Book Announcement: Computational Geometry in C (2nd Ed.)

Book Announcement: Computational Geometry in C (2nd Ed.)

Post by Joseph O'Rour » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

COMPUTATIONAL GEOMETRY IN C (SECOND EDITION)
Joseph O'Rourke
Cambridge University Press.

Printed 28 September 1998; shipping as of 2 October 1998.
Hardback:  ISBN 0521640105, $69.95 (55.00 PST)
Paperback: ISBN 0521649765, $29.95 (19.95 PST)

Some highlights:
1. 376+xiii pages, 270 exercises, 210 figures, 259 references.
2. Although I've retained the title "...in C," all code
   has been translated to Java, and both C and Java code is available
   via links from http://cs.smith.edu/~orourke.
3. A Java Applet permits interactive use of the code.  See previous URL.
4. First Edition code improved:  Postscript output, more efficient,
   more robust.
5. New code (see below).
6. Expanded coverage of randomized algorithms, ray-triangle intersection,
   and other topics (see below).

Basic statistics:
1.  approx. 50 pages longer
2.  31 new figures.
3.  49 new exercises.
4.  74 new references
5.   4 new programs.

New code:
1.  To compute the Delaunay triangulation from the 3D hull in O(n^2).
2.  To intersect a ray with a triangle.
3.  To decide if a point is inside a polyhedron.
4.  To compute the convolution (Minkowski sum) of a convex polygon with
    a general polygon.
5.  To generate regularly distributed points on the surface of a
    sphere.

Significant code improvements:
1.  Triangulation code now O(n^2) rather than n^3.
    Uses lists rather than arrays.
2.  Graham scan handles collinear points more cleanly.
3.  Convex hull in 3D starts with double-covered triangle.
    Volume determinant computations much faster.  Overflow handled better.
4.  Segment-segment intersection code handles special cases cleanly.
5.  Point-in-polygon code classifies all boundary points correctly.
6.  Intersection of convex polygons handles special cases more uniformly.
7.  Robot arm configuration more robust.

New coverage of these topics:
1.  Partition into monotone mountains (for triangulation).
2.  Randomized trapezoid decomoposition.
3.  Randomized triangulation.
4.  The ultimate convex hull algorithm.
5.  Randomized 3D hull construction.
6.  Twin edge data structure.
7.  Furthest-point Voronoi diagram figure.
8.  Red-blue matching.
9.  Intersection of segment and triangle.
10. Point-in-polyhedron.
11. The Bentley-Ottmann algorithm for intersecting segments.
12. Boolean operations between two polygons.
13. Segment search tree.
14. Sources and further reading: annotated bibliography.

Book Announcement: Computational Geometry in C (2nd Ed.)

Post by Peter Immarc » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

(Reply to Group and Sender)

Joseph,

Do you know anybody who has it in stock?  Both Amazon and Barnes and Nobles
list it as Special Order with a 3-5 week processing time.

Thanks,
Peter.

> COMPUTATIONAL GEOMETRY IN C (SECOND EDITION)

<SNIP>

Book Announcement: Computational Geometry in C (2nd Ed.)

Post by Joseph O'Rour » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Do you know anybody who has it in stock?  Both Amazon and Barnes and Nobles
>list it as Special Order with a 3-5 week processing time.

You can order direct from Cambridge in NY, http://www.cup.org.
It will take a few weeks for the books to reach secondary sellers
like Amazon or B&N.

Post by steve » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>>Do you know anybody who has it in stock?  Both Amazon and Barnes and Nobles
>>list it as Special Order with a 3-5 week processing time.
>You can order direct from Cambridge in NY, http://www.cup.org.
>It will take a few weeks for the books to reach secondary sellers
>like Amazon or B&N.

I ordered it online from Computer Literacy Bookshop last weekend and
they had multiple copies in stock and shipped it in one day to me. (Of
course I live only 30 miles from their store in San Jose...)

Bye the way - I've spent a couple evenings reading it and it answers
about 90% of the questions posted in this newsgroup about polygons,
triangles, slopes etc...Its been 22 years since I graduated from
college and I'm just getting back into the math/engineering... it's
really very readable.

S.D.B.
PC Tools
Santa Cruz, CA

1. Book Announcement: Computational Geometry in C (2nd Ed.)

[...]

2. Max reels

3. Solutions to De Berg's Computational Geometry book exercises (2nd edition)

4. colored LineTo fails

5. Book Announcement: Handbook of Discrete & Computational Geometry

6. Images available

7. How to make smooth fonts ?

8. Call for Papers - 2nd CGC Workshop on Computational Geometry

9. Announcement: CGAL Computational Geometry Algorithms Library available

10. Texturing and Modelling (2nd Ed.)

11. Doc Errors: Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice 2nd Ed.