Searching 3D-Rendering-Tool(Linux) for network-rendering

Searching 3D-Rendering-Tool(Linux) for network-rendering

Post by Thomas Fran » Thu, 14 May 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I own Linux since 4 months. I'm very interested in rendering over a
network.
Is there any program under Linux or Unix which makes this possible?
Is it for free? Where can I get it?
And where can I get example-sceens to test it?
Which modeller is the best to construct sceens for it?

Hope someone can help me:-)

        Tom:-)

Post by Thomas Willhal » Fri, 15 May 1998 04:00:00

> I own Linux since 4 months. I'm very interested in rendering over a
> network.
> Is there any program under Linux or Unix which makes this possible?

I think you should try POV-Ray.

Quote:> Is it for free? Where can I get it?

It's free. You can get it at www.povray.org (and many other places
including e.g. the SUSE Linux distribution). The extension that enables
it to be used on several machines can be found at
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/6386/PVMPOV.html

Quote:> And where can I get example-sceens to test it?

Some are included in the packages, others can be found at www.povray.org
or www.irtc.org.

Quote:> Which modeller is the best to construct sceens for it?

Personally, I prefer paper, pencil, and emacs. But you may want to try
the modellers that are mentioned on povray's page.

ThW

--

http://www.informatik.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm/
Tschieses lavs ju

Searching 3D-Rendering-Tool(Linux) for network-rendering

Post by Stephan Ahone » Fri, 15 May 1998 04:00:00

Interesting note; Laterly, I've been trying to get Linux. Which distribution
is best? I've heard alot about Red Hat, so I'm trying to get that.
Second thing: I don't really understand how to get it. Red Hat's web site
kept mntioning "boot images on the FTP sites" but I never found any. Help!

-*Sig File*-
remove the "s" / it matters not which / from my address / to reply to my
post / or you will get a * bounce message.
Tip of the day: (changes with every email)
Update your signature file often.
www.ohno.home.ml.org - Oh No! Another Web Page!
And for the newsgroup email address collectors...

Searching 3D-Rendering-Tool(Linux) for network-rendering

Post by Gregor Zyc » Fri, 15 May 1998 04:00:00

Mahlzeit!

Quote:> Hello,

> I own Linux since 4 months. I'm very interested in rendering over a
> network.
> Is there any program under Linux or Unix which makes this possible?
> Is it for free? Where can I get it?
> And where can I get example-sceens to test it?
> Which modeller is the best to construct sceens for it?

http://www.pages.drexel.edu/undergrad/gen22/linux.html
should answer some of your questions (currently it seems to be down)
The best modeller I am aware of for Linux is sced.
Quote:

> Hope someone can help me:-)

>         Tom:-)

Ciao
        Gregor
--
Gregor Zych                               \|/   ___   \|/  Nur die Harten

Hier arbeiten 166 Millionen Herz,         /__( \___/ )__\  Garten
48 MB, ein Esel und ein Pinguin              `\__`U_/'

Searching 3D-Rendering-Tool(Linux) for network-rendering

Post by Michael Lunda » Fri, 15 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Interesting note; Laterly, I've been trying to get Linux. Which distribution
>is best? I've heard alot about Red Hat, so I'm trying to get that.
>Second thing: I don't really understand how to get it. Red Hat's web site
>kept mntioning "boot images on the FTP sites" but I never found any. Help!

There is no "best", just more or less suited for your needs.
What you do is that you get a boot-disk with the Linux-installer. Then,
if you have a good internet-connection, Linux can be installed over the
net.
There are several distibutions. Red Hat and Debian are concidered
among the best.  Why not spend $30-$40 and order a Linux-CD?

/Michael

Searching 3D-Rendering-Tool(Linux) for network-rendering

Post by Richard L. Madd » Fri, 15 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Personally, I prefer paper, pencil, and emacs. But you may want to try
>the modellers that are mentioned on povray's page.

What are EMACS ?
                                  RLM

Post by Peter Olausso » Fri, 15 May 1998 04:00:00

> What are EMACS ?

Emacs is a text-editor, exists for many platforms but in Unix/Linux
it's the editor of choice.

(What the previous poster said whas thus that he didn't use any
modeller at all - only "paper, pencil and emacs".)

PO

Searching 3D-Rendering-Tool(Linux) for network-rendering

Post by Michael Lunda » Fri, 15 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>What are EMACS ?

Emacs is a text-editor that brings an entire new meaning to the
plug in-concept :) In my not so humble opinion, it the best
deicated text-editor there is. One nice feature is font-lock.
It colors the code for you, making it much easier to read.
Other things include automatic indents, instant parenthesis checking,
not to mention the cute little games that comes with it.

Speaking of which, in dunnet (textbased adventure-game in Emacs), what's
the login and password to use on Pokey to be able to log on? Or am I
supposed to find that later?

Back to the subject. There is Emacs for Windows, I use it at home. Works
like a charm and with my tree-button mouse, cut-and-paste is a dream :)

/Michael

Searching 3D-Rendering-Tool(Linux) for network-rendering

Post by Andrew » Fri, 15 May 1998 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:> Where can I get EMACS ( for Windows ) and how many years salary will
> it put me back ?
>                                                        RLM

You might try www.gnu.org, it might have a link to a site that has a
win32 port of emacs.  Emacs probably won't set you back any salary, it's
free (like free speech) software, meaning the source code is freely
available to download, or modify, or redistribute. However, almost all
free software is also free (as is free beer).
        Just a warning here, most people will either love emacs, or hate it.
The interface is a little hard to learn, not as hard as vi, though.
Personally, i find emacs slightly confusing, although it's probably
because i haven't used it enough to get the hang of it.

Andrew

Post by Jim M. Pier » Sat, 16 May 1998 04:00:00

[]      Just a warning here, most people will either love emacs, or hate it.
[] The interface is a little hard to learn, not as hard as vi, though.

   Not trying to start a 'which is better' but I have used
several different versions/implementations of vi and some were not
easy to use. The one I use on this AIX machine [ medea.gp] is easy
to use.

   For my Amiga computer I use 'dme'.

   Any sort of text editor for your platform of choice wil work, as
long as it saves in ascii-text.

JimP.
--
           Jim Pierce Bach. of Sc. Disclaimer:Standard.
             Video: Grace Jones 'Slave to the Rhythm'

Searching 3D-Rendering-Tool(Linux) for network-rendering

Post by Richard L. Madd » Sat, 16 May 1998 04:00:00

>[snip]
>> Where can I get EMACS ( for Windows ) and how many years salary will
>> it put me back ?
>>                                                        RLM

>You might try www.gnu.org, it might have a link to a site that has a
>win32 port of emacs.  Emacs probably won't set you back any salary, it's
>free (like free speech) software, meaning the source code is freely
>available to download, or modify, or redistribute. However, almost all
>free software is also free (as is free beer).
>    Just a warning here, most people will either love emacs, or hate it.
>The interface is a little hard to learn, not as hard as vi, though.
>Personally, i find emacs slightly confusing, although it's probably
>because i haven't used it enough to get the hang of it.
>Andrew

Thanks Much.         RLM

Post by Andrew » Sat, 16 May 1998 04:00:00

> []      Just a warning here, most people will either love emacs, or hate it.
> [] The interface is a little hard to learn, not as hard as vi, though.

>    Not trying to start a 'which is better' but I have used
> several different versions/implementations of vi and some were not
> easy to use. The one I use on this AIX machine [ medea.gp] is easy
> to use.

>    For my Amiga computer I use 'dme'.

>    Any sort of text editor for your platform of choice wil work, as
> long as it saves in ascii-text.

> JimP.
> --
>            Jim Pierce Bach. of Sc. Disclaimer:Standard.
>              Video: Grace Jones 'Slave to the Rhythm'

I use vi almost all the time, when I'm on the console.  It's not really
that hard, once you figure out to hit escape.  Emacs is hard to use for
me, too many keybindings to remember.  All I'm saying is that if you
hand vi to someone used to dos editors, then hand them emacs, they'll
get farther with emacs.  But quiting is another matter with emacs (the
first time I used it, i spent 10 minutes trying to quit, and ended up
killing it anyway.)

1. Searching 3D-Rendering-Tool(Linux) for network-rendering

Hello,

I'm new on this Mailinglist and I own Linux since 4 months. I'm very
interested in rendering over a network. Is there any program under Linux
or Unix which makes this possible? Is it for free? Where can I get it?
And where can I get example-sceens to test it? Which modeller is the
best to construct sceens for it?

Hope someone can help me:-)

        Tom:-)

2. Clipping Paths from 2.5 into Quark!...How do you....

3. ULTIMATE list of Render Farm Network Rendering Tools for Maya

4. Wanted - Designer 3.1 for Windows with OLE

5. Network Render Management Tool

6. Hardware Help?

7. search tool for rendering yachts

8. OpenGL in an ActiveX control

9. can you render avis in a network render?

10. search tool for rendering yachts