HELP with SE/30 and external monitor

Post by Martin Cri » Sat, 02 May 1998 04:00:00

> Hi

> I am about to get a RasterOps 624 color video card for SE/30. When I moved
> my SE/30 to the side of my SVGA monitor, the monitor suffered from
> interference. I could place them away from each other, but that ruins the
> whole virtual desktop setup. The monitor is a PC monitor (IBM G40 model, if
> that helps). Is there a way to shield from this interference?

Well... I haven't seen/used the 624 (never heard of it before), I use the
fixed resolution (640*480) 264 board in an SE/30. [Yes the thought that
you'd transposed numbers crossed my mind, but you have the benefit of the
doubt].

It also causes interference (or more precisely I think the analog sweep
board in the SE/30 interferes with the monitor). My solution was to use the
lid off one of my wife's cake tins to damp the interference to a tolerable
level. I straightened out 2 of the edge flaps, put some blue-tac on the
underside of the remaining flaps and secured it to the side of the SE/30
facing the external monitor.

Quote:> Also, is the RasterOps 624 compatible with all current monitors (PC and
> Mac)? Lastly, I need help in selecting the correct VGA adaptor. I need one
> that will work with all current PC monitors at higher resolutions. I am
> looking at two so far. Both have dip switches, but one also has a rotary
> switch. Which one is better?

As mine is fixed res, I haven't explored this, sorry.

HAve Fun
MArtin
--

Computer Systems Officer - Tourism Tasmania <ringnose 'at' tourism.tas.gov.au>
User/Mail/Network Support & Admin, Lotus Notes Dev & Admin.

Owner/Operator - Tesseract Computing <hypercube 'at' tesseract.com.au>
4D & Applescript => automated office & control systems
General Mac Consulting

My Opinions == Tesseract Computing's Opinions != Tourism Tasmania's Opinions

Post by Jeffrey S. Dutk » Sat, 02 May 1998 04:00:00

> Hi

> I am about to get a RasterOps 624 color video card for SE/30.
> When I moved my SE/30 to the side of my SVGA monitor, the
> monitor suffered from interference. I could place them away
> from each other, but that ruins the whole virtual desktop setup.
> The monitor is a PC monitor (IBM G40 model, if that helps).
> Is there a way to shield from this interference?

You cold place a fine metal mesh between the computer and the
monitor (even a sheet of aluminum foil might work). If no part
of the monitor can "see" any part of the SE/30 then you should
be cutting off any through-air transmission. If that doesn't
work you can surround either the SE or the monitor with the
same metal mesh (aluminum foil would be a bad idea here, due to
cooling problems). Another problem could be with the video cable.
Make sure that the cable has an EMI *on it and that it is
not too long. If the cable were too long you might see blurring
of the screen image in the middle of the screen or other kinds of
distortion. The distortion might change if you move the cable
around, loop it, or otherwise change it's geometry.

Quote:

> Also, is the RasterOps 624 compatible with all current monitors
> (PC and Mac)? Lastly, I need help in selecting the correct VGA
> adaptor. I need one that will work with all current PC monitors
> at higher resolutions. I am looking at two so far. Both have dip
> switches, but one also has a rotary switch. Which one is better?

I have used the ViewSonic adapter which supposedly works up to
resolutions of 1600x1200 on multifrequency monitors. I have been
told by friends that it is better, however, to have a cable hard
wired specifically for your configuration. You can probably find
information on the arrangement of the indicator signals in the Mac
video connector on Apples website.

- Jeff Dutky

HELP with SE/30 and external monitor

Post by Bill Kau » Sun, 03 May 1998 04:00:00

My recollection from SE30 days is putting the monitor on the right helps
because you're farther away from the analog board.

--
To get random signatures put text files into a folder called 3Random Signatures2 into your Preferences folder.

Post by Ran Bart » Mon, 04 May 1998 04:00:00

> My recollection from SE30 days is putting the monitor on the right helps
> because you're farther away from the analog board.

Having used an SE/30 with a Radius Pivot, I'll vouch for this.  Mine
flickered on the left, but was rock solid on the right.

Good luck,
Ran

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Ran Barton [remove the 'x's below]

http://members.xaol.com/rb3/index.html

1. Question: SE/30 and external monitor

I wanted to add a larger monitor to my SE/30.  I wanted to add a 14" Apple
Color Plus display and an 8-bit Spectrum PDS card.  Does anyone have any
experience with this?  Is the graphics quite slow and obnoxious?

Also does anyone know whether their exits a PDS card that has both an
accelerator and graphics on single board?

I am also interested in any sources (used and new) where I could find the
above items.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would appreciate an email response if possible.

Thanks,
Brent Nokleby

2. What's faster: imagemap or segmented graphics ?

3. HELP with SE/30 and ext monitor

4. Wanted - Alias kinematic viewer

5. Spectrum/8 Series II SE/30 HELP!!!!!!!!

6. how to improve real-time speed?

7. HELP: grapics card w SE/30

8. BMP in Program

9. SE/30 Color Graphics Boards

10. FA: Xceed Grayscale adaptor for Mac SE/30

11. Which is best for SE/30?

12. WTB_ Mac SE/30 video adapter

13. WTB: Mac SE/30 video adapter