PI Graphics Board Help

Post by Harry Konto » Tue, 03 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello, a while ago I was after a way to upgrade my Personal Iris 4D/20
from its current 8-bit graphics, GR1.2 (Entry Graphics) to 24-bits or
24-bits + Zbuffer. A fellow from the newsgroups has the following boards
for sale:

030-8003-001  BP4  Bit Plane Board (HU-4D20G2)
030-8004-003  ZB3  Z-Buffer Board
030-8031-001  GR1.5  Graphics Board

These specs he got from http://www.mce.com. Can someone here on this
group tell me if any or which combination of these boards will suit my
upgrade requirements? If yes, what, briefly is the procedure for
installation of such board(s)?

Thanks in advance, Harry.

PI Graphics Board Help

Post by Walter Robers » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

:Hello, a while ago I was after a way to upgrade my Personal Iris 4D/20
:from its current 8-bit graphics, GR1.2 (Entry Graphics) to 24-bits or
:24-bits + Zbuffer. A fellow from the newsgroups has the following boards
:for sale:
:030-8003-001  BP4  Bit Plane Board (HU-4D20G2)
:030-8004-003  ZB3  Z-Buffer Board
:030-8031-001  GR1.5  Graphics Board
:These specs he got from http://www.mce.com. Can someone here on this
:group tell me if any or which combination of these boards will suit my
:upgrade requirements?

The GR1.5 has a 14 pin video connector in addition to the BNCs. You
don't need to go to the GR1.5 to do 24 bits.

The ZB3 connects to jumper J10. The BP4 connects to jumpers J8 and J9.

Adding the ZB3 and BP4 to your GR1.2 will get you 24 bits + Z.

You could also add the GT1 or add the GT1 and GT2 to get faster graphics.

:If yes, what, briefly is the procedure for
:installation of such board(s)?

You have to take the left side skin off (that's the one with the power
cord through it), unscrew the screws holding the metal sheets in place,
unscrew any VME card you have installed, perhaps unscrew the CPU card
(I can't remember if it is above or below the graphics), unscrew the
screws holding the graphics boards in, slide it out, make your changes,
put everything back together. It's a little bit of a nuisance, but not
really so bad if you don't strip any of the screws. You will need a fair
sized floor or bench area to hold it all during disassembly. And anti-
static protections of course.

PI Graphics Board Help

Post by skywri.. » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> :Hello, a while ago I was after a way to upgrade my Personal Iris
4D/20
> :from its current 8-bit graphics, GR1.2 (Entry Graphics) to 24-bits or
> :24-bits + Zbuffer. A fellow from the newsgroups has the following
boards
> :for sale:
> :030-8003-001  BP4  Bit Plane Board (HU-4D20G2)
> :030-8004-003  ZB3  Z-Buffer Board
> :030-8031-001  GR1.5  Graphics Board
> :These specs he got from http://www.mce.com. Can someone here on this
> :group tell me if any or which combination of these boards will suit
my
> :upgrade requirements?

> The GR1.5 has a 14 pin video connector in addition to the BNCs. You
> don't need to go to the GR1.5 to do 24 bits.

> The ZB3 connects to jumper J10. The BP4 connects to jumpers J8 and J9.

> Adding the ZB3 and BP4 to your GR1.2 will get you 24 bits + Z.

> You could also add the GT1 or add the GT1 and GT2 to get faster
graphics.

> :If yes, what, briefly is the procedure for
> :installation of such board(s)?

Please see:
http://reputable.com/~skywriter/pi/index.html

for a partial disassembly. Note however, that the graphics
cards are not accessed via the processor side of the EMOD
but in the back behind a seperate access plate.

Quote:

> You have to take the left side skin off (that's the one with the power
> cord through it), unscrew the screws holding the metal sheets in
place,
> unscrew any VME card you have installed, perhaps unscrew the CPU card
> (I can't remember if it is above or below the graphics), unscrew the
> screws holding the graphics boards in, slide it out, make your
changes,
> put everything back together. It's a little bit of a nuisance, but not
> really so bad if you don't strip any of the screws. You will need a
fair
> sized floor or bench area to hold it all during disassembly. And anti-
> static protections of course.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

PI Graphics Board Help

Post by Harry Konto » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Thankyou Walter, sounds doable to me. A couple of questions though...jumpers
J8, J9 and J10, where are they, on the GR1.2 or on the mainboard? If I get
the GR1.5 as part of the deal, does it have different setup requirements for
use with ZB3 and BP4 than my existing GR1.2?

> The GR1.5 has a 14 pin video connector in addition to the BNCs. You
> don't need to go to the GR1.5 to do 24 bits.
> The ZB3 connects to jumper J10. The BP4 connects to jumpers J8 and J9.
> Adding the ZB3 and BP4 to your GR1.2 will get you 24 bits + Z.
> You could also add the GT1 or add the GT1 and GT2 to get faster graphics.

My contact does not have any GT boards on offer.

Quote:> ... what, briefly is the procedure for installation of such board(s)?

> You have to take the left side skin off (that's the one with the power
> cord through it), unscrew the screws holding the metal sheets in place,
> unscrew any VME card you have installed, perhaps unscrew the CPU card
> (I can't remember if it is above or below the graphics), unscrew the
> screws holding the graphics boards in, slide it out, make your changes,
> put everything back together. It's a little bit of a nuisance, but not
> really so bad if you don't strip any of the screws. You will need a fair
> sized floor or bench area to hold it all during disassembly. And anti-
> static protections of course.

Thanks again, sounds simple enough but no doubt in practice I will have to
resort to this group's expertise. Cheers. Harry

PI Graphics Board Help

Post by Walter Robers » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

:Thankyou Walter, sounds doable to me. A couple of questions though...jumpers
:J8, J9 and J10, where are they, on the GR1.2 or on the mainboard?

They are on the GR1.2 or GR1.5.

:If I get
:the GR1.5 as part of the deal, does it have different setup requirements for
:use with ZB3 and BP4 than my existing GR1.2?

My reference books indicate that the 14 pin video connector is the only
significant difference between the GR1.2 and GR1.5. The layout and setup
of them would be the same. Unless you have a use for 14 pin video
(and notice that's -14- pin, not the usual 15 of a D-Sub connector), you
might as well save your money (unless you want to think of the second board
as a spare part that might be hard to find later.)

PI Graphics Board Help

Post by Tom G. Christense » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> My reference books indicate that the 14 pin video connector is the only
> significant difference between the GR1.2 and GR1.5. The layout and setup
> of them would be the same. Unless you have a use for 14 pin video

I've got a 4D/30 with a GR1.5 board (+BP4+ZB3) that I hooked up to a
standard 15" multisync monitor (ADI 4v) using that port (labelled
"composite")
No special cables were needed, a standard PC monitor cable with a DB-15
connector is all that's required.
I'm actually thinking about ditching that old Hitachi 20" monster that
came with it, and just use a *much* smaller 15" monitor ;)

-tgc

--
Tom G. Christensen - IT-Sektionen
Statsbiblioteket - Universitetsparken - 8000 ?rhus C