Tom Gaskins Pexlib vs Phigs Programming Manuals (O'Reilly)

Tom Gaskins Pexlib vs Phigs Programming Manuals (O'Reilly)

Post by merl » Sun, 25 Apr 1993 18:42:44

Could someone explain the difference between Tom Gaskins' two books:

  o  PEXLIB Programming Manual
  o  PHIGS Programming Manual

Why would I want to buy one book vs the other book?  I have an 80386
running SCO UNIX (X11R4) on my desktop, a SUN IV/360 in my lab, and
access to a variety of other systems (Alliant FX/2800, Cray Y/MP) on
the network.  Mostly, we would like to do 3D modeling/visualization
of rat, rabbit, monkey, and human brain structure.

Thanks, AJ

Alexander-James Annala
Principal Investigator
Neuroscience Image Analysis Network
HEDCO Neuroscience Building, Fifth Floor
University of Southern California
University Park
Los Angeles, CA 90089-2520

Post by Ralph M » Tue, 27 Apr 1993 02:20:11

>Could someone explain the difference between Tom Gaskins' two books:
>  o  PEXLIB Programming Manual
>  o  PHIGS Programming Manual
>Why would I want to buy one book vs the other book?  I have an 80386
>running SCO UNIX (X11R4) on my desktop, a SUN IV/360 in my lab, and
>access to a variety of other systems (Alliant FX/2800, Cray Y/MP) on
>the network.  Mostly, we would like to do 3D modeling/visualization
>of rat, rabbit, monkey, and human brain structure.

Rather than decide which book you want to buy, you need to decide which
programming interface you want to use, then buy the appropriate book.

I wrote an article for the X Resource which discusses the differences
between PHIGS and PEXlib (it will appear in Issue 6 which should be out
pretty soon).  But here's a brief summary...

PHIGS is a graphics API which was designed to be portable to many
devices.  Most implementations support the X Window System and take
advantage of a 3D extension to X called "PEX".  PEXlib is a slightly
"lower" level API which was designed to efficiently support the PEX
extension to X.

Some advantages of using PEXlib...
- Integrates with Xlib,Xt,Motif,etc. better than PHIGS
- Provides immediate mode capabilities
- Is free of "policy"
- PEX supports PHIGS, but is currently being extended to support
  features not found in PHIGS (like texture mapping, anti-aliasing).
  PEXlib will give you access to all of these features.

Some advantages of using PHIGS...
- Support for multiple devices, not just X based ones
- Support for archiving, metafiles, hardcopy output
- PHIGS has predefined input devices to make input easier
- PHIGS can handle exposure events and resizing for you
- PHIGS can help you with colormap selection/creation.

If you're working strictly in X and don't care about things like
archiving, I would go with PEXlib.  Either way, you will find that
both API's have a lot in common.

Ralph Mor
MIT X Consortium

Post by Roland Holzapf » Sat, 01 May 1993 18:50:27

|> Could someone explain the difference between Tom Gaskins' two books:
|>
|>   o  PEXLIB Programming Manual
|>   o  PHIGS Programming Manual
|>
|> Why would I want to buy one book vs the other book?  I have an 80386

PEXLIB and PHIGS (as it comes from MIT with PEX and as is explained in the
PHIGS Programming Manual) are just different API's for the PEX protocol,
which is an extension to the X protocol.

So it depends on You, what you go to use.

Advantage of Phigs is the protability to other platforms (IBM GraPhigs,
SunPhigs) and the standardized structuring of the 3D objects.

Advantage of PEXlib is the sometimes faster and easier programming for
immediate mode graphics, because PEX is not an exactly mapping of Phigs
to a Prortocol.

--
       \|/
      (o o)

   //   6100 Darmstadt          Center      phone:                  \\
  //    Germany                 (ZGDV)        ++49 6151 155150       \\
  >>             This space intentionally left blank                 <<

1. ? on phigs book by O'reilly

Hi,

My question is about PEX,PEX-SI and phigs and the sample programs in the book
"PHIGS PROGRAMMING MANUAL".
As I know PEX is the phigs extension to the X window system
and PEX-SI is a phigs implementation come along with the X11R5 distribution.
Is there any formal documentation about PEX-SI which phigs or phigs plus functio
n it support and any other additional function it supports.
Or, in fact,there are many different PEX-SI which is depends on your platform an
d display hardware.
Moreover,when I want to write phigs programs,I only need to include phigs/phigs.
h and link the library libphigs.a.
What is the usage of the *.h files under the PEX5 directory and the libraries
libPEX5.a  libPEX5.so  libPEX5.so.1.0.
I got some problem in running the sample programs.
For examples, when I run the program concepts/billions.c, the phigs workstation
has nothing except a white background. It seems that the odd-winding rule for bu
ilding the border doesn't work properly.
Otherwise, the program rendering/sphere.c does not appear as shown in color plat
e 21.The color change suddenly rather than smoothly.It seems that the workstatio
n support only a few colors.(my system is a sparc machine with Solaris 2.3)
Would anyone please to give me some advice what is going on?
Any comment, please reply by email so that I would not miss the response.

Great help is needed.
Thanks in advance.

Timmy,

2. SoFaceSet Node Type using Splines

3. O'Reilly PHIGS book available now!

4. Maximum resolution for Octane?

5. PEXLib Programming Manual

6. Help with re-sizeing images

7. Animators wanted in Gauteng, South Africa

8. Example of PHIGS compliant PEXlib code using linux?

9. OpenGL, PHIGS, PEXLIB, Direct3D.

10. PHIGS vs. PHIGS plus specs

11. Phigs drawing program, phigs library

12. O'Reilly X/Motif books available for download