ATI Universal Installer 3.3 on an 8600/300

ATI Universal Installer 3.3 on an 8600/300

Post by batma » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hmmmm, to the best of my knowledge, the only logic board that has the
RagePro chipset installed on is the rev2 and above G3's, not the 8600's.
Unless you've installed a specific graphics card in your 8600, you're
s.o.l.

Post by Paul McGra » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> The ATI Universal Installer 3.3 will not install on my 8600/300, as it doesn't
> detect an ATI card.  My questions are:

> 1. What kind of video chip is on the motherboard?  I think it's an ATI Rage
> Pro, but the Apple website doesn't have any info on that.

> 2. Does the Universtall Installer have drivers for this ATI chip?

> 3. Is it possible to force the new drivers to install on my system?

The 8600 has no ATI accelerator installed on the motherboard (it has a
custom Apple video controller IIRC). If you have an ATI accelerator card
in a PCI slot and the installer isn't detecting it (odd, but...) then
choose the custom install option.

--

...Paul McGrane

*As always, my email is a fixer-upper*