video card (graphics card) for Performa 6400?

video card (graphics card) for Performa 6400?

Post by Tom Mill » Tue, 13 May 1997 04:00:00



Bought a Performa 6400 a few months ago for my business and was
astonished and disappointed to find that the video was a measly 256
colors.

Now I want to add a graphics card to give it 24-bit color. Doesn't
have to be lightning fast, but cannot be real slow either. I'm
thinking of the Matrox MGA Millennium for PCI Power Mac. Anyone have
comments on this card?

Any other cards in this price range ($255-$300) I should consider?

I presume any PCI card will work on the Performa 6400 -- true?

TIA.

----------------------------------------------------
"Trudy is Beauth,-- Beauth, Trudy"

[To send me an email, remove xxx from my address]

 
 
 

video card (graphics card) for Performa 6400?

Post by Tom Mill » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00





>snip
>> Now I want to add a graphics card to give it 24-bit color. Doesn't
>> have to be lightning fast, but cannot be real slow either. I'm
>> thinking of the Matrox MGA Millennium for PCI Power Mac. Anyone have
>> comments on this card?

>I think all you need is another MB of VRAM, not a graphics card to get
>millions of colors.

Thanks for trying, but the VRAM is soldered onto the logic board and
not upgradeable. I wish!

I did find out that I can set the refresh to 60hz and get 1,000s of
colors. Trouble is the flicker is noticeable at this rate. I'm gonna
try it and see if I can stand it, but am still looking for a separate
card.

----------------------------------------------------
"Trudy is Beauth,-- Beauth, Trudy"

[To send me an email, remove xxx from my address]

 
 
 

video card (graphics card) for Performa 6400?

Post by Patrick Beson » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00



> Bought a Performa 6400 a few months ago for my business and was
> astonished and disappointed to find that the video was a measly 256
> colors.

> Now I want to add a graphics card to give it 24-bit color. Doesn't
> have to be lightning fast, but cannot be real slow either. I'm
> thinking of the Matrox MGA Millennium for PCI Power Mac. Anyone have
> comments on this card?

I think all you need is another MB of VRAM, not a graphics card to get
millions of colors.

--
Patrick Besong, Graphic Designer
University Photo/Graphics
15 Mitchell Bldg.
The Pennsylvania State University
University Park, PA 16802
Phone: 814-863-0755

home page: www.cde.psu.edu/users/pzb4/

 
 
 

video card (graphics card) for Performa 6400?

Post by Tom Mill » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00




Quote:>> Thanks for trying, but the VRAM is soldered onto the logic board and
>> not upgradeable. I wish!

>> I did find out that I can set the refresh to 60hz and get 1,000s of
>> colors. Trouble is the flicker is noticeable at this rate. I'm gonna
>> try it and see if I can stand it, but am still looking for a separate
>> card.

>Hmmm...that seems odd. I just set up a Performa 6360 for a friend and
>I'm sure his had millions of colors. I'll look again next time I'm over
>there. I'd think his would be a lesser computer than your 6400
>(especially since he got his on close-out at Sears).

Thanks again, but your friend's has the same video setup as mine:
32,768 colors at 800x600 at 60hz (also at 640 x 480 at 60hz). Wish it
were not so.

Still looking for info on video card, BTW.

----------------------------------------------------
"Trudy is Beauth,-- Beauth, Trudy"

[To send me an email, remove xxx from my address]

 
 
 

video card (graphics card) for Performa 6400?

Post by Patrick Beson » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00


Quote:> Thanks for trying, but the VRAM is soldered onto the logic board and
> not upgradeable. I wish!

> I did find out that I can set the refresh to 60hz and get 1,000s of
> colors. Trouble is the flicker is noticeable at this rate. I'm gonna
> try it and see if I can stand it, but am still looking for a separate
> card.

Hmmm...that seems odd. I just set up a Performa 6360 for a friend and
I'm sure his had millions of colors. I'll look again next time I'm over
there. I'd think his would be a lesser computer than your 6400
(especially since he got his on close-out at Sears).

--
Patrick Besong, Graphic Designer
University Photo/Graphics
15 Mitchell Bldg.
The Pennsylvania State University
University Park, PA 16802
Phone: 814-863-0755

home page: www.cde.psu.edu/users/pzb4/

 
 
 

1. Performa 6400/200 ..what PCI graphics card?

Short of dumpster diving, or eBay wanderings, is there a readily (retail)
obtainable PCI video card suitable for use in a Performa 6400/200? I have a
friend looking to hook up to a cable modem, we have the NIC & RAM and now
need a reliable PCI Video card. Please let me know what works for you, and
if they are available.

thank you

george

2. SIGGRAPH Pittsburgh Chapter meeting

3. What video card to buy for 6400?

4. HELP ON PLOTTERS ...

5. 6400 Video Card and TV Tuner Question

6. How to load icons & bitmaps

7. Performa 6400/200 Avid Video opinions?

8. Free Flic Screen Saver Engine Updated!!!

9. Performa 6400 Video Subsystem

10. 6400 & TV/FM Tuner Card

11. Any VistaScan 2.3 + Performa 6400 users?

12. Dual Monitor On Performa 6400/180

13. Problem with Performa 6400/200 and 3dfx Voodoo3 2000