scratchboard

Post by Frank Hargreave » Sat, 23 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Is anyone aware of a filter or software to generate a scratchboard (aka,
scraperboard) effect?  Like the portraits in the ads and on the bags of
Barnes and Noble.
--
Experience a frisson of delight!
Visit our home page at http://frankpat.home.att.net/

scratchboard

Post by Nate Hare » Sat, 23 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Frank,

I am looking for a filter that will take a photo of a person and make it
look like the one that is used in various newspapers (such as the NY Times)
depicting their reporters. Is that what you are referring to as
"scratchboard"? If so, then I would be interested in anything you hear.

Thanks

Nate Harel

Quote:> Is anyone aware of a filter or software to generate a scratchboard (aka,
> scraperboard) effect?  Like the portraits in the ads and on the bags of
> Barnes and Noble.
> --
> Experience a frisson of delight!
> Visit our home page at http://frankpat.home.att.net/

scratchboard

Post by Frank Hargreave » Sat, 23 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> Frank,

> I am looking for a filter that will take a photo of a person and make it
> look like the one that is used in various newspapers (such as the NY Times)
> depicting their reporters. Is that what you are referring to as
> "scratchboard"? If so, then I would be interested in anything you hear.

> Thanks

> Nate Harel

[snip]
Well, I haven't posted anything here in eons but I still have advice
from Bill Schnakenberg from a year ago (and he thought I never paid
attention to him) -

....you can achieve a reasonable halftone effect with PSP alone.  Take
your 16 million color greyscale image and then go to Image, Resize, and
resize it to 50% of its H & W using Smart Size.  Then go to colors and
decrease colors to 256 colors with Standard Pallette, Ordered dither.
When done, resize it 200% to get back to the original size.

BTW, with the response I've gotten thus far, you and I maybe can become
penpals?

--
Experience a frisson of delight!
Visit our home page at http://frankpat.home.att.net/

scratchboard

Post by Angela M. Cabl » Sat, 23 Sep 2000 04:00:00

No, not really a half-tone.  I don't think I've ever seen a filter that
will do a good representation of scratchboard, maybe a pencil effect
then negative image it.  Scratchboard is heavy white paper (like card
stock) that is coated with black ink.  You then use a nibbed pen without
ink to remove the black coating allowing the white to "show through".
It's like working in pen and ink but in reverse, it was one of my
favorite mediums when I was in school, hard to find the scratchboard in
this po-dunk little town :-)

> Frank,

> I am looking for a filter that will take a photo of a person and make it
> look like the one that is used in various newspapers (such as the NY Times)
> depicting their reporters. Is that what you are referring to as
> "scratchboard"? If so, then I would be interested in anything you hear.

> Thanks

> Nate Harel

> > Is anyone aware of a filter or software to generate a scratchboard (aka,
> > scraperboard) effect?  Like the portraits in the ads and on the bags of
> > Barnes and Noble.
> > --
> > Experience a frisson of delight!
> > Visit our home page at http://frankpat.home.att.net/

--
Angela M. Cable
http://www.neocognition.com

PSP Tutorial Links:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/9871/PSPlinks.html
5th Street Studio, free graphics, websets and more:
http://www.fortunecity.com/westwood/alaia/354/
BladePro Visual Archive:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~angeal/

scratchboard

Post by Don Stauffe » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 04:00:00

No single filter, but here is what you can do.  Reduce
colors to make it look posterized. Convert to gray scale.
Then use the edge detection filter.  You will now have a
black on white image.  Now invert colors.

> Is anyone aware of a filter or software to generate a scratchboard (aka,
> scraperboard) effect?  Like the portraits in the ads and on the bags of
> Barnes and Noble.
> --
> Experience a frisson of delight!
> Visit our home page at http://frankpat.home.att.net/

--
Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

http://home1.gte.net/stauffer/

1. scratchboard/woodcut icons needed

        Any FTP sites that contain a scratchboard/woodcut icons?
what I'm looking for are little images such as balloons, hats, chiken
drumsticks, musical instraments, etc... Bitmaps would be the best.
Robert Garbowski                        Central Connectidot State University

2. Strange scaling in dxf export files .......