Diamond FireGL 1000 Dos Vesa mode problems

Diamond FireGL 1000 Dos Vesa mode problems

Post by Puc » Fri, 23 May 1997 04:00:00

Last week I bought a Diamond FireGL 1000 OpenGL accelerator. The card
contains 8MB of SGRAM and a 3DLabs Permedia and Glint Delta processor.
I must say that I'm very pleased with the OpenGL and DirectX
acceleration I got under Windows 95.

But I still have some problems using the card for games (yes, I play
them too, but no, I bought the card for serious 3D modelling and NOT
for games). According to Diamond, the FireGL 1000 should be Vesa 2.0
compliant. I used their Vesa driver for Dos based applications,
VBETUNE.EXE. I loaded it in my AUTOEXEC.BAT before starting Windows
95, but none of my games detected the driver, not even if I booted in
Dos mode only.

After some searching on the Web, I dug up SciTech's Display Doctor
5.3a and downloaded a fully functional evaluation version. After
installation I ran UVCONFIG.EXE, which correctly detected my card as
one with a 3DLabs Permedia, 8MB RAM and some IBM RAMDAC chip. I
verified these with what I saw on the card. The program also stated
that a linear framebuffer would be enabled at location 4016 MB. This
linear framebuffer completely locked up any Dos based program that
uses a Vesa resolution, so I disabled it.

After this, my Dos based apps will run, but for some reason the screen
starts flickering and showing horizontal lines at any resolution other
than 320x200.

Has anyone experienced this too, with either the FireGL, an equal
Permedia card or any other graphics card? And is there a solution to
this problem? Any hints and tips are appreciated.

In case it has something to do with my system configuration: I have a
Asus TP55XE4 motherboard with an Intel Pentium 120 and 16 MB EDO RAM,
two Western Digital Caviar drives (2,5 GB and 850 MB) a Mitsumi FX/400
CD-Rom drive, and an Iomega Zip SCSI insider (with Zip Zoom SCSI
card). I'm using Windows 95 OEM SR2, with DirectX 3.0 and Diamonds'
FireGL 1000 drivers (04/97) installed. For Dos Vesa modes I tried
Diamonds' VBETUNE.EXE and SciTech Display Doctor 5.3a (formerly known
as UniVBE).

Thanks in advance,

Pascal Frencken
ELC Groupware

1. Diamond FireGL 1000 Dos Vesa mode problems

[...]

2. Page Numbering question

3. Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro AGP?

4. opengl stopped working on mac

5. Leadtek L2300 vs Diamond firegl 1000 pro?

6. Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro Questions...

7. Diamond FireGL 1000??

8. Diamond FireGL 1000