How to present 3D surfaces without color?

How to present 3D surfaces without color?

Post by Jialin Zho » Sun, 20 Mar 1994 01:46:23

Color is a powerful cue to visualize and present 3D surfaces.
But sometimes, color is not permitted, e.g., in conference proceedings.
I wonder if anyone knows any good methods or good software to plot
3D surfaces of good quality without using color.

Post by Pete Clin » Tue, 22 Mar 1994 20:22:32

: Color is a powerful cue to visualize and present 3D surfaces.
: But sometimes, color is not permitted, e.g., in conference proceedings.
: I wonder if anyone knows any good methods or good software to plot
: 3D surfaces of good quality without using color.

The easiest way is just to use greyscale, which in many cases is just as
effective anyway.  If continuous grey shading isn't avaiable, or
reasonable dithering, wiremesh portrayals are usually the most effective.

--
Peter Clinch                            University of Dundee
voice 44 382 60111 x 2050               Department of Medical Physics

Post by Francisco X DeJes » Wed, 23 Mar 1994 04:15:35

>Color is a powerful cue to visualize and present 3D surfaces.
>But sometimes, color is not permitted, e.g., in conference proceedings.
>I wonder if anyone knows any good methods or good software to plot
>3D surfaces of good quality without using color.

If your software supports it, how about a hidden-line representation?
Perhaps overlay it on top of a grayscale rendering...

My $.02,
--

 | ___/< \/ >  -------------------------------------------------------   /
 | __|  >  <   [disclaimer: opinions are mine, typos and errors yours]   \/> _
 |_|   <_/\_>  "Hack the hardware, not the Constitution." -B. Sterling   |#\/`

1. Radiobutton in a color present in Palette

Hi there,

I'm writing a delphi 1 app in 256 color mode. All the bitmaps are using the
same palette with 236 colors (made with Adobe Photshop).

I'm also using some TRadioButtons that i want to give a color that is
present in the bitmap (and in the palette). I'm getting the RGB code of the
color with Photoshop, and fill it in in Delphi. In the color specification I
replace $00xxxxxx With $02xxxxxx to prevent dithering.

The displayed color is not the color that i want it to be. What am i missing
here, and what to do to give the radiobuttons the same color as used in the
background bitmap?

Thanks in advance,
Peter

2. why won't this work?

3. 3d surfaces (wireframe, colored wireframe) with DELPHI

4. Color interpolation

5. New component for displaying and rotating colored 3D surfaces

6. need help in hardware buying ?

7. High Res Earth Surface with & without Clouds

8. How to trace a fat line?

9. Screamernet Problem...Nodes render objects but without surfaces...Help

10. curved surface rasterization without tessalation

11. Attaching surface without DELETE

12. Contour plot without a surface plot?