Performance of R5000 vs R4400

Post by JoelPilg » Thu, 13 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Has anyone done any 3D/rendering comparisons of performance of say, a
R4400 SC 150MHz versus the new R5000 SC 180MHz?

I can upgrade for only $2,000 which seems like a great deal. Can I expect
much of a performance boost?

Thanks in advance for help,

Joel Pilger
Visual Approach

Post by Paul Beard » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Has anyone done any 3D/rendering comparisons of performance of say, a
>R4400 SC 150MHz versus the new R5000 SC 180MHz?
>I can upgrade for only $2,000 which seems like a great deal. Can I expect
>much of a performance boost?

I do have a R5000 Indy on my desk at the moment and from experience
can tell you that is much faster at rendering using our own VR
visualisation application and OpenGL - it's not like an IMPACT but
pretty close to an EXtreme (actually, a little better on textures). In
my opinion, well worth the upgrade. The increase in speed on OpenGL
comes from the fact that the R5000 can do multiplies and divides much
faster and OpenGl has an awful lot of them.

Paul B.

Post by Hilton Goldstei » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> >Has anyone done any 3D/rendering comparisons of performance of say, a
> >R4400 SC 150MHz versus the new R5000 SC 180MHz?

> >I can upgrade for only $2,000 which seems like a great deal. Can I expect
> >much of a performance boost?

> I do have a R5000 Indy on my desk at the moment and from experience
> can tell you that is much faster at rendering using our own VR
> visualisation application and OpenGL - it's not like an IMPACT but
> pretty close to an EXtreme (actually, a little better on textures). In
> my opinion, well worth the upgrade. The increase in speed on OpenGL
> comes from the fact that the R5000 can do multiplies and divides much
> faster and OpenGl has an awful lot of them.

OpenGL has been optimized to make full use of the MADD instruction which
is clearly beneficial when doing matrix multiplies.

Hilton

--

415-933-5254 (phone).....................(fax) 415-390-6159
M/S 1L-945, 2011 N. Shoreline Blvd, Mountain View, CA 94043

            "No Bob, Windows 95 hasn't crashed,
      it's just gone on a pre-emptive strike!" - Hilton

Post by Gianpaolo Tomma » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00

|> > I do have a R5000 Indy on my desk at the moment and from experience
|> > can tell you that is much faster at rendering using our own VR
|> > visualisation application and OpenGL - it's not like an IMPACT but
|> > pretty close to an EXtreme (actually, a little better on textures). In
|> > my opinion, well worth the upgrade. The increase in speed on OpenGL
|> > comes from the fact that the R5000 can do multiplies and divides much
|> > faster and OpenGl has an awful lot of them.
|>
|> OpenGL has been optimized to make full use of the MADD instruction which
|> is clearly beneficial when doing matrix multiplies.

The MADD instruction certainly helps a great deal, however it not the only thing
that makes the R5000 a better CPU than the R4400 at performing floating point
operations.  In particular, the R5000 has:
- shorter latencies for floating point instructions
- a fully pipelined fp unit (floating point instructions can be issued every
  cycle, except for div and sqrt)
- the ability to dual issue a floating point and an integer instruction
  every cycle
- support for the MIPS 4 instruction set (madd, conditional moves, multiple
  condition codes)

All of these features are used extensively in the Indy/R5000 OpenGL
implementation.

Performance improvements are hard to determine without knowing exactly what one
is trying to do.  Depending on the rendering primitives and the rendering modes
we see improvements from 50% to 100% over an R4400 at the same clock speed.

                                Gianpaolo Tommasi

1. R4400 vs R5000

Hi,

Has anyone done any performance tests on a R4400 and R5000 system
running Alias? I just ordered a R5000 system. They told me that the
R5000 150 mHz is about as fast as a R4400 at 200mHz.

What is the difference between the R10000 and the 5000 anyway?

(a new Alias user)
-David Hofmann

http://www.presair.com/usr/dhofmann/

2. Looking for PICT to DXF utility

3. R5000 AND R4400 (irix 5.3)

4. Cerco informazioni e test schede 3dLabs vx1/gvx1

5. Alias + r5000 Indy or Impact r4400 ???

6. GKS

7. Performance Animation Recorder, Amiga vs PC vs Mac

8. How to order ANU Graph

9. Mac performance 601 vs 604?

10. VPro V6/V8 performance vs MXE

11. OpenGL line vs. quad performance problem

12. Price/Performance info on SGI vs Competition?