PSP 5.03 and Genuine Fractals Plugin??

Post by Don Cohe » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Much has been said of the value of using Genuine Fractals to enlarge images for printing with less than usual sacrifice of quality.

I downloaded and installed the demo version.  Prior to that, I created a Plugin subdirectory in PaintShopPro (which apparently had not been created during the install process).  When I installed GF, it placed two .8bi files in that folder.  I then went to PSP's General Preferences...Plugins...and using the browse function, selected that directory, which contained those files, clicked OK.  (Use of plugins *was* enabled).

But, nothing happened.  No Plugins addition was made to the Image menu.

I also happened to have a copy of Photo Deluxe 1.0, which my daughter had installed, and so using one of the other folders in that plugin preferences window, selected the plugins directory of that program.  This time, a Plugins option was added to the Image menu, and I was able to access those plugins.  (Most of them didn't work, giving an error message of some type, which I thought probably meant that they weren't fully compatible, but I don't know).

The Genuine Fractals program is designed purely as a PhotoShop plug-in, so I'm perplexed about why PSP isn't able to recognize it.  The .8bi files were both large (around 1.2 mb) while the host of PhotoDeluxe files were less than 200k at most, so I don't know if that is related.

Anybody able to get Genuine Fractals working in PSP?  And if so, how?

Thanks.

Don

(The URL to download the demo of GF is: http://www.altamiragroup.com/ .

PSP 5.03 and Genuine Fractals Plugin??

Post by Joe Cilinceo » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Make sure you have the proper DLL in the \windows\system folder
(MSVCRT10.DLL) and possibly Adobe's Plugin.dll as well. Also double check
your path under Preferences as well. 8BI filters should also show up under
File > Export in most cases as well at least mine do.

--

Joe Cilinceon
http://newdawn.gzinc.com/

[...]

Hi Joe,

I've got MSVCRT10.DLL where it's supposed to be.

I found plugin.dll in the photodeluxe plugin folder.  So I tried again and
installed the GF into that directory, and selected that folder in PSP's
Plug-ins preference window.

This activated the photo-deluxe plug-ins, but *not* the GF ones.

So I'm still at ground zero.  Still see no way to get this plug-in to work
with PSP.

Have you tried installing this yourself, and got it working?

Any other thoughts welcome.

Don

>Make sure you have the proper DLL in the \windows\system folder
>(MSVCRT10.DLL) and possibly Adobe's Plugin.dll as well. Also double check
>your path under Preferences as well. 8BI filters should also show up under
>File > Export in most cases as well at least mine do.

>--

>Joe Cilinceon
>http://newdawn.gzinc.com/

>Much has been said of the value of using Genuine Fractals to enlarge images
>for printing with less than usual sacrifice of quality.

>I downloaded and installed the demo version.  Prior to that, I created a
>Plugin subdirectory in PaintShopPro (which apparently had not been created
>during the install process).  When I installed GF, it placed two .8bi files
>in that folder.  I then went to PSP's General Preferences...Plugins...and
>using the browse function, selected that directory, which contained those
>files, clicked OK.  (Use of plugins *was* enabled).

>But, nothing happened.  No Plugins addition was made to the Image menu.

>I also happened to have a copy of Photo Deluxe 1.0, which my daughter had
>installed, and so using one of the other folders in that plugin preferences
>window, selected the plugins directory of that program.  This time, a
>Plugins option was added to the Image menu, and I was able to access those
>plugins.  (Most of them didn't work, giving an error message of some type,
>which I thought probably meant that they weren't fully compatible, but I
>don't know).

>The Genuine Fractals program is designed purely as a PhotoShop plug-in, so
>I'm perplexed about why PSP isn't able to recognize it.  The .8bi files
were
>both large (around 1.2 mb) while the host of PhotoDeluxe files were less
>than 200k at most, so I don't know if that is related.

>Anybody able to get Genuine Fractals working in PSP?  And if so, how?

>Thanks.

>Don

>(The URL to download the demo of GF is: http://www.altamiragroup.com/ .

PSP 5.03 and Genuine Fractals Plugin??

Post by Joe Cilinceo » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I suggest you copy both DLLs to the \Windows\System folder then reboot. Now
if it doesn't work it is probably because the filter isn't compatible with
PSP. I'm not familiar with it myself so I really can't say.

--

Joe Cilinceon
http://newdawn.gzinc.com/

> Hi Joe,

> I've got MSVCRT10.DLL where it's supposed to be.

> I found plugin.dll in the photodeluxe plugin folder.  So I tried again and
> installed the GF into that directory, and selected that folder in PSP's
> Plug-ins preference window.

> This activated the photo-deluxe plug-ins, but *not* the GF ones.

> So I'm still at ground zero.  Still see no way to get this plug-in to work
> with PSP.

> Have you tried installing this yourself, and got it working?

> Any other thoughts welcome.

> Don

> >Make sure you have the proper DLL in the \windows\system folder
> >(MSVCRT10.DLL) and possibly Adobe's Plugin.dll as well. Also double check
> >your path under Preferences as well. 8BI filters should also show up
under
> >File > Export in most cases as well at least mine do.

> >--

> >Joe Cilinceon
> >http://newdawn.gzinc.com/

> >Much has been said of the value of using Genuine Fractals to enlarge
images
> >for printing with less than usual sacrifice of quality.

> >I downloaded and installed the demo version.  Prior to that, I created a
> >Plugin subdirectory in PaintShopPro (which apparently had not been
created
> >during the install process).  When I installed GF, it placed two .8bi
files
> >in that folder.  I then went to PSP's General Preferences...Plugins...and
> >using the browse function, selected that directory, which contained those
> >files, clicked OK.  (Use of plugins *was* enabled).

> >But, nothing happened.  No Plugins addition was made to the Image menu.

> >I also happened to have a copy of Photo Deluxe 1.0, which my daughter had
> >installed, and so using one of the other folders in that plugin
preferences
> >window, selected the plugins directory of that program.  This time, a
> >Plugins option was added to the Image menu, and I was able to access
those
> >plugins.  (Most of them didn't work, giving an error message of some
type,
> >which I thought probably meant that they weren't fully compatible, but I
> >don't know).

> >The Genuine Fractals program is designed purely as a PhotoShop plug-in,
so
> >I'm perplexed about why PSP isn't able to recognize it.  The .8bi files
> were
> >both large (around 1.2 mb) while the host of PhotoDeluxe files were less
> >than 200k at most, so I don't know if that is related.

> >Anybody able to get Genuine Fractals working in PSP?  And if so, how?

> >Thanks.

> >Don

> >(The URL to download the demo of GF is: http://www.altamiragroup.com/ .

PSP 5.03 and Genuine Fractals Plugin??

Post by Don Cohe » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the suggestions, Joe, but unfortunately, they didn't work.

I submitted the problem to JASC's email tech support.  Their initial
suggestions were the same as yours.  I let them know this didn't work, and
am waiting for their reply.

I asked that they download it themselves, and give it a try - that would
determine whether the problem is in something I'm doing wrong, or if the
plugin just isn't compatible with PSP for whatever reason.

Don

>I suggest you copy both DLLs to the \Windows\System folder then reboot. Now
>if it doesn't work it is probably because the filter isn't compatible with
>PSP. I'm not familiar with it myself so I really can't say.

>--

>Joe Cilinceon
>http://newdawn.gzinc.com/

>> Hi Joe,

>> I've got MSVCRT10.DLL where it's supposed to be.

>> I found plugin.dll in the photodeluxe plugin folder.  So I tried again
and
>> installed the GF into that directory, and selected that folder in PSP's
>> Plug-ins preference window.

>> This activated the photo-deluxe plug-ins, but *not* the GF ones.

>> So I'm still at ground zero.  Still see no way to get this plug-in to
work
>> with PSP.

>> Have you tried installing this yourself, and got it working?

>> Any other thoughts welcome.

>> Don

>> >Make sure you have the proper DLL in the \windows\system folder
>> >(MSVCRT10.DLL) and possibly Adobe's Plugin.dll as well. Also double
check
>> >your path under Preferences as well. 8BI filters should also show up
>under
>> >File > Export in most cases as well at least mine do.

>> >--

>> >Joe Cilinceon
>> >http://newdawn.gzinc.com/

>> >Much has been said of the value of using Genuine Fractals to enlarge
>images
>> >for printing with less than usual sacrifice of quality.

>> >I downloaded and installed the demo version.  Prior to that, I created a
>> >Plugin subdirectory in PaintShopPro (which apparently had not been
>created
>> >during the install process).  When I installed GF, it placed two .8bi
>files
>> >in that folder.  I then went to PSP's General

Preferences...Plugins...and

Quote:>> >using the browse function, selected that directory, which contained

Post by Paul Vanukof » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

: Thanks for the suggestions, Joe, but unfortunately, they didn't work.

: I submitted the problem to JASC's email tech support.  Their initial
: suggestions were the same as yours.  I let them know this didn't work, and
: am waiting for their reply.

: I asked that they download it themselves, and give it a try - that would
: determine whether the problem is in something I'm doing wrong, or if the
: plugin just isn't compatible with PSP for whatever reason.

I downloaded and installed the filters. I cannot get them to be recognized
either. So I just think they are not compatible, unless there is something
we are both overlooking ... :)

http://www.primenet.com/~vanukoff/

"I'm not done talking about this ... I just ran out of words to use."

PSP 5.03 and Genuine Fractals Plugin??

Post by Joe Cilinceo » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

One other thing you might check is any dll that install with the filter. In
some cases you might have to move them to \windows\system folder as is the
case with the toolbox.dll that comes with extensis filters. If this doesn't
work I would guess it will not work at all with PSP.

--

Joe Cilinceon
http://newdawn.gzinc.com/

.

PSP 5.03 and Genuine Fractals Plugin??

Post by Don Cohe » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the confirmation, Paul.  At least I know it's not something I'm
obviously doing wrong.

I have email into PSP's tech support as well as GF's tech support, to see if
I can get this resolved.

It's puzzling, because the product is explicitly and specifically designed
as a Photoshop plugin.

Let me know if you figure anything out.

Don

>: Thanks for the suggestions, Joe, but unfortunately, they didn't work.

>: I submitted the problem to JASC's email tech support.  Their initial
>: suggestions were the same as yours.  I let them know this didn't work,
and
>: am waiting for their reply.

>: I asked that they download it themselves, and give it a try - that would
>: determine whether the problem is in something I'm doing wrong, or if the
>: plugin just isn't compatible with PSP for whatever reason.

>I downloaded and installed the filters. I cannot get them to be recognized
>either. So I just think they are not compatible, unless there is something
>we are both overlooking ... :)

>--

>http://www.primenet.com/~vanukoff/

>"I'm not done talking about this ... I just ran out of words to use."

1. Genuine Fractals with PSP 5.03

Altamira claims Genuine Fractals 2.0 can be used as a plugin with  PSP 5.03.
I downloaded the demo and installed it. When I try to save images as a .stn
file I sometimes get freezes that cause PSP to crash. When I do successfully
save what I think is an image, I get an error message that tells me the .stn
file contains no data. Does anyone know of a remedy  for this problem or a
tutorial for using PSP with Genuine Fractals?

TIA

LG

2. dialog-based DirectX-app

3. PSP and Genuine Fractals

4. **nice** cigarette smoke

5. Genuine Fractals w/PSP?

6. Contrast & Highlight Algorithms

7. PSP 5.03 - delete a color

8. CPU's

9. Color correcting pictures and PSP 5.03

10. 5 Re: Saving files as Jpeg (Psp 5.03)

11. PSP 5.03 lockups when browsing