Pov + Big Pics + Multiple Machines ?

Post by Andreas Dilg » Thu, 09 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>I tried to create a large picture (6400x3200 Pixel) with Povray using multiple
>PCs, but it just don't work.

>When i start the Pic on one PC, everything is ok. I can interupt it and start
>it again with the +c option. But when i try to start another part of the pic
>on another PC, using the +s1000 option to render from row 1000, i can't
>continue it properly with the +c option. Pov thinks the already rendered part
>starts from the beginning and ignores the +s1000 option. (this must be a
>known bug. is it ? is there a way to fix it ?).

Sorry to sound cynical, but why don't you just make sure you don't interrupt
the rendering?  If it rendered ok as a small single image, it will render
fine as multiple larger images if you don't keep interrupting it.  Chances
are you will spend more time trying to get the resume problem fixed than it
would take just to render the images.  If the +v verbose information isn't
enough for you, you can always split the image into smaller chunks so that
they will be finished faster.  This is also a good idea as it will allow
you to distribute the work among the available machines more uniformly.

Having said that, the resumption of an interrupted trace that didn't start
in the top-left corner has been fixed and will be working in POV 3.0, but
only for TGA and PNG format files.  This is because these file formats
support storing the starting pixel offset within the file, which can be used
by POV when restarting.  While the changes needed within the TGA file code
would be relatively minor for getting this to work in POV 2.2, it requires
re-ordering of certain sections of the main code, which I have not taken the
effort to do for the older version. If you are truly desparate, email me and
I can describe what needs to be done in the POV 2.2 code to support this (you
will need a compiler and the POV source code).  Alas, the PNG patch for
POV 2.2 does not support resuming an interrupted trace.

You could optionally use PVMPOV to do distribute the trace across multiple
machines.  It has the advantage of using each processor to its full
capacity, doesn't need to have the image pasted together at the end, and will
work properly even if interrupted.  However, you would need to have the
machines on a network, and you would need a compiler and some time to set
it up.  It will work on Windoze (all forms), and Linux (on PCs that is, all
UNIX platforms are supported).

Cheers, Andreas.
--
Andreas Dilger   University of Calgary  \"If a man ate a pound of pasta and
(403) 220-8792   Micronet Research Group \ a pound of antipasto, would they

Pov + Big Pics + Multiple Machines ?

Post by Peter Colli » Mon, 13 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>>When i start the Pic on one PC, everything is ok. I can interupt it and start
>>it again with the +c option. But when i try to start another part of the pic
>>on another PC, using the +s1000 option to render from row 1000, i can't
>>continue it properly with the +c option. Pov thinks the already rendered part
>>starts from the beginning and ignores the +s1000 option. (this must be a
>>known bug. is it ? is there a way to fix it ?).

Have you tried rendering in vertical strips instead of horizontal ones?

|  call my raytracing home page at: http://www.ee.cit.ac.nz/~collinpe  |

1. Multiple Windows on Multiple Machines

Hi!

We are doing a project which need to be run in multiple
machines in different windows. That is, we want to run a
program on one machine and to diaply it on another machine
with a different view points. Also, the other window should
update the scene as the other user interacts with his
window.  Is it possible? If yes, what could be the best
approach?

We are working on Onyx and Impact with Irix6.2 and OI 2.1.
Thanks in advance.

- Youngser

Youngser Park                   | The George Washington University

(202) 994-5373 (O) -0227 (FAX)  | 801 22nd St. NW, Washington, DC 20052

2. OpenGL Tutorial

3. Lookin for big pics

4. CALS raster file spec?

5. Save for Web BOMBS on Big Pics

6. Breaking out of the shell

7. E-Machines Big Picture driver

8. converting between BIG/SMALL endian machines

9. Is 188mg file to Big for P-133 Machine

10. multiple pics on same page

11. How to create panorama w/ multiple pics?

12. multiple pics