Newbie with newbie questions

Post by HitDaSki » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello one hello all;

Alright folks, forgive me, but I am a complete newbie to the renderman shading
language, and have a slew of questions.  I have been using rhino3d modeler for
quite sometime now, and have had some great success, except in the rendering
department.  I'm not entirely satisfied with rhino's renderer.  But I was
stumbled upon BMRT and I got e*d because of the quality of renders in the
gallery on the BMRT homepage.  My questions are the following:

Must I have any compiler other than slc to use BMRT?

Where should I start in order to become proficient in the shading language, in
a C programming book, or in The Renderman Companion by Steve Upstill?

Basically, where can I get more info that will kickstart me into action?  Is
there any documentation that explains every function and variable etc?

Thank you for any help you can offer
Joe Shmoe

Newbie with newbie questions

Post by Manuel Rene Cortines Alduci » Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:00

For compiling new shaders you only need slc, evrything is included in the
distribution. But if you want to create progrmas you'll need a C/C++
compiler, and in the Windoze version you need Visual C++. As far as
resources for learning to program shaders, the first one is the RenderMan
Companion, and also the notes by Steve May. Also check the RenderMan
Repository for loads of examples:

http://www.veryComputer.com/~smay/RManNotes/
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/

and if you can get them, try the RenderMan course notes from SIGGRPH 95
and 98.

[...]

Manuel Alducin
The George Washington University
Computer Graphics

Newbie with newbie questions

Post by Justin Mille » Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Well Mr. Shmoe, sounds like you've mostly got the right idea.  Knowing C
is a plus (no pun intended :), since the syntax and functionality is very
similar to (and based on) the C language, but there's no need to learn C
solely to write shaders.  slc is the only compiler a non-programmer will
need, I assume you'll just be rendering RIB files exported from Rhino.

For straight learning, probably the best site out there is RManNotes, at
www.cgrg.ohio-state.edu/~smay/RManNotes.  This site is awesome as far as
breaking down the shading language into manageable pieces, and with good
style!  Another great stop is the RenderMan Repository, at rmr.spinne.com;
lots o' goodies there.  And don't be afraid to go to Altavista and do a
search on RenderMan; I'm sure I missed a few.

As for books, the Companion is a good book and you'll hear it mentioned
frequently on this ng, but it's more of a reference than a "getting
started" kind of book.  The above websites should get you pretty
comfortable with the SL, after that I would recommend the book "Texturing
and Modelling: A Procedural Approach".  Read about it at:

http://www.veryComputer.com/~ebert/book/book.html

A course that involved RenderMan that are nice to check out
is www.cgrg.ohio-state.edu/~smay/DigitalLighting.  There was another one
too, but I can't find it now.

Finally, past Siggraph course notes have contained talks on RenderMan.
However, these are hard to come by, particularly before they started
putting all the course notes on CD.  Check www.siggraph.org if you're
interested.

Good luck!

-Justin

Quote:> Hello one hello all;

> Alright folks, forgive me, but I am a complete newbie to the renderman shading
> language, and have a slew of questions.  I have been using rhino3d modeler for
> quite sometime now, and have had some great success, except in the rendering
> department.  I'm not entirely satisfied with rhino's renderer.  But I was
> stumbled upon BMRT and I got e*d because of the quality of renders in the
> gallery on the BMRT homepage.  My questions are the following:

> Must I have any compiler other than slc to use BMRT?

> Where should I start in order to become proficient in the shading language, in
> a C programming book, or in The Renderman Companion by Steve Upstill?

> Basically, where can I get more info that will kickstart me into action?  Is
> there any documentation that explains every function and variable etc?

> Thank you for any help you can offer
> Joe Shmoe

Newbie with newbie questions

Post by HitDaSki » Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I want to thank everyone who answered, you guys are a big help.  I checked out
the rman notes, and it looks like its not too difficult to get it going, the
only problem with alot of the info out there is that it isnt geared toward a
beginner, rather someone who has alot more experience in this area than I do.
I think what I will do is check out some college catalogs in my area (SF bay
area).  If there is anyone in the area than give any extra insight, dont be
shy.

1. Newbie newbie questions

OK, here's my gazillion newbie-questions to PRMan. I hope someone will
answer just a few of them .....

I haven't yet read The RenderMan Companion (I have ordered it - still
waiting) so maybe some of these questions will be answered there - but
I'm too impatient .... so please bear with me.

1. I'm using a Mac and am aware, of cause, that Pixar (Steve, how
could you!) has stopped developing MacRM. The last version of MacRMan
is 1.3.5b5. How does it differ in terms of functionality from the Unix
one - can I compile a shader, say from this usegroup and expect it to
work on the Mac?

2. I have heard rumers that The Valis Group is going to release a new
version of ShowPlace/RM. If that's true, will RM continue to get
updated for the Mac through Valis?

3. How does PRman do reflections in general. Do you have to render two
(or more) images - one from the reflective objects 'point of view' and
map it onto the actual object and rerender the scene, or is there a
simpler way? (I believe BMRT does raytracing, but since I have a Mac
etc. etc. ... BTW, does BMRT do raytracing WITH soft mapped shadows?)

4. Does anyone know of a photoshop plugin that enables you to open and
edit .Tex, .Bump and .Env images?

5. The PPC-platform, scheduled sometime late this year, will run the
Solaris Unix OS (I think) as well as MacOS and WinNT - does the
current PRman for Unix run on that OS?

6. I have heard of some docs called RenderMan Toolkit, is that
available on the net somewhere?

7. I have absolutety no knowledge of the C language what so ever, but
I have done some light 'programming' with Basic, Lingo and messed a
lot with the POV raytracer (and I think SOME of the RenderMan
interface resembles it). Should I forget about the whole thing?

2. "Ambient Occlusion" Pass with Dmap shadows.

3. This may sound as a newbie question when really i'm not actually a newbie :)

4. Dongle # Check?

5. NEWBIE NEWBIE question

6. question on image generation under X windows

7. Newbie of newbie - help please !

8. fahrenheit 1280 drivers

9. gif vs jpg (newbie to newbie)

10. Lightwave Newbie Not 3D Newbie - Looking for Tutorial URL's

11. hermite curves [newbie++][very newbie]

12. Newbie question on tif format

13. Newbie question/Scanned pix