Urgent help needed: How to change 30 into 25

Urgent help needed: How to change 30 into 25

Post by HisMajest » Thu, 06 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hello all,
I have this problem.
American standard for video output is 30 frames per second.  Asean
standard is 25 frames per second.
There is this job that is done to 30 frame per seconds and the mistake
is realized after the whole job of 4 months is done.  I cannot find a
way of getting the output w/o having the entire job done again.   Does
anyone know of any software that can do conversion of 30fps to 25fps?
Thanks for all help.  I would appreciate greatly if anyone would reply
to me personally.

Urgent help needed: How to change 30 into 25

Post by Thaddeus J. Beie » Sat, 08 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Basically, this is a non-trivial problem, in anybody's book.
You have to build a bunch of new frames, from the current frames.
Fortunately, 1 out of every 6 frames is fine...you only have to
make the other 5.

You could just blend frames together, but that'd look pretty bad.
You really want to basically morph together two frames, warping
each one to fit the other, to make a composite that is crisp, but
is halfway between the two.

There is hardware to do this.  There are machines called standards
converters, that do this; they are only OK, they add a weird shimmy
to the image; but they work in real time.  Call any big post house,
it can't hurt to try this first.

There is software to do this.  Kodak has a new tool called
Cinespeed that is designed exactly to solve your problem, it allows
the variation of speed of any sequence.  Many PhD's spent many years
up in Rochester designing the motion analysis and morphing parts of
this program, it's amazing.  Call Cinesite at 213-458-4000 and
ask if they'll do it for you as a service...it's probably cheaper
than buying the software.

I've written programs to do this too; but they require that the
animator specify the correspondences by hand...it's cheap, but it's
a significant amount of animator work.

thad

   Visual Effects Supervisor                408) 287-6770
   Hammerhead Productions  http://www.got.net/people/thad

Urgent help needed: How to change 30 into 25

Post by Ben Canno » Mon, 10 Feb 1997 04:00:00

" movieconvert " will do this (on 6.2, probally 5.3 as well)
it'll take in the 30fps video, and do all the pulldowns/etc
needed to get 25fps.

BTW, the NTSC american standard is actually 29.97fps, not 30 :)

Quote:> Hello all,

--
| As I sat there, the light changed from red, to    |
| green, to yellow, to red again. Was life nothing  |

1. .AVI or Mpeg Playback at 25 to 30 fps? Help!

As I understand, Mpeg 1 resolution is about 350 by 160.  this
gets double for "VHS quality resolution".  Right now I get about
13 fps on my computer playing back .AVI's that are 640x480 converted
from FLC's using Animator Studio.  I'm using the Indeo 3.2 codec
and using a Diamond Stealth 64 (4MB) on a 166 MHz Pentium.
        The 640x480 resolution is really pretty but the frame rate of
the .AVI playback (13 fps) is to slow.  I hate to render the animations
at lower resolution and double up on playback.

question 1)  Is Mpeg 1 really limited to 350x160 resolution?
question 2)  Is there .AVI accelerator?

        I'm looking for a sub $1K solution that plays back through
the Diamond card or out to a video feed for recording.  The Diamond
Mpeg solution is Mpeg 1 (low res).  I understand that Mpeg 2 supports
higher resolutions?

        I'd appreciate your input.  While the computer industry is
playing around, I'm stuck with 13 fps!

2. Adobe Video?

3. *** URGENT URGENT URGENT URGENT URGENT URGENT URGENT URGENT ***

4. How can i cut an image into pieces?

5. comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro statistics Mon, 30 Sep 2002 (last 30 days)

6. Lightwave benchmarks

7. URGENT, ANGLE CHANGE DETERMINATION ALGO NEEDED

8. IFFT and Img generation

9. *** URGENT URGENT URGENT URGENT URGENT ***

10. Help (Urgent)Allowing Changes to PDF File (Security issue)

11. Urgent help!Changing scenes

12. Need software to create 30 second jpeg commercials

13. HELP with SE/30 and ext monitor