Minimized window icon in 4Dwm

Post by Mr Qua » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 07:18:33

Hi.

Is there a way to change the minimized window icon with 4dwm ?

I would like to set different icons to different windows but cant seem to find
a place where I could do it.

Best regards and a happy new year,

Quak

Post by Walter Robers » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 09:22:51

:Is there a way to change the minimized window icon with 4dwm ?

:I would like to set different icons to different windows but cant seem
:to find a place where I could do it.

You can change the icon title of an active icon, in narrow circumstances.

You can change the icon title of an xwsh session by sending an
string of characters to the pty (pseudoterminal) of the xwsh session.
The sequence to change the icon title is,

  <ESC>P3.y<title><ESC>\

where <ESC> is the ESCAPE character (decimal 27), and <title> is the title
you want. It looks like this on my screen:

  echo '^[P3.yhello^[\'

The window title can be changed instead of the icon title by using 13
instead of 3:

  echo '^[P3.ynew window title^[\'

Post by Antonio Bleil » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 09:39:57

> Hi.

> Is there a way to change the minimized window icon with 4dwm ?

> I would like to set different icons to different windows but cant seem to find
> a place where I could do it.

> Best regards and a happy new year,

> Quak

Hi Quak,

take a look at:

http://techpubs.sgi.com:80/library/dynaweb_bin/ebt-bin/0650/nph-infos...

Hope that helps.

Regards,

    Toni

Minimized window icon in 4Dwm

Post by Antonio Bleil » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 10:00:05

Hi,

Quote:> http://techpubs.sgi.com:80/library/dynaweb_bin/ebt-bin/0650/nph-infos...

is quite useless, sorry :-(

Check out this one instead:

http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/dynaweb_bin/ebt-bin/0650/nph-infosrch...

Bye,

    Toni

Post by Tony Kavadia » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 10:04:25

> Hi.

> Is there a way to change the minimized window icon with 4dwm ?

> I would like to set different icons to different windows but cant seem to find
> a place where I could do it.

> Best regards and a happy new year,

> Quak

Often, the icon is built into the application binary, but if
the application uses libraries of images to display in minimised
windows, you could replace these (if you can find them).

But it all depends on how the application is built.

    SGI Australia, Pty. Ltd.                 Phone: +61 3 9834 8200x234
    357 Camberwell Road, Camberwell, VIC, 3124.

Post by Antonio Bleil » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 11:43:01

> > Hi.

> > Is there a way to change the minimized window icon with 4dwm ?

> > I would like to set different icons to different windows but cant seem to find
> > a place where I could do it.

> > Best regards and a happy new year,

> > Quak

> Often, the icon is built into the application binary, but if
> the application uses libraries of images to display in minimised
> windows, you could replace these (if you can find them).

> But it all depends on how the application is built.

???

1. design an icon.
2. save it as "the_name_of_my_application_binary.icon"
3. copy it to /usr/lib/images

Wouldn't that work ? But maybe Mr. Quak wants to have different icons
for the different subwindows of his application.... (?)

Regards,

    Toni

Minimized window icon in 4Dwm

Post by Mr Qua » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 19:54:01

Quote:

>Hi,

>>http://techpubs.sgi.com:80/library/dynaweb_bin/ebt-bin/0650/nph-infos...

>is quite useless, sorry :-(

>Check out this one instead:

>http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/dynaweb_bin/ebt-bin/0650/nph-infosrch...

>Bye,

>    Toni

Hi Tony,

This is exactly what I was looking for ! Thank you very much

Quak

Post by Spin the We » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 05:27:52

> Hi.

> Is there a way to change the minimized window icon with 4dwm ?

> I would like to set different icons to different windows but cant seem to find
> a place where I could do it.

> Best regards and a happy new year,

> Quak

Some applications will use an RGB image from within ~/.icons if you name
it application.icon

Just discovered this while reading this thread.

:)

]    Spin the Web, Inc.   [ http://www.spintheweb.com   ]

]  Denver, Colorado 80202 [      (303)534-0110          ]

Post by Kevin Smit » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 05:27:17

> > > Hi.

> > > Is there a way to change the minimized window icon with 4dwm ?

> > > I would like to set different icons to different windows but cant seem to find
> > > a place where I could do it.

> > > Best regards and a happy new year,

> > > Quak

> > Often, the icon is built into the application binary, but if
> > the application uses libraries of images to display in minimised
> > windows, you could replace these (if you can find them).

> > But it all depends on how the application is built.

> ???

> 1. design an icon.
> 2. save it as "the_name_of_my_application_binary.icon"
> 3. copy it to /usr/lib/images

> Wouldn't that work ? But maybe Mr. Quak wants to have different icons
> for the different subwindows of his application.... (?)

I think that it's not the name of the app, but the 4dwm instance name of the
window. Maya wants an icon named "Maya.icon", not "maya.icon". Some apps
it either doesn't work at all, or I just haven't tried the right name. For
a shell just use the '-name' option

--

"..God give me unclouded eyes and freedom from haste. God give
 me quiet and relentless anger against all pretense and all

                -- Sinclair Lewis, Scientist's Creed

Minimized window icon in 4Dwm

Post by Antonio Bleil » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 06:12:38

Quote:> > 1. design an icon.
> > 2. save it as "the_name_of_my_application_binary.icon"
> > 3. copy it to /usr/lib/images

> > Wouldn't that work ? But maybe Mr. Quak wants to have different icons
> > for the different subwindows of his application.... (?)

> I think that it's not the name of the app, but the 4dwm instance name of the
> window. Maya wants an icon named "Maya.icon", not "maya.icon". Some apps
> it either doesn't work at all, or I just haven't tried the right name. For
> a shell just use the '-name' option

Right, it's not the name of the app.... :-( Use "xprop" and look for the
WM_CLASS property... (As described on the link i posted in this thread).

Regards,

    Toni

1. Setting the ICON for a minimized window

How do you set the ICON file for a GL window within GL.  I
understand that there is a way to do it in X, but I do not
relish that idea. (Unless it is relatively painless and
I get example code.)  I have the .RGB image file in the
correct icon size ofr the program.  I set icontitle() and
iconsize() correctly, but the default image file appears
in the minimized window. (or the actual application).
--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Lance R. Marrou

2. Combine Objects into one object??

3. 4DWm: icon locations

4. The 21st Graphic Designer

5. Video For Windows problem - Minimized window

6. mesa and linux

7. Minimized icons move after min/max in PS5

8. Human Interface Designer, 3D Graphics - US-CA-SF BAYAREA

9. Icon instead caption bar for minimized MDI child

10. Minimized icon

11. icon missing on minimize form!

12. Window Manger (4Dwm) - no frame

13. Suppressing window decoration with 4DWm