Can't export finished iMovie to Camera (Canon Optura Pi)

Can't export finished iMovie to Camera (Canon Optura Pi)

Post by Gre » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:43:13

I can import video just fine, but when I try to EXPORT finished movies
to the Canon Optura Pi (which is listed on the Apple site as
compatible with iMovie), the camera gets ready and the tape starts
moving but no video comes through.  The camera display remains blue.
The progress bar for the export shows up in iMovie, but the bar never
moves and the program appears to freeze (I can move the cursor but
hitting CANCEL in the export progress bar does nothing.)  I've
searched Usenet archives and seen Firewire 2.4 touted as the answer to
other exporting problems, but I already have that installed.  I am
running OS 9.0 on a PowerTower Pro with a Sonnet G3/375 upgrade.

Any suggestions?

Post by Charles Marti » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 16:33:28

> I can import video just fine, but when I try to EXPORT finished movies
> to the Canon Optura Pi (which is listed on the Apple site as
> compatible with iMovie), the camera gets ready and the tape starts
> moving but no video comes through.  The camera display remains blue.
> The progress bar for the export shows up in iMovie, but the bar never
> moves and the program appears to freeze (I can move the cursor but
> hitting CANCEL in the export progress bar does nothing.)  I've
> searched Usenet archives and seen Firewire 2.4 touted as the answer to
> other exporting problems, but I already have that installed.  I am
> running OS 9.0 on a PowerTower Pro with a Sonnet G3/375 upgrade.

> Any suggestions?

The problem is almost certainly the fact that you have a third-party FW
card and not FW on the motherboard.

Try this:

1. Locate a friend with an iMac or G4 or any other recent Apple machine
with built-in FW.

2. Remove HD from your computer, put in external case if necessary and
transport to friend's machine.

3. Run iMovie and try to save back to camera.

If it works, there's your answer.
--
_Chas_
(non-spammers should use "chasm" at mac-dot-com instead of the email above!)

"Call me old-fashioned, but I want to read email with an email client, news with
a newsreader, and browse with a browser. A Swiss army knife is no substitute for
a toolbox." -- Kevin Craig, comp.sys.mac.apps

Post by lkjh » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 17:07:19

> > I can import video just fine, but when I try to EXPORT finished movies
> > to the Canon Optura Pi (which is listed on the Apple site as
> > compatible with iMovie), the camera gets ready and the tape starts
> > moving but no video comes through.  The camera display remains blue.
> > The progress bar for the export shows up in iMovie, but the bar never
> > moves and the program appears to freeze (I can move the cursor but
> > hitting CANCEL in the export progress bar does nothing.)  I've
> > searched Usenet archives and seen Firewire 2.4 touted as the answer to
> > other exporting problems, but I already have that installed.  I am
> > running OS 9.0 on a PowerTower Pro with a Sonnet G3/375 upgrade.

> > Any suggestions?

> The problem is almost certainly the fact that you have a third-party FW
> card and not FW on the motherboard.

> Try this:

> 1. Locate a friend with an iMac or G4 or any other recent Apple machine
> with built-in FW.

> 2. Remove HD from your computer, put in external case if necessary and
> transport to friend's machine.

> 3. Run iMovie and try to save back to camera.

> If it works, there's your answer.

Thanks for the tip, I will give this a try.

Post by Gre » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 11:28:39

> > I can import video just fine, but when I try to EXPORT finished movies
> > to the Canon Optura Pi (which is listed on the Apple site as
> > compatible with iMovie), the camera gets ready and the tape starts
> > moving but no video comes through.  The camera display remains blue.
> > The progress bar for the export shows up in iMovie, but the bar never
> > moves and the program appears to freeze (I can move the cursor but
> > hitting CANCEL in the export progress bar does nothing.)  I've
> > searched Usenet archives and seen Firewire 2.4 touted as the answer to
> > other exporting problems, but I already have that installed.  I am
> > running OS 9.0 on a PowerTower Pro with a Sonnet G3/375 upgrade.

> > Any suggestions?

> The problem is almost certainly the fact that you have a third-party FW
> card and not FW on the motherboard.

> Try this:

> 1. Locate a friend with an iMac or G4 or any other recent Apple machine
> with built-in FW.

> 2. Remove HD from your computer, put in external case if necessary and
> transport to friend's machine.

> 3. Run iMovie and try to save back to camera.

> If it works, there's your answer.

Thanks so much for the tip.  That was exactly the problem.  Everything
worked just fine on my boss's G4/400 tower.  I'm sure glad I was
already thinking of buying a new G4.  It would have been difficult to
deal with the fact that I NEED one for video export if I had not been
preparing to buy one anyway.

Post by Charles Marti » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 17:36:37

> > The problem is almost certainly the fact that you have a third-party FW
> > card and not FW on the motherboard.

> > Try this:

> > 1. Locate a friend with an iMac or G4 or any other recent Apple machine
> > with built-in FW.

> > 2. Remove HD from your computer, put in external case if necessary and
> > transport to friend's machine.

> > 3. Run iMovie and try to save back to camera.

> > If it works, there's your answer.

> Thanks so much for the tip.  That was exactly the problem.

Glad to help. Myself I'm having a very hard time deciding between a G4
tower and a new iMac ... do I really need PCI slots or not?? Arrrgh!
--
_Chas_
(non-spammers should use "chasm" at mac-dot-com instead of the email above!)

"Call me old-fashioned, but I want to read email with an email client, news with
a newsreader, and browse with a browser. A Swiss army knife is no substitute for
a toolbox." -- Kevin Craig, comp.sys.mac.apps

Can't export finished iMovie to Camera (Canon Optura Pi)

Post by Greg » Sat, 16 Feb 2002 14:50:24

I just got around to reading your follow-up post, and thought I would
give my $0.02 regarding PCI slots.  I got my Power Computing
PoewwerTower Pro 225 about 4 and 1/2 years ago.  I thought, COOL!  SIX
SCSI ports, SIX PCI slots, threee spare drive bays!  I'll be able to
upgrade this for the rest of my life without buying another computer!
Over the last four and 1/2 years, I had to replace the hard drive, the
floppy drive, and the CD-ROM.  I upgraded the processor to a G3 375.
And I added my VERY FIRST PCI card (for USB/Firewire) . . . about two
months ago when I got my digital camera.

Now I am ready to get a TI powerbook or maybe an iMac (as soon as I save
the money).  I am sick of upgrading and I run into problems all the
time.  I've actually come around to thinking Steve Jobs did the right
thing to get rid of the clones.  I'm really looking forward to having
everything integrated into one machine, all made to work together.

I do sympathize with your dilemma on the PCI slots to some extent.  With
me, the battles is between a TI powerbook and a new iMac.  For me the
thing is, "Do I have to have a DVD writer?"  I'm starting to do a lot of
movies now with the arrival of our first child.  I like that I can use
the powerbook anywhere in the house (I can be on the computer without
isolating myself from my spouse that way).  But that DVD writer in the
iMac . . . Of course, there is no viable third party option (that I know
of, anyway).  To use an external DVD writer with a powerbook I would
have to buy DVD Studio Pro for almost $1000.00!  You wouldn't know of a
way around that, would you?  (I refuse to buy a PC, even though all the
DVD writers come with free PC DVD burning software.)

Thanks again.

> > > The problem is almost certainly the fact that you have a third-party FW
> > > card and not FW on the motherboard.

> > > Try this:

> > > 1. Locate a friend with an iMac or G4 or any other recent Apple machine
> > > with built-in FW.

> > > 2. Remove HD from your computer, put in external case if necessary and
> > > transport to friend's machine.

> > > 3. Run iMovie and try to save back to camera.

> > > If it works, there's your answer.

> > Thanks so much for the tip.  That was exactly the problem.

> Glad to help. Myself I'm having a very hard time deciding between a G4
> tower and a new iMac ... do I really need PCI slots or not?? Arrrgh!

1. Canon Digital Cameras- Compare Latest Canon Digital Camera Prices

Buy canon digital camera online- compare reviews and buy best canon
digital cameras at very lowest price online, naaptol.com offers
facility to compare digital camera with expert reviews online: To know
more visit: http://www.naaptol.com/buy-online/WO-best-deals-shopping-W89O/cameras...

2. Animation File Formats

3. Attempting to connect Canon Optura DV camcorder

4. Bresenham Line + Anti-aliasing

5. iMovie playback/export problems

6. Designer tells me Freehand cant export!?!

7. Soft Gradient Metallic and Crystal Finishes in PI

8. Export video clip greyed-out in Finish step of VS4

9. FS:Canon Video Still Camera