DeluxePaint for MS-DOS/Linux/UNIX?

Post by P?r Linda » Sat, 19 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi all.

I have a big problem, which NO ONE has been able to help me with.

I am an ex- Amigaowner and also a graphician. On the Amiga I used
superb programs like DPaint 4 and Brilliance AGA. These are what
I call real pixel-painters. On the PC, however, I noticed that
there is almost NO Dpaint-alikes, except for DP2e -- the only
DPaint version for PC, but  this version is OLD, and it has very
few functions.

I also have programs like Photoshop 3, PaintShopPro, and so on,
but these just cannot compare with Brilliance. So, if ANY of
you have ANY information on what pixutils there are for any
PC-operating system (myself I run Linux and MS Windows 3.1, and DOS).

to this NG.

/ P?r Lindahl.

DeluxePaint for MS-DOS/Linux/UNIX?

Post by CiEB » Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I also have programs like Photoshop 3, PaintShopPro, and so on,

Try the demoversion of our brand new imaging software 'Photo Line'. It's
fully 32-Bit and runs therefore on Windows95 and NT.

You can get it from http://members.aol.com/CiEBV.

Gerhard

Post by Richard R. Adam » Fri, 25 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Hi all.

> I have a big problem, which NO ONE has been able to help me with.

> I am an ex- Amigaowner and also a graphician. On the Amiga I used
> superb programs like DPaint 4 and Brilliance AGA. These are what
> I call real pixel-painters. On the PC, however, I noticed that
> there is almost NO Dpaint-alikes, except for DP2e -- the only
> DPaint version for PC, but  this version is OLD, and it has very
> few functions.

> I also have programs like Photoshop 3, PaintShopPro, and so on,
> but these just cannot compare with Brilliance. So, if ANY of
> you have ANY information on what pixutils there are for any
> PC-operating system (myself I run Linux and MS Windows 3.1, and DOS).

> to this NG.

> / P?r Lindahl.

I too have noticed the lack of a very full featured and intuitive paint
program for either the MAC or PC compared to D-Paint And Brilliance. I
currently use Paint Shop PRO a shareware program on my PC. Jim Sachs a
buddy of mine knows the author of D-Paint and he is in the process of
porting it over to the PC, I can't wait! It is very frustrating trying
to do art on the PC platform, its almost like owning a Lamborghini and
then having to use an old Volkswagon to make a trip through the
mountains, one can get there but boy what a drag.

Ryk

Post by Ari » Mon, 28 Oct 1996 03:00:00

> > Hi all.

> > I have a big problem, which NO ONE has been able to help me with.

> > I am an ex- Amigaowner and also a graphician. On the Amiga I used
> > superb programs like DPaint 4 and Brilliance AGA. These are what
> > I call real pixel-painters. On the PC, however, I noticed that
> > there is almost NO Dpaint-alikes, except for DP2e -- the only
> > DPaint version for PC, but  this version is OLD, and it has very
> > few functions.

> > I also have programs like Photoshop 3, PaintShopPro, and so on,
> > but these just cannot compare with Brilliance. So, if ANY of
> > you have ANY information on what pixutils there are for any
> > PC-operating system (myself I run Linux and MS Windows 3.1, and DOS).

> > to this NG.

> > / P?r Lindahl.

> I too have noticed the lack of a very full featured and intuitive paint
> program for either the MAC or PC compared to D-Paint And Brilliance. I
> currently use Paint Shop PRO a shareware program on my PC. Jim Sachs a
> buddy of mine knows the author of D-Paint and he is in the process of
> porting it over to the PC, I can't wait! It is very frustrating trying
> to do art on the PC platform, its almost like owning a Lamborghini and
> then having to use an old Volkswagon to make a trip through the
> mountains, one can get there but boy what a drag.

> Ryk

Yes, I agree with this. I came from the Atari ST/Falcon platform after
leaving the MS-DOS world during the days of 4 color CGA games and 16
color Tandy 1000/PCjr modes...

Now the ST wasn't an Amiga but even so, it did have a significant amount
of quality graphics applications such as Dpaint and Crack-Art and
Neochrome Master, etc.

When I returned to the PC world, I found that the only tools I could do
anything with were Improces 4.2, a shareware editor and the MS-DOS
version of Deluxe Paint. Although somewhat spartan compared to the Amiga
version, there's no doubt that this softare can produce excellent
results in the hands of a skilled person.

If in doubt, check out many of the old Epic Megagames titles like Epic
Pinball which were created with this software or my own animated sprite
library, SpriteLib at http://www.walrus.com/~ari/

EA discontinued Dpaint for the PC but still sells it for $99 if you call
their 800 #.

Ari

Post by Frank McMaho » Wed, 30 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > > Hi all.

> > > I have a big problem, which NO ONE has been able to help me with.

> > > I also have programs like Photoshop 3, PaintShopPro, and so on,
> > > but these just cannot compare with Brilliance. So, if ANY of
> > > you have ANY information on what pixutils there are for any
> > I too have noticed the lack of a very full featured and intuitive paint
> > program for either the MAC or PC compared to D-Paint And Brilliance. I
> > currently use Paint Shop PRO a shareware program on my PC.

I find this conversation pretty odd, fondly remembering the days of 16
color hi-res, ham artifacting, no special effect filters, and bare bones
feature sets. DP was good in it's day (what else were we gonna use?) but
to say there is nothing out there like that on the PC? Take Painter 4
and a Wacom tablet for a spin and you'll really see painting (I wouldn't
consider Paint Shop Pro a "paint" program).

Not to knock the Amiga, I have been on 'em for 10+ years (half of those
years writing for Amazing Computing) and use Amigas daily at our studio
(http://www3.edgenet.net/wctv) but I don't regret selling my 4000 to
enter the PC world of Kai, Painter, Photoshop, Corel Photo Paint,
Expression, and Dabbler.

--
Frank McMahon
=============

MCMAHON AT THE MOVIES
http://members.aol.com/frankmcma/movies.htm

Home Page: http://ids.net/~frankmcmahon/home.htm

1. Image libraries for MS-Windows, Unix, and DOS?

Eyring is looking for image libraries for MS-Windows, Unix, MSDOS,
and possibly OS/2.

Requirements for the product (roughly prioritized):
1) A reasonable variety of image formats.  (At LEAST gif, tga, pcx, and
   bmp.)
2) Resizing and cropping.
3) Palette arbitration and quantization.  Image quality is important.
   Good dithering is a plus.  The ability to disable dithering would be
   nice, but not required.
4) Anti-aliasing for resizing.  Resizing will often be performed on line
   drawings, and line removal badly mangles the images.  The ability to
   disable anti-aliasing would be nice -- many images don't need it.
5) Image contrast and brightness control.

Please email any information you have regarding products that satisfy

--

2. CommandButton.SetFocus crash process.

3. image compressor for ms-dos and/or unix

4. Magic number for images (xwd, tiff, targa)

5. P.D. MS-DOS/Linux 3D Editor?

6. 3d Max by Kinetix

7. comp.unix.msdos comp.unix.i386 comp.os.lynx comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware

8. SUMMARY: 3D renderers for DOS / MS Windows / MS Windows NT

9. MS-DOS vs. IBM DOS, help wanted

10. NEED source code to display AVI, for MS DOS and MS/WINDOWS

11. JPEG Batch Conversion on Unix/DOS

12. Unix and DOS C Graphics libraries