Does my scanner work right? -- Please advise.

Does my scanner work right? -- Please advise.

Post by Oleg Vo » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Recently, I bought Vista 6e flat-bed scanner from UMAX (from PC
Connections). When testing it, I found that the results had strong color
fringing at the edges (red/violete and green, even if original was B&W
scanned in RGB mode). Scans of color prints showed same problem.

I placed a 5KB file at http://www.ddb.com/olegv/vista.jpg as an example -
if you view it at 4:1 or 5:1 you will see color fringes around the edges.
I got a replacement unit from PC Connections -- and it has the same
problem!

Question to the gurus is - are such artifacts normal for the cheapo
scanner or a sign of misaligned optics/some other problem?

Thank you very much.

--
Oleg Volk

http://www.ddb.com/volkstudio
NEW photos on Christmas: "Familiar Strangers"
Private page updated January 6

Does my scanner work right? -- Please advise.

Post by scott turne » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Totally weird..i'm writing about the exact same problem only its just
started happening in the last few months.  I'm scanning images from clients
brochures but also some high res photographs and i'm getting a rainbow wash
of RGB in even thirds across the image almost as if the scanner is picking
up a reflection of some sort.  Smae question  to the gurus is - are such
artifacts normal for the cheapo scanner or a sign of misaligned optics/some
other problem?

TIA

Quote:> Recently, I bought Vista 6e flat-bed scanner from UMAX (from PC

Post by Manfred Mueller-Spaet » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> up a reflection of some sort.  Smae question  to the gurus is - are such
> artifacts normal for the cheapo scanner or a sign of misaligned optics/some
> other problem?

Unfortunately they are! Cheaper scanners do not scan very exactly, so
the three color levels won't fit picel by pixel, there is an overlap,
which is remarked best at hard contrasts given by black to white edges.
Here you can see red, green, magenta oder cyan shades - the effect on
the whole image is a bad focus. Sharpen the image will help a little bit
- but the best will be to change the scanner. This experience is made by
myself :-( I had a Panasonic, several Tamaracks, an older Umax, Mustek -
they all had the problem. Today I use an Umax based Linotype-Hell
scanner sold by Vobis (Germany), which minimizes the problem. HP
scanners maybe good too.

Regads, Manfred

P.S.: The example given ny Oleg is just normal hardness... ;-)))

1. Does my scanner work right? -- Please advise.

[...]

2. Rotated Ellipse

3. Am I doing this right please?

4. Fullscreen AVI

5. Please Advise me on my scanner

6. glReadPixels and Back Buffer Rendering

7. Am I doing this right?

8. Design done right the first time

9. Project getting underway, am I doing it right?

10. Am I doing this right?