Material map with transparent texture?

Post by John Bicke » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

    I'm hoping that there is a solution to the following problem in
    POV-Ray:

    I have a two-colour bitmap that I want to turn into an extruded
    object (like the text objects). I thought I might be able to do
    this by using a material map on a box object, like so . . .

        material_map {
            gif "extrude.gif"
            texture { T_Gold_3C }
            texture { pigment { rgbt <0, 0, 0, 1> } }
        }

    . . . but this produces an image on the front and back of the
    box, with nothing opaque inside it (the gif is a black drawing on
    a white background). If I switch the two mapped textures, I get
    a solid looking box on the sides, but it's hollow if you look in
    through the transparent part.

    I've been poking through the POV-Ray docs to see if there is
    something that will make the texture work on the inside of the
    box, but the closest thing I can find is the height_field object,
    which could have its base chopped off in order to have
    transparent bits, but which looks like it would be a little flaky
    around the edges of the drawing, rather than looking sharp.

    Am I missing something? Is there a painless way to create this
    kind of thing (where painful = making a real object out of the
    picture, where each pixel is a tiny box object, or some sort of
    prism, unless someone has written a program to do this already
    :-)?

    Thanks in advance.

Post by Johannes Huber » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>    I'm hoping that there is a solution to the following problem in
>    POV-Ray:

>    I have a two-colour bitmap that I want to turn into an extruded
>    object (like the text objects). I thought I might be able to do
>    this by using a material map on a box object, like so . . .
>  [snip]

You will want to use a height-field. Look up chapter "7.5.2.5 Height Field"
in the docs.

Johannes.

1. Texture Map Unwrapping WITH materials How?

Hi,
        I was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to unwrap rendered
materials into a single bitmap. For example, in the game Wing Commander
3, the artists created high resolution 3d models of the ships complete
with materials etc. They rendered these and took the mapping complete
with highlights, shading, shadows and applied it as a single bitmap to
lower poly versions of the same ships.
        Lets say I make a space ship with several different materials on it.
Some are metallic and they have a chrome effect when I render them. In a
low poly game you can't get that kind of rendering so is there a way to
render the detailed model and have 3ds max unwrap all the materials from
the object and save it as a single distorted Bitmap that could be mapped
onto a low poly model?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Adnan

2. Tintes glass question...

3. Problem with texture mapping and disable default material

4. No Help Files

5. Transparent texture maps in POVray? (was: no subject)

6. Is there a vector to raster plugin ?????

7. Semi transparent texture maps in D3D

8. Mixing texture mapped and non-texture mapped polys

9. To texture map or not to texture map....

10. transparent texture and texture inside a sphere

11. Q: Radiosity and transparent materials

12. Transparent Materials