Wanted: script to flush cache

Post by MikeJSchneid » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I'm looking for an Applescript (or better yet, F-key or Keyquencer key)
that will automatically flush Netscape's (Communicator or Navigator) cache
folder.

Know of one?

Wanted: script to flush cache

Post by Alex Burto » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 04:00:00

this is what i use (you might have to change the name or remove it if you
dont have user profiles on)
Alex

tell application "Finder"
 try
  delete {file "Netscape History", file "pab.na2"} of folder "Alex Burton" of
folder "Netscape Users" of folder "Preferences" of folder "System Folder" of
startup disk
  delete every file in folder "Cache ?" of folder "Alex Burton" of folder
"Netscape Users" of folder "Preferences" of folder "System Folder" of startup
disk
 end try
end tell

Post by the3blr » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> I'm looking for an Applescript (or better yet, F-key or Keyquencer key)
> that will automatically flush Netscape's (Communicator or Navigator) cache
> folder.

> Know of one?

Get TrashBag (freeware) and designate it for your cache folder. It resides on
your desktop, not your System Folder. It automatically flushes the cache on
each restart, or you can flush it manually whenever you want.

Wanted: script to flush cache

you could also try cache killer.  it deletes all the files in the
folders you specify.  you can put it in the startup or shutdown items
for convenience.  i think i found it at macorchard.com

Dave Browne

http://technolite.cjb.net
"Cuidado las llamas!"
"The box said 'Windows 98 or better', so i used a Macintosh"

Post by David Hellster » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 11:46:37

> I'm looking for an Applescript (or better yet, F-key or Keyquencer key)
> that will automatically flush Netscape's (Communicator or Navigator) cache
> folder.

> Know of one?

Set up a 5 meg RAM disc and point the browser to it. Works wickedly
quick - clears itself on restart.
Wish I thought of it but I love it
Much easier to do, faster web response plus takes wear pressure
fragmentation etc away from your drive.

Post by MikeJSchneid » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> > I'm looking for an Applescript (or better yet, F-key or Keyquencer key)
> > that will automatically flush Netscape's (Communicator or Navigator) cache
> > folder.

> > Know of one?

> Set up a 5 meg RAM disc and point the browser to it. Works wickedly
> quick - clears itself on restart.
> Wish I thought of it but I love it
> Much easier to do, faster web response plus takes wear pressure
> fragmentation etc away from your drive.

   I need a * utility that works on the fly (it takes, I think, six
or seven movements and clicks to clear it by going through Netscape's
prefs) when I'm online (a restart dumper is useless), because I frequently
browse weather sites with many images played in loops; occasionally one
screws up and I want to reload the whole mess, but Netscape prefers to
pull the corrupted image out of its cache. The only way to make it load a
fresh copy is the flush the cache.
   That's why a keyquencer command would be ideal.

Mike Schneider, VRWC Sentinel Outpost.  "Autoguns, on-line!"  +--+--+--+

JESSE VENTURA - The question "Where are the news pests coming from?"
brings the name Jesse Ventura readily to mind. He has wedged, rooted,
and become a tenacious media darling, despite a popular awareness he
is an entirely unimportant person whose currency is kept viable by an
entirely unimportant press. The astonishment is not that a wrestler
could be intelligent enough to have become the Governor of Minnesota,
but that Ventura was ever intelligent enough to be a wrestler.
   -- PEST CONTROL, Norman Liebmann: http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by the3blr » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> > > I'm looking for an Applescript (or better yet, F-key or Keyquencer key)
> > > that will automatically flush Netscape's (Communicator or Navigator) cache
> > > folder.

> > > Know of one?

> > Set up a 5 meg RAM disc and point the browser to it. Works wickedly
> > quick - clears itself on restart.
> > Wish I thought of it but I love it
> > Much easier to do, faster web response plus takes wear pressure
> > fragmentation etc away from your drive.

>    I need a * utility that works on the fly (it takes, I think, six
> or seven movements and clicks to clear it by going through Netscape's
> prefs) when I'm online (a restart dumper is useless), because I frequently
> browse weather sites with many images played in loops; occasionally one
> screws up and I want to reload the whole mess, but Netscape prefers to
> pull the corrupted image out of its cache. The only way to make it load a
> fresh copy is the flush the cache.
>    That's why a keyquencer command would be ideal.

> Mike Schneider, VRWC Sentinel Outpost.  "Autoguns, on-line!"  +--+--+--+

That's why I suggested TrashBag. It sits on your desktop. All you have to do is
open it and double-click  "Flush." You can size your browser window so the
TrashBag is visible to the right (or left if you use your left hand for your
mouse). If you get TrashBag, read the instructions carefully. Its default
position is right next to the Trash Can...but you can unlock it it can be put
anywhere on the desktop. I love it and have been using the same version since OS
7.5.5.

Wanted: script to flush cache

Post by S » Tue, 22 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>    I need a * utility that works on the fly (it takes, I think, six
> or seven movements and clicks to clear it by going through Netscape's
> prefs) when I'm online (a restart dumper is useless), because I frequently
> browse weather sites with many images played in loops; occasionally one
> screws up and I want to reload the whole mess, but Netscape prefers to
> pull the corrupted image out of its cache. The only way to make it load a
> fresh copy is the flush the cache.
>    That's why a keyquencer command would be ideal.

You never thought about selecting a folder on the desktop to
be cache folder?It makes a lot of difference in clicking.

Post by Phil Ro » Tue, 22 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> >    I need a * utility that works on the fly (it takes, I think, six
> > or seven movements and clicks to clear it by going through Netscape's
> > prefs) when I'm online (a restart dumper is useless), because I frequently
> > browse weather sites with many images played in loops; occasionally one
> > screws up and I want to reload the whole mess, but Netscape prefers to
> > pull the corrupted image out of its cache. The only way to make it load a
> > fresh copy is the flush the cache.
> >    That's why a keyquencer command would be ideal.

> You never thought about selecting a folder on the desktop to
> be cache folder?It makes a lot of difference in clicking.

Hmmm. A lot? I wonder...

select Finder
Hide Others
move (or close) any open finder windows (if necessary)
open cache folder
select all
move to trash
empty trash

Phil Rose

Wanted: script to flush cache

Post by Gerr » Tue, 22 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Phil, I just tried to send you some scripts to

Gerry