mar 1995 04:08:19

If anyone else has any experience with the new Freehand, I'd like to hear
it.. I'm considering buying the program..

Thanks!
-Chris.

1. FH 3.1, PM 5.0 & TypeReunion

We are having a really bad time with the Control Palette font
selector in PageMaker 5.0, and the Type Specs menu in FreeHand
3.1 at my studio.  We use TypeReunion (but so does everybody
else) and I thought that was the problem, so I want to see if
it's unique or if anyone else has experienced this.

Sometimes you get no fonts at all in the control palette (henceforth
CP) in PM 5.0, sometimes you do get them, select one and it works,
sometimes you get them, select one and it says "Font not found",
If you try typing the first few letters of a font, it often references,
then says "Font not found".  Sometimes it works.  The CoMMAND-T
Type Specs Menu in PM 5.0 always works, though the "Font" menu
selection does not always.

In FH 3.1, the Type Specs menu sometimes references the wrong
font when you select from it; sometimes it's okay.
The "Font" menu selection always works.

In FH 4.0, we don't have this type of problem (it gives us
other problems, but that's another thread).  Of course,
the interface for type (while improved) is so gross nobody wants to
use it (except me).

Help me help my co-workers!  Advice?

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()() THOMAS HORTON
ACUITY MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS ()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()() NASHVILLE, TN

2. GIF to MACII?

3. Any comments regarding Lightwave 5.0 for Mac?

4. Rendering spheres with GL

5. GOOD GIFs from AI/FH possible?

6. California scene

7. FH 7 Question - clip path dragging