Irix 5.3 DISPLAY Problem

Post by Brian Costanz » Fri, 06 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi, any help/suggestions on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

    I have an Indy running Irix 5.3.  The Indy is standalone, not on a
network, running csh.  When I turn on the computer, the blue screen
comes up, it gives all the standard messages about how it is
checking the system and the system is coming up, etc.  After that, the
screen goes blank and  never comes back up with the login screen.  I ran
the hardware tests available from the "stop for
maintenance" option and it yielded no problems.  So, I have been working
extensively in single user mode trying to debug the problem.  At the
very heart of it, it seems it can't open the display.  A
classic X problem.  However, all traditional attempts to set the
environment variables DISPLAY and TERM have failed.  Such as "setenv
DISPLAY indy:0.0", where indy is the hostname of my
computer.  Trying "xhost +" also yields the error message:  "can't open
display indy:0.0".

    One thing that seems very strange is that my system does not know
its hostname upon startup.  I have to set it manually using "hostname
indy" and even that doesn't stick upon reboot, despite
the fact that my /etc/sys_id has the correct hosname.  Even after I set
it manually, it doesn't allow me to get to the login screen.  I've tried
<ctrl><shift><F12></>) but neither seem to do anything.  I've tried
going into /usr/gfx and running "stopgfx" then "startgfx".  I've tried
setting my term to vt100.  When I log into single user mode, it
sources the .login which tries to set the TERM variable, but cannot,
so queries for the proper terminal as shown below (Terminal type? ...)

onintr resetty
set noglob
if($?term == 0) then
    set term = unknown
endif

if($term==unknown || $term == network) then
    echo -n "Terminal type? [4d=4D console, v=vt52, w =wyse30, i = iris,
other]"
    set term = $<
    if ($term == "") then
        set term = dumb
    else
        switch ($term)

I've tried all the options and none seem to work.  For some reason the
term variable is null.   I'm not really sure where to go from here or
what caused all this
trouble in the first place.  It seems my system crashed one day and this
is the result.  One other thing,  I snooped around and found the file
/usr/adm/SYSLOG and found a couple of messages that
seem to point to the problem:

            xdm[767]:  server unexpectedly died
            xdm[767]:  Server for display :0 can't be started, session
disabled.

Finally, I've been told my /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf are ok.

Thanks,

Brian Costanza

--
------------------------------------------------------------------->
brian.francis.costanza                  control.systems.analyst

TRW SPACE & TECHNOLOGY DIVISION         Avionics Systems Center
One Space Park

Redondo Beach, CA 90278                 310.813.1721
<-------------------------------------------------------------------

Irix 5.3 DISPLAY Problem

Post by Scott Henr » Fri, 06 Mar 1998 04:00:00

B>     I have an Indy running Irix 5.3.  The Indy is standalone, not on a
B> network, running csh.  When I turn on the computer, the blue screen
B> comes up, it gives all the standard messages about how it is
B> checking the system and the system is coming up, etc.  After that, the
B> screen goes blank and  never comes back up with the login screen.  I ran
B> the hardware tests available from the "stop for
B> maintenance" option and it yielded no problems.  So, I have been working
B> extensively in single user mode trying to debug the problem.  At the
B> very heart of it, it seems it can't open the display.  A
B> classic X problem.  However, all traditional attempts to set the
B> environment variables DISPLAY and TERM have failed.  Such as "setenv
B> DISPLAY indy:0.0", where indy is the hostname of my
B> computer.  Trying "xhost +" also yields the error message:  "can't open
B> display indy:0.0".

Make sure that the hostname is in the file: /etc/sys_id

and that the hostname is in /etc/hosts. Since this is a standalone
machine, it should have the default IP address: 192.0.2.1

--

 IRIX MTS,                   /  GIGO *really* means: Garbage in, Gospel Out
 Silicon Graphics, Inc      /  http://reality.sgi.com/scotth/

Irix 5.3 DISPLAY Problem

Post by Brian Costanz » Sat, 07 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Scott,Thanks for the sugggestions.

Quote:> Make sure that the hostname is in the file: /etc/sys_id

I verified this.  My sys_id file has one word, namely, indy.

Quote:> and that the hostname is in /etc/hosts. Since this is a standalone
> machine, it should have the default IP address: 192.0.2.1

Actually, the ip address for the hostname indy was set to 100.1.1.1

I changed it to what you suggested, and the only difference I could

see is a message upon bootup that says "network: warning: indy's internet

address is the default.  using standalone network mode"

At any rate, it did not allow my login screen to come up, and the system

still didn't know it's hostname.  If you have any more suggestions they

would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Brian

--
------------------------------------------------------------------->
brian.francis.costanza                  control.systems.analyst

TRW SPACE & TECHNOLOGY DIVISION         Avionics Systems Center
One Space Park

Redondo Beach, CA 90278                 310.813.1721
<-------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Autocad Release 13 Display Problems/Irix 5.3/Sgi Indy

We have purchased Autocad R13 for unix, version c2b/c3a, and installed it
on
a Silicon Graphics Indy workstation, running Irix 5.3.  The program bombs
when the following is attempted:
Open an existing drawing and select a line
Choose Modify Properties
Choose Modify Line
Choose Linetype Centre.

The error message is: ADI reply receive error.

A similar type of problem with R12 was solved by some new display drivers
from SGI.

Any solutions or suggestions?

2. great site

3. Problem porting X application from IRIX 5.3 to IRIX 6.4

4. Check my image galleries

5. IrisGL problem: IRIX 5.3 --> IRIX 6.2

6. NEEDED: Plug-in to morph between motion paths

7. Problem with mpeg-player on IRIX 5.3

8. Limit on size of GL nurbs surface?

9. Galileo Installation Problem under IRIX 5.3

10. IRIX 5.3 on an Impact -- X Windows problems

11. problem with movieplayer (IRIX 5.3)

12. Problem with OpenInventor, IRIX 5.3 and personal iris.

13. Problem with Draggers with IRIX 5.3