Is the Indigo2, Extreme a good openGL machine?

Is the Indigo2, Extreme a good openGL machine?

Post by Joerg Ruecke » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00

I have the opportunity to trade my 8bit Indy,R4400SC150  for a Indigo2
with the same CPU, but with an extreme graphics board. So, my question
is : Is the extreme board good (means displaying and hardware
acceleration)  for OpenGL? I was told that the extreme is a great thing
for Iris GL but not in all ways for OpenGL
regards an thank You for Your Answers
    Joerg Ruecken

--
 Joerg Ruecken
 Myliusstr. 15

Post by Alexis Cousei » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00

> I have the opportunity to trade my 8bit Indy,R4400SC150  for a Indigo2
> with the same CPU, but with an extreme graphics board. So, my question
> is : Is the extreme board good (means displaying and hardware
> acceleration)  for OpenGL? I was told that the extreme is a great thing
> for Iris GL but not in all ways for OpenGL

Only if you compare with a native OpenGL board, aka Impact or
Reality/InfiniteReality.

`OpenGL', though, is so vast that we'd need many more qualifiers before we
can answer your question. Typically, it is just a much faster card than a
plain Indy graphics board that does most things in software (it's nothing
less than a double Indy XZ :) ).

Not that an O2 hasn't got an even more capable board (read: with more
features, like texturing support, and a larger frame buffer), though, so you
might not want to pay more than a fraction of an O2 price for the priviledge
--though if you want an Octane, the Indigo2 can probably be returned for a
credit on these, and that's going to be harder with an Indy ;).

--
Alexis Cousein                          Added to confuse the enemy:

1. Is the Indigo2, Extreme a good openGL machine?

I have the opportunity to trade my 8bit Indy,R4400SC150  for a Indigo2
with the same CPU, but with an extreme graphics board. So, my question
is : Is the extreme board good (means displaying and hardware
acceleration)  for OpenGL? I was told that the extreme is a great thing
for Iris GL but not in all ways for OpenGL
regards an thank You for Your Answers
    Joerg Ruecken

--
 Joerg Ruecken
 Myliusstr. 15
 26135 Oldenburg
 Tel. 0441 2489417

2. help on info source

3. OpenGL on an Indigo2 extreme

4. Satellite Image Processing: call for papers

5. FS: SGI Indigo2, 150Mhz, Extreme Graphics

6. Need help with particle simulation

7. FS: SGI Indigo2, 200Mhz, Extreme Graphics

8. Character Animation - Question

9. * * * Indigo2 Extreme, Softimage 4 Sale * * *

10. FS: SGI Indigo2, 200Mhz, Extreme Graphics

11. FS: SGI Indigo2, 150Mhz, Extreme Graphics

12. FS: SGI Indigo2 Extreme w/20"

13. SGI Indigo2, 150Mhz, Extreme Graphics