HELP! Very dim monitor

Post by CMS » Sun, 09 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi
Like the subject says.  Even when the brightness and contrast are
cranked all the way up the screen is still too dim to be usable, even in
complete darkness.

The monitor in question is an Apple multiple scan 20, actually a Sony
tube.  It was made in May 94 so it is relatively recent.  It is newer
than my old Sony 20 inch made in 1991 which is still very bright, plus
other old Sonys we have from 89,90, and 91 or so which are fine.  This
leads me to believe that the tube itself should still be in good
condition and the problem is elsewhere.

Any tips?  I have opened it up and there are few usable controls in
there.  There also appears to be nothing obviously wrong with any of the
internal electronics, but I can't be completely certain about that.

The monitor was given to me in this condition, I don't know the story
behind it and can't give any other info.  Is this a common problem?
What should I do?  What could I expect to pay if I took it to an Apple
place to have it either fixed or replaced?  Any other recommendations?

Thanks for the help

CMS

HELP! Very dim monitor

Post by Steve Bel » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>Hi
>Like the subject says.  Even when the brightness and contrast are
>cranked all the way up the screen is still too dim to be usable, even in
>complete darkness.

>The monitor in question is an Apple multiple scan 20, actually a Sony
>tube.  It was made in May 94 so it is relatively recent.  It is newer
>than my old Sony 20 inch made in 1991 which is still very bright, plus
>other old Sonys we have from 89,90, and 91 or so which are fine.  This
>leads me to believe that the tube itself should still be in good
>condition and the problem is elsewhere.

>Any tips?  I have opened it up and there are few usable controls in
>there.  There also appears to be nothing obviously wrong with any of the
>internal electronics, but I can't be completely certain about that.

>The monitor was given to me in this condition, I don't know the story
>behind it and can't give any other info.  Is this a common problem?
>What should I do?  What could I expect to pay if I took it to an Apple
>place to have it either fixed or replaced?  Any other recommendations?

>Thanks for the help

>CMS

Your problem isn't common. I've not seen many bad CRT's on these monitors,
but those I have mainly suffered from poor focus. A few were a little dim,
but you could obviously see they had been heavily used by the desktop burnt
into the screen phosphor.

These monitors are unlike others that have a screen or G2 control internally
that can be used to peak up the brightness of a failing CRT. The M1823
Multiple Scan 20 is based upon Sony's GDM-20E01 and uses DAS software for
many of its adjustments. This was the last monitor that Sony made that also
had a service mode for the same adjustments. Using this mode is fiddly, and
can easily result in screwing up other adjustments if you make an error.
Email me if you want to risk this. Depending upon the value you put on the
monitor, it may be better to have it repaired professionally.  Here you have
2 options, module exchange via an AASP, or an independent component level
repairer. The repair via an AASP will be expensive, and although a component
level repair will be cheaper, you may have trouble finding someone with the
right level of experience to do the repair.

Steve Bell

HELP! Very dim monitor

Post by Stefwe » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

May 94? that was ages ago mate. last century.

> Hi
> Like the subject says.  Even when the brightness and contrast are
> cranked all the way up the screen is still too dim to be usable, even in
> complete darkness.

> The monitor in question is an Apple multiple scan 20, actually a Sony
> tube.  It was made in May 94 so it is relatively recent.  It is newer
> than my old Sony 20 inch made in 1991 which is still very bright, plus
> other old Sonys we have from 89,90, and 91 or so which are fine.  This
> leads me to believe that the tube itself should still be in good
> condition and the problem is elsewhere.

> Any tips?  I have opened it up and there are few usable controls in
> there.  There also appears to be nothing obviously wrong with any of the
> internal electronics, but I can't be completely certain about that.

> The monitor was given to me in this condition, I don't know the story
> behind it and can't give any other info.  Is this a common problem?
> What should I do?  What could I expect to pay if I took it to an Apple
> place to have it either fixed or replaced?  Any other recommendations?

> Thanks for the help

> CMS

HELP! Very dim monitor

Post by Tom Stille » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>May 94? that was ages ago mate. last century.

Nope! Still this century.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint =  5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3  7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

HELP! Very dim monitor

Post by John Sea » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> Like the subject says.  Even when the brightness and contrast are
> cranked all the way up the screen is still too dim to be usable, even in
> complete darkness.

Search MacFixIt for information on a prank extension that slowly causes
the monitor to dim. I think it had some official-sounding name like
"OpenTptSerial".

--
John Seal

HELP! Very dim monitor

Post by Stephe » Tue, 11 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> >May 94? that was ages ago mate. last century.

> Nope! Still this century.

pedant

--
I really am sorry about the poor spelling, its a software fault.
remove the nospam for replying

HELP! Very dim monitor

Post by Conal Guan-Yow H » Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> May 94? that was ages ago mate. last century.

He :) Actually, the 21st century doesn't begin until 2001.

HELP! Very dim monitor

Post by David P. Johnso » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> He :) Actually, the 21st century doesn't begin until 2001.

And the fact that almost no one understands this just proves that the
vast majority of the population can be totally cluless about any
particular topic. I've even met math/science types that don't get the
century thing, as if they can't count by themselves..

--
David
->(Signature continues here)

HELP! Very dim monitor

Post by David P. Johnso » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> > >May 94? that was ages ago mate. last century.

> > Nope! Still this century.

> pedant

idiot

--
David
->(Signature continues here)

HELP! Very dim monitor

> > > Nope! Still this century.

> > pedant

> idiot

Sorry. But really. Get a clue.

--
David
->(Signature continues here)

HELP! Very dim monitor

Post by BuZz » Thu, 18 May 2000 04:00:00

Is your monitor dark at startup-?  My old 21" MultiSync does this as
well.

Try this trick I got from a Mac techie:  when you boot the thing up
cold, hold down these keys simultaneously: control + command + P + R,
listen for the "BONNGG"----you'll be resetting the parameter RAM
("zapping the PRAM")---watch the screen; if it lightens, let up on the
keys  (hold the keys until the screen lightens).

I swear this works.  You may have to reset the mouse afterwords.

I am unsure of the effect this has on your CPU, etc.  I admit I don't
know squat about it; I know it gets my damnned monitor going.  Please
don't bother flaming me, experts, but if this is a bad idea, I'd like to
know.

S. Jobs

HELP! Very dim monitor

Post by BuZz » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

> Try this trick I got from a Mac techie:  when you boot the thing up
> cold, hold down these keys simultaneously: control + command + P +    R, listen for the "BONNGG"----you'll be resetting the parameter RAM
> ("zapping the PRAM")---

Damn-!  I meant the *OPTION* + command + P + R keys.  Sorry.

HELP! Very dim monitor

Post by Amorya Nort » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> I am unsure of the effect this has on your CPU, etc.  I admit I don't
> know squat about it; I know it gets my damnned monitor going.  Please
> don't bother flaming me, experts, but if this is a bad idea, I'd like to
> know.

good idea, it resets most the settings held in the battery powered RAM (except the clock and a few more). Some control panels hold their settings here, such as monitor resolution, sound volume etc. If they get corrupted, the reset clears them to the defaults.

Amorya

HELP! Very dim monitor

Post by Applemac_G » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

in article

Quote:> Is your monitor dark at startup-?  My old 21" MultiSync does this as
> well.

> Try this trick I got from a Mac techie:  when you boot the thing up
> cold, hold down these keys simultaneously: control + command + P + R,
> listen for the "BONNGG"----you'll be resetting the parameter RAM
> ("zapping the PRAM")---watch the screen; if it lightens, let up on the
> keys  (hold the keys until the screen lightens).

> I swear this works.  You may have to reset the mouse afterwords.

> I am unsure of the effect this has on your CPU, etc.  I admit I don't
> know squat about it; I know it gets my damnned monitor going.  Please
> don't bother flaming me, experts, but if this is a bad idea, I'd like to
> know.

> S. Jobs

I'm not sure how old your system is, but you say your monitor is old.  You
might want to try replacing the on board backup battery and see if that
eliminates your need to do frequent PRAM zaps.

HELP! Very dim monitor

Post by Tom McCai » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

> in article

>> Is your monitor dark at startup-?  My old 21" MultiSync does this as
>> well.

>> Try this trick I got from a Mac techie:  when you boot the thing up
>> cold, hold down these keys simultaneously: control + command + P + R,
>> listen for the "BONNGG"----you'll be resetting the parameter RAM
>> ("zapping the PRAM")---watch the screen; if it lightens, let up on the
>> keys  (hold the keys until the screen lightens).

>> I swear this works.  You may have to reset the mouse afterwords.

>> I am unsure of the effect this has on your CPU, etc.  I admit I don't
>> know squat about it; I know it gets my damnned monitor going.  Please
>> don't bother flaming me, experts, but if this is a bad idea, I'd like to
>> know.

>> S. Jobs

> I'm not sure how old your system is, but you say your monitor is old.  You
> might want to try replacing the on board backup battery and see if that
> eliminates your need to do frequent PRAM zaps.

You might try going through the Colorsync setup and see if that helps.

--tom

1. gmb eye-one had me dim my monitor

Hello,

I was surprised when the eye-one monitor calibration device had me dim
my LCD monitor a bit. Is this so it resembles "paper" output better? I
have the 20" cinema on a mac.

also when calibrating my wife's iMac (original monitor-on-a-stalk
model)lcd screen it asked to make it brighter even when it was at max
brightness. It wanted a 140 cdn/cm2 brightness but it could only muster
112. The cinema display maxed out at 212. They didn't seem that
different to me.

-Josh

2. SGI artist needed - S. Fla.

3. 3ds4 - help: dimming out.

4. MODE-X 640X400X256

5. Dimming the Screen - help?

6. animating visibility

7. References on representing N Dim data

8. 3D data from surfaces of tree-dim. objects

9. 3D-FFT and Hausdorff Dim Analysis

10. layer choices dimmed

11. Why's my Rubber Stamp tool dimmed?