Need help choosing editing software

Post by CoralSwo » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

     I would like to remove the writing/words from some photos that I have. I
would like to know if there is a software program that makes this easy to do. I
know that you can "retouch" photos after scanning them into the computer but
this seems to involve coloring over the words to match the background which
would take forever if the background colors are numerous and subtle. Is there
any quick and easy way to do this? Thank you.

Post by Lisa Leo » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>      I would like to remove the writing/words from some photos
> that I have. I would like to know if there is a software program
> that makes this easy to do. I know that you can "retouch" photos
> after scanning them into the computer but this seems to involve
> coloring over the words to match the background which would take
> forever if the background colors are numerous and subtle. Is there
> any quick and easy way to do this? Thank you.

It sounds like what you have are photos that haven't been scanned in
yet, in which case, no. There's no way to remove the text from the
image other than retouching the image. Scanners just take another
"picture" of the picture - whatever's in the original picture is in the
scan. The computer doesn't know (or care) whether there's text in a
picture, all it sees is that there are so many differently-colored
pixels.

If you have bitmap images that are already on the computer, the only
way to remove words is if the images are in a file format that supports
layers _and_ the text is on a different layer than the rest of the
image. For example, if it is a native Photoshop file and the text is by
itself in the top layer, you can just delete the top layer and save the
file. If on the other hand you have a GIF or JPEG or BMP that you
downloaded somewhere, the only way to remove the text is to retouch the
image in a program such as Photoshop.

Photoshop does have a few tools that make retouching easier, like an
airbrush, a stamper, and smudge tools. I've seen people remove things
like telephone lines and cars from pictures and you can't even tell
there's something missing. But retouching is an art, and takes a little
practice.

Lisa Leone
Technical Writer, Gordian
http://www.gordian.com

1. Need help with choosing visualization hardware/software

Hi there!

I am in the process of selecting hardware and software for use in visualization
of geophysical data (climate data from various sources including satellite, GED
COADS, GCM output etc). I would like to hear from people who have used various
systems. My specific questions (after reading the FAQ) are:

     1. What hardware do you use? PC/mac/mainframe/workstation and as many
        specs. as you consider important.
     2. What software do you use? (eg. NCAR graphics) What Operating system
        does it run on? Is it public domain/free? If it is commercial software
        how much does it cost (ballpark figure will do)?
     3. What are your comments on the software you use? What do you feel are
        the strong/weak points of what you use?

I have access to PC's (386 with SVGA), IBM RS6000 (RISC), IBM 3081 (mainframe
with CMS o.s that has NCAR graphics ver. 3.1 and SAS), Convex C120 (unix o.s)
and they are(can) all (be) connected. So any suggestions on how to utilize
existing systems will be extremely helpful. Also, any comments on how I can
incorporate a CD ROM into this picture will be useful.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I am a grad student with oh maybe, a couple of thousand
dollars I could get my advisor to fork out.

I will post a summary if there is sufficient interest.

Thanks in advance.
krishna

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ Krishna Achuta Rao, Graduate Student, Mechanical Engg., Tulane University  +

2. Camera Match question

3. Help! Need to choose 3d software

4. New Bug in Povray or Breeze Designer?

5. Need recommendations for choosing a graphics software

6. Forging pictures.

7. Help in choosing MAC video software

8. Help me on choosing the right software

9. help with choosing an animation software

10. Need help choosing a primary animation app