hi

Post by Sean » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 00:40:32

zzl wrote

Quote:> hi
> http://xjzx.2928.net
> go on
> thanks

This site is in Chinese

Why should anyone who cannot read Chinese visit it????

zzl? should be z-z-z-as in snooze!!!

---

hi

Post by John C. Danielson, I » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 01:23:48

Not only that, but it pokes a temp file that is virus infected. Will let you
know what virus when I get rid of it. EVERYONE, stay AWAY from this SITE!

--
A reply to:

will definitely get answered, I just changed ISPs so other addresses might
error..

Quote:

> zzl wrote
> > hi
> > http://xjzx.2928.net
> > go on
> > thanks

> This site is in Chinese

> Why should anyone who cannot read Chinese visit it????

> zzl? should be z-z-z-as in snooze!!!

> --

> ---

hi

Post by John C. Danielson, I » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 01:33:46

Not only that, but it tries to poke a temp file that is virus infected. Will
let you
know what virus when I get rid of it. EVERYONE, stay AWAY from this SITE!

Addendum:
The virus is a newer one, called JS.Exception.Exploit by Symantec. My Norton
Antivirus blocked it's download into my machine. Will let you know about
behavior after I do a lookup, and if there is a fixer or online scanner that
fixes it, will post a link.

The file name it was encapsulated in was ls{1}.htm, and it tried to end up
in a subdirectory of the directory c:\windows\Content.IE5\

--
A reply to:

will definitely get answered, I just changed ISPs so other addresses might
error..

Quote:

> zzl wrote
> > hi
> > http://xjzx.2928.net
> > go on
> > thanks

> This site is in Chinese

> Why should anyone who cannot read Chinese visit it????

> zzl? should be z-z-z-as in snooze!!!

> --

> ---

hi

Post by John C. Danielson, I » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 03:15:17

It is a Trojan, and most of the sources I had time to look in had no idea of
what it did. Essentially, the permanent fix is:

Upgrade your Java VM to build 3802.
Anyone with Windows 2000, the fix is in Service Pack 2.
Anyone with Windows 95 or 98 or Me, you can download it separately, but I
would do it at http://www.microsoft.com/download/ and make sure you get the
release for your particular windows.

This fix closes an opening in the Virtual Machine that would essentially let
ANYONE put code on a machine and then play using the virtual machine or use
the <applet> tag to call code piggybacked in this kind of Trojan container.
Symantec says code which would trigger a mass mailing is one such known
thing from this.

For more info, visit http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ and use
JS.Exception.Exploit as a search term. The above is a summary\digest of what
I found on TechNet following the linking among their security bulletins.

Please do NOT delete your Temporary Internet Files folder, this will cause
browser havoc.

--
A reply to:

will definitely get answered, I just changed ISPs so other addresses might
error..

> Not only that, but it tries to poke a temp file that is virus infected.
Will
> let you
> know what virus when I get rid of it. EVERYONE, stay AWAY from this SITE!

> Addendum:
> The virus is a newer one, called JS.Exception.Exploit by Symantec. My
Norton
> Antivirus blocked it's download into my machine. Will let you know about
> behavior after I do a lookup, and if there is a fixer or online scanner
that
> fixes it, will post a link.

> The file name it was encapsulated in was ls{1}.htm, and it tried to end up
> in a subdirectory of the directory c:\windows\Content.IE5\

> --
> A reply to:

> will definitely get answered, I just changed ISPs so other addresses might
> error..

> > zzl wrote
> > > hi
> > > http://xjzx.2928.net
> > > go on
> > > thanks

> > This site is in Chinese

> > Why should anyone who cannot read Chinese visit it????

> > zzl? should be z-z-z-as in snooze!!!

> > --

> > ---

hi

Post by Fugitiv » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 05:07:41

But what do we do about the little bastard that tried to give it to
us?

greg

On Tue, 04 Sep 2001 18:15:17 GMT, "John C. Danielson, II"

>It is a Trojan, and most of the sources I had time to look in had no idea of
>what it did. Essentially, the permanent fix is:

>Upgrade your Java VM to build 3802.
>Anyone with Windows 2000, the fix is in Service Pack 2.
>Anyone with Windows 95 or 98 or Me, you can download it separately, but I
>would do it at http://www.microsoft.com/download/ and make sure you get the
>release for your particular windows.

>This fix closes an opening in the Virtual Machine that would essentially let
>ANYONE put code on a machine and then play using the virtual machine or use
>the <applet> tag to call code piggybacked in this kind of Trojan container.
>Symantec says code which would trigger a mass mailing is one such known
>thing from this.

>For more info, visit http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ and use
>JS.Exception.Exploit as a search term. The above is a summary\digest of what
>I found on TechNet following the linking among their security bulletins.

>Please do NOT delete your Temporary Internet Files folder, this will cause
>browser havoc.

http://www.photoloft.com/view/Album.asp?s=jasc&a=1061143&u=1487314

hi

Post by Tvveet » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 06:34:13

John,
Thanks for warning the group.  Newbies often think that any link in a
newsgroup is safe to click on, they're exploring new territory.  This is a
good warning to keep those anti-virus progs updated.  I use Norton's myself
and love it.

> It is a Trojan, and most of the sources I had time to look in had no idea
of
> what it did. Essentially, the permanent fix is:

> Upgrade your Java VM to build 3802.
> Anyone with Windows 2000, the fix is in Service Pack 2.
> Anyone with Windows 95 or 98 or Me, you can download it separately, but I
> would do it at http://www.microsoft.com/download/ and make sure you get
the
> release for your particular windows.

> This fix closes an opening in the Virtual Machine that would essentially
let
> ANYONE put code on a machine and then play using the virtual machine or
use
> the <applet> tag to call code piggybacked in this kind of Trojan
container.
> Symantec says code which would trigger a mass mailing is one such known
> thing from this.

> For more info, visit http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ and use
> JS.Exception.Exploit as a search term. The above is a summary\digest of
what
> I found on TechNet following the linking among their security bulletins.

> Please do NOT delete your Temporary Internet Files folder, this will cause
> browser havoc.

> --
> A reply to:

> will definitely get answered, I just changed ISPs so other addresses might
> error..

> > Not only that, but it tries to poke a temp file that is virus infected.
> Will
> > let you
> > know what virus when I get rid of it. EVERYONE, stay AWAY from this
SITE!

> > Addendum:
> > The virus is a newer one, called JS.Exception.Exploit by Symantec. My
> Norton
> > Antivirus blocked it's download into my machine. Will let you know about
> > behavior after I do a lookup, and if there is a fixer or online scanner
> that
> > fixes it, will post a link.

> > The file name it was encapsulated in was ls{1}.htm, and it tried to end
up
> > in a subdirectory of the directory c:\windows\Content.IE5\

> > --
> > A reply to:

> > will definitely get answered, I just changed ISPs so other addresses
might
> > error..

> > > zzl wrote

> > > This site is in Chinese

> > > Why should anyone who cannot read Chinese visit it????

> > > zzl? should be z-z-z-as in snooze!!!

> > > --

> > > ---

hi

Post by Rick Simo » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 07:55:15

Quote:> But what do we do about the little bastard that tried to give it to
> us?

 Probably not much we _can_ do, Greg. The posting was sent from:

descr                CHINANET Hunan province network
descr                China Telecom
descr                A12,Xin-Jie-Kou-Wai Street
descr                Beijing 100088
country              CN

source               APNIC

person               Yali Xiao, inverse
address              Hunan Data Communication Bureau No.9 middle wuyi
road   ChangSha city,Hunan ,P.R.China 410011
country              CN
phone                +86-731-2260079
fax-no               +86-731-2265549

nic-hdl              YX69-AP, inverse
mnt-by               MAINT-CHINANET-HUNAN, inverse

source               APNIC

 While you can send complaints to the above email addresses, it's
somewhat doubtful that much will be done. Historically, the admins in
the PRC have had their hands full trying to comply with their own
governments ever changing rules and regulations, along with the more
serious attacks on their own systems. They've seemed to have little time
(or inclination?) to track down nuisance posters like this.

--
Rick Simon

hi

Post by Brian Toze » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 10:16:33

Quote:> Upgrade your Java VM to build 3802.
> Anyone with Windows 2000, the fix is in Service Pack 2.
> Anyone with Windows 95 or 98 or Me, you can download it separately, but I
> would do it at http://www.microsoft.com/download/ and make sure you get
the
> release for your particular windows.

Is anyone able to access this address?
I can't.

Brian Tozer

hi

Post by Rick Simo » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 11:21:10

>> Upgrade your Java VM to build 3802.
>> Anyone with Windows 2000, the fix is in Service Pack 2.
>> Anyone with Windows 95 or 98 or Me, you can download it
>> separately, but I would do it at
>> http://www.microsoft.com/download/ and make sure you get the
>> release for your particular windows.

> Is anyone able to access this address?
> I can't.

 Doesn't seem to be a valid link any more, though I believe it was at
one time. If you're running Win95, 98(SE) or ME and using Internet
Explorer, I recommend going to:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

 It's probably a good idea to download and install all of the various
security patches, critical updates and recommended updates that you find
listed there. If I recall correctly, the updated JVM is usually found
here as well. You also may want to consider visiting it once every month
or so, to check for new updates.

--
Rick Simon

hi

Post by Fugitiv » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 13:17:46

You mean that there are people in China that have nothing better to
do, than go around screwing with people's puters instead of making a
living doing something, just like here. I can't beleive it, PRC, well,
they already have more than they can handle, and it's bound to get
worse. Wait till they get a load of free press.

>> But what do we do about the little bastard that tried to give it to
>> us?

> Probably not much we _can_ do, Greg. The posting was sent from:

>descr                CHINANET Hunan province network
>descr                China Telecom
>descr                A12,Xin-Jie-Kou-Wai Street
>descr                Beijing 100088
>country              CN

>source               APNIC

>person               Yali Xiao, inverse
>address              Hunan Data Communication Bureau No.9 middle wuyi
>road   ChangSha city,Hunan ,P.R.China 410011
>country              CN
>phone                +86-731-2260079
>fax-no               +86-731-2265549

>nic-hdl              YX69-AP, inverse
>mnt-by               MAINT-CHINANET-HUNAN, inverse

>source               APNIC

> While you can send complaints to the above email addresses, it's
>somewhat doubtful that much will be done. Historically, the admins in
>the PRC have had their hands full trying to comply with their own
>governments ever changing rules and regulations, along with the more
>serious attacks on their own systems. They've seemed to have little time
>(or inclination?) to track down nuisance posters like this.

http://www.photoloft.com/view/Album.asp?s=jasc&a=1061143&u=1487314

hi

Post by Fugitiv » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 13:37:22

See, just like I always say about very large companies. They don't
really care if you get help or not. My puter is an HP, and I can't
even get a schematic for it from them.
Re the d/l, I used my McAfee update to battle the Chinese, is that not
enough?

greg

>>> Upgrade your Java VM to build 3802.
>>> Anyone with Windows 2000, the fix is in Service Pack 2.
>>> Anyone with Windows 95 or 98 or Me, you can download it
>>> separately, but I would do it at
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/download/ and make sure you get the
>>> release for your particular windows.

>> Is anyone able to access this address?
>> I can't.

> Doesn't seem to be a valid link any more, though I believe it was at
>one time. If you're running Win95, 98(SE) or ME and using Internet
>Explorer, I recommend going to:

>http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

> It's probably a good idea to download and install all of the various
>security patches, critical updates and recommended updates that you find
>listed there. If I recall correctly, the updated JVM is usually found
>here as well. You also may want to consider visiting it once every month
>or so, to check for new updates.

http://www.photoloft.com/view/Album.asp?s=jasc&a=1061143&u=1487314

hi

Post by John C. Danielson, I » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 22:21:23

Yeah, I had to go into the logging to find out what the heck it was, I have
my log in append mode and can trace anything NAV ever did. but, knowing we
had lurkers and the curious, I figured would see what I could  do...:)

--
> [...]

> > > know what virus when I get rid of it. EVERYONE, stay AWAY from this
> SITE!

> > > Addendum:
> > > The virus is a newer one, called JS.Exception.Exploit by Symantec. My
> > Norton
> > > Antivirus blocked it's download into my machine. Will let you know
about
> > > behavior after I do a lookup, and if there is a fixer or online
scanner
> > that
> > > fixes it, will post a link.

> > > The file name it was encapsulated in was ls{1}.htm, and it tried to
end
> up
> > > in a subdirectory of the directory c:\windows\Content.IE5\

> > > --
> > > A reply to:

> > > will definitely get answered, I just changed ISPs so other addresses

1. need vector, or hi res drawing of a Blue and Gold McCaw

everthing I've found in searches are either too small, or a proprietary
photo.

I've got a fast link, if you'd just like to email the image.

thanks

2. HELP WITH 3DS4 with >LOC FILE

3. Need hi-res graphics/menu/mouse library for DOS, C/C++

4. project

5. Looking for hi-speed UNIX-based GIF generation

6. human and monster textures